Gun collection... Hobby or addiction?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3wbdriver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Leesville
    What may start out as a hobby turns into an addiction soon after getting hooked. Damn near as bad as crack and can be just as expensive.

ADDICTION definately gets my vote. Always looking for my next fix.

Been back into it for 2 years this month. I have to take off one shoe to count up my total, but won't be specific. Last year was a good year due to lots of overtime. This year has been somewhat leaner. Aside from ammo to feed them I make my purchases using O/T or tax returns, and haven't had any O/T this year. :(

My wife says it's my current obsession since I gave up racing. ;)

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I'd say addictive hobby. I have a few guns, only been into it for about 2 1/2 years now.

G23
    AR15
    AK47
    Rem 1100 Auto shotgun
    Mossberg 500
    Ruger 10/22

Adding:
    G27
    AR15 (M4gery)
    Rem700 or a Savage bolt gun
    WASR-2
    SKS

Gotta start hitting up the extra duty details soon to start paying for all of it.

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    Addiction but a good one.Can a man really have too many guns?I think not. I have a Ruger redhawk 9 1/4 bbl.with leupold scope.G-30 andG-17.10 different model Ak-47s. 2 Ak-74s.A Rossi 38. A Beretta 22 neos.A Rossi 223 rifle w/scope.A kel-tec pf-9 (not a 380).And a 1919a4.Oh and a doubble bbl shotgun that my pappy gave me. And I miss all the ones that life has forced me to sell. But thats ok I will buy more.

mike1952

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    dont want to count them

It is a pleasant addiction. I dont want to count them because if my wife asks I can just say I dont know. My current craving is for single actions especially Ruger Bisleys. I got three in the last two months in addition to my need to add a 15-3 to collection of older Smiths. Oh, almost forgot I did get a new Redhawk with the 4in barrel to keep my 5.5 in model company.

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You Forgot One Word...

HOBBY? - YES!
    ADDICTION? - YES!
    INVESTMENT? - YES!

It's that latter word that makes it all work for me. It even gives my wife a sound reason for not flying off the handle every time I buy another gun. Believe me, that helps!

I've pointed out to her that over the years, when we've had a need for immediate cash, guns were the first assets sold. She had to agree. And, as we've set aside savings over the years, I explained that I'd rather enjoy that money hanging on the wall as a gun, rather than sitting in a stuffy bank vault, or some accounting firm's musty old books. BORING!!

I made up inventory books showing detailed photos of each gun, including info on the purchase, the gun's condition, any additions or changes made to it or accessories purchased for it, its estimated value, and a list of potential buyers names, addrsses, phone numbers, etc.. My wife and other heirs know of these records, which bank they're kept in, etc., and how to use them most effectively. (Those records would be mighty handy in the event of a loss through theft or natural disaster. Great records for Police and insurers!)

Below is a picture of one of my open books, to give you an idea. These records, including any bills of sale, receipts, etc., are slid down into the sheet protector with the gun's history.

If you've got any questions, I'll be glad to try to answer them.

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF

GUNINVENTORYSHEETSSIZEDetc.jpg

(Permission is hereby granted to any user of this Bayoushooter Forums to use any of my foregoing text and/or photos for their own use. FloridaFialaFan.) :thumbsup:

FloridaFialaFan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Takes More Than One...

Actually, Jon, that's just the pistols book. I also have one for long guns, one for SOLD items (ATF wants those for your C&R records), and a book just for accessories like holsters, antiques ammo, etc.,

It's not as difficult as it may sound from my description above. It gets easier once you get caught up.

Best regards ~ ~ ~FFF

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    addicted

I have added 8 smiths to my collection in the last 12 months. Just recently a model 18-3 (thanks papa chuck). Those old smiths are very addictive. I am now on the prowl for a 1st model outdoorsman or a model 17 K22.

Top Bottom