Gun found at Tioga High School

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Inside the car in the glove compartment :confused: Wonder what the charge was? Does he get a motorcycle?

Gun found at Tioga High School
    By Katherine Gouner
    Source: Associated Press
    Updated: March 16, 2010 5:01 PM

Mark A. James, Jr., 18, is charged with having a gun at Tioga High School in Rapides Parish. The handgun was found in the glove compartment of a car in the parking lot at the school.

The principal had the car searched after someone tipped him off. The student was released from jail after posting a $1,500 bond

http://www.wbrz.com/news/gun-found-at-tioga-high-school/

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Inside the car in the glove compartment :confused: Wonder what the charge was? Does he get a motorcycle
    Possession of a handgun on school property
    Handgun found in car at Tioga High; student arrested

A Tioga High School student has been arrested after a handgun was found in a car parked at the school.

The principal at Tioga High School got a tip Monday morning that a student at the school may have a gun in his possession, and a search turned up a .22-caliber handgun, the Rapides Parish Sheriff’s Office reported.

Mark A. Jones Jr., 18, a student, was arrested and charged with one count of possession of a handgun on school property, authorities said.

The assistant principal discovered the gun in the glovebox of a car parked on school property around 7:30 a.m. Monday. The Rapides Parish Sheriff's Office School Resource Officer was present during the search and made the arrest.

A second student was given a juvenile citation and released to his mother, sheriff's officials said.

The case remains under investigation.
    http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/...found+in+car+at+Tioga+High++student+arrested+

:)

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I know Katherine Gouner. We went out a few
    times and I did her headshots. Bizarre story.

You need to call her and get the rest of the story. :)

Maybe they never read this part of RS14:95.2

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity which cannot be regulated by the state, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well since I wanted to know what the RS they guy was charged with I called RPSO to ask if they knew. The Deputy really didn't act like he knew what I was talking about so I told him it was in our local news in BR.
    He said since it was a school it would be a juvenile deal and he wouldn't be able to tell me anything. I told him the guy was not a juvenile that he was 18.
    I told him the story we have was that the gun was in the glove compartment of his car, and we wanted to know the LRS he was charged with.
    Well he didn't know but told me it was because he had a gun on the school grounds. And that you cannot have a gun on school grounds.
    I asked him if he has read LRS 14:95.2 and the exceptions, he really didn't answer.
    We talked a little more and again I asked if he had read it and the exceptions, at that time the light must have went on in his head. He said in a pissed off voice "are you telling me to read the law" I said I just wanted to know if he's read it. He said "is that all you want" I said yes and we hung up.

I don't think he's read it.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    School property is a federally mandated "Gun free zone" cars included. On a side not I graduated fromTioga.

Does that mean our State law is no good? Does the Federal law trump or our Louisiana Constitution?

Since I see you are in French Settlement why wasn't that kid arrested awhile back for having a gun in the truck at FSHS when they locked both schools down?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I remember when our principal asked us to stop putting our rifles in the gun racks on the rear windows of our trucks. Put them behind the seat and don't tell me about them, he said.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Times have changed. When I was in 7th grade (1972), I did a book report on John Hershey's "Hiroshima". For my visual aid, I brought a 25 lb practice bomb to class. No problem. :D

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    I remember when our principal asked us to stop putting our rifles in the gun racks on the rear windows of our trucks. Put them behind the seat and don't tell me about them, he said.

My high school had a gun safe in the dean's office. We were allowed to bring "hunting" guns during hunting season as long as we went to the office and told our dean. He would walk down to your car with you and then go lock it in the safe. When it was time to get off of school he would walk with you to your car and that was the end of it. Had to be in some sort of case though, be it a soft case or lockable hard case.

He always seemed very annoyed at the process and several times he said "this is totally unnecessary."

Our senior year we wised up and started parking at the church across the street. Made life easier for everyone. I always kept a hand gun in my vehicle, I just NEVER told anyone about it.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    We had guns all the time when I was in school we live in the country. When the old lady than ran the lunch room retired the school gave her a 12ga. semi auto at the end of the year program. She loved to hunt.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Schools are not federal gun free zones. In fact, public schools are in no way protected by the US constitution.

Hence why firearms ARE allowed at schools in some states.

LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    Well since I wanted to know what the RS they guy was charged with I called RPSO to ask if they knew. The Deputy really didn't act like he knew what I was talking about so I told him it was in our local news in BR.
    He said since it was a school it would be a juvenile deal and he wouldn't be able to tell me anything. I told him the guy was not a juvenile that he was 18.
    I told him the story we have was that the gun was in the glove compartment of his car, and we wanted to know the LRS he was charged with.
    Well he didn't know but told me it was because he had a gun on the school grounds. And that you cannot have a gun on school grounds.
    I asked him if he has read LRS 14:95.2 and the exceptions, he really didn't answer.
    We talked a little more and again I asked if he had read it and the exceptions, at that time the light must have went on in his head. He said in a pissed off voice "are you telling me to read the law" I said I just wanted to know if he's read it. He said "is that all you want" I said yes and we hung up.

I don't think he's read it.

That is RPSO for you. I went to Tioga from 99 to 02. They are prolly the biggest joke in the state! Event though he was wrong for having a gun on school property he did break the law. Hopefully he is a good kid and he will get the charges dropped. Knowing RPSO they will do everything to keep him in Jail. That is Funny he asked do you need me to read the laws? I would have said well tell me what it says.

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Gonzales
    One question comes to mind, no warrant is needed to search a locked auto? What is the differance between being at a public school or on a public street?

FishingBack

Slave to Society
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    He did not break a Louisiana law. The federal gun free zone bill is broken every time you drive within 1000' feet of a school.

That law really needs to get brought to the SC.....

What I want to know is, how do they go about charging him with a federal law? Do they have to turn him over to federal authorities?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom