GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" WOW! Worth the watch!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schnugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I like the speed of the personal security box combo system, but while in the USAF I had multiple occasions where we had legitimate needs to get past them without knowing the combo. Like all combination locks they are essentially a time delay. I can get past a five button in less than 5 minutes when I'm on my game.

Smart and sneaky kids can likely do the same. Something to think about.

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    The fire "Proofing" in most safes is not going to keep a gun safe in a house fire.

I would hope that some of your safe with a ul rating for fire with 30-45-90 minute of protection would work for close to their time as long as the fire was put out before too long. If you are out in the woods so to speak, the fire dept. probably want make it in time. I pray to never have to find out though, going through a flood is bad enough.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Pretty much why I have not bothered. It's about as useful as a "gun free zone" sign. Just shows em where they all are is about it.

huh!? Did you watch the video?

They show you why having GOOD Safe is indeed worth it.

Actually a person with a more than thug IQ can walk in with just a few small items in their pocket and open any of those safes without damage and take what they want. Well not just any person, one has to know the proper ways.

Ok pal..... :mamoru:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I would hope that some of your safe with a ul rating for fire with 30-45-90 minute of protection would work for close to their time as long as the fire was put out before too long. If you are out in the woods so to speak, the fire dept. probably want make it in time. I pray to never have to find out though, going through a flood is bad enough.

Yeah, dig into those fire ratings, they are pretty useless. Insurance is a much better investment unless you are protecting items with sentimental or historical value. House fires are extremely rare so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but gun insurance is really cheap and the NRA sponsored gun insurance has awesome ratings.

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Home security should be in layers IMO.

Being present on your property without drawing attention from something (dogs, alarms, cameras, etc.) shouldn't be easy.
    Entering your house shouldn't be easy (reinforced door frames and locks and windows).
    Staying in your house for any length of time shouldn't be easy (alarm).
    Accessing your valuables inside your house shouldn't be easy (safe).

GunAddict

constitutionalist
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 23, 2008
    North Monroe, La. area
    Yeah, dig into those fire ratings, they are pretty useless. Insurance is a much better investment unless you are protecting items with sentimental or historical value. House fires are extremely rare so I wouldn't worry about it too much, but gun insurance is really cheap and the NRA sponsored gun insurance has awesome ratings.

Yes, securing sentimental items and my wife worries more about fire than I do, but I am at more odds of a fire due to possibility of a lightening strike. My radio equipment with their antennas see to that and already had one major hit at another home. Just another benefit of being a ham.
    And Hitman, those digital keypads are not safe, a key or dial combination is what to go with. Just think how the kids learned how to use the keypads on the coke machines to get the free drinks out of them. Each safe comes with a master code and most allow you to program 2-3 of your own. It don't take long, with a little persistence. I rented an apartment near Atlanta and the maintenance guy stood there and had me punch in my own code for the alarm. I found the paperwork on it and learned it had a master code but not in the book. It did not take me very long to find out what that code was or at least another one that worked also. So the common thug may not have an idea, but there people that can, and I am not nor ever have been a criminal. Just a healthy curiosity of all things that work, electrically and mechanically.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Home security should be in layers IMO.

Being present on your property without drawing attention from something (dogs, alarms, cameras, etc.) shouldn't be easy.
    Entering your house shouldn't be easy (reinforced door frames and locks and windows).
    Staying in your house for any length of time shouldn't be easy (alarm).
    Accessing your valuables inside your house shouldn't be easy (safe).
    I agree completely . The last thing I'm worried about is a professional safecracker . Nosy neighbors , noisy alarm system , safe , insurance . That's my system and I'm comfortable with it .

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    If you can't afford a safe that will withstand reality, fine! That is understandable! But for people to discount the added security they provide over cheaper safes, and bash these upper tier safes, is just silly.

I would allow any of you to try to get into my Fort Knox; if you replaced it with the exact same model when you finished scarring it up and finally realized you weren't getting in!

And Jade Raven is correct!

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Fort Knox makes about the prettiest Residential Security Container (RSC) on the market. You are paying for all that pretty stuff, extra bolts that don't mean anything, and the replacement warranty in the event of fire or burglary. ( In essence paying twice what it is worth to cover replacement costs).

A Cannon, Liberty, Patriot, AMSEC, can do the exact same thing as Fort Knox (all offer RSC safes) for cheaper. That said, it really boils down to the Mercedes vs. Honda argument. Buy what makes you happy!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Fort Knox makes about the prettiest Residential Security Container (RSC) on the market. You are paying for all that pretty stuff, extra bolts that don't mean anything, and the replacement warranty in the event of fire or burglary. ( In essence paying twice what it is worth to cover replacement costs).

A Cannon, Liberty, Patriot, AMSEC, can do the exact same thing as Fort Knox (all offer RSC safes) for cheaper. That said, it really boils down to the Mercedes vs. Honda argument. Buy what makes you happy!

You should check your facts! Go to the Fort Knox website and watch the video of the trained safecrackers breaking easily into all of the cheaper versions you speak of.

Sometimes, peace of mind comes as a result of a quantifiable reality!

ulshop

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    lafayette
    Is there a shop similar to the one in the video (multiple brands, knowledgeable staff, etc..) in our area or reasonable driving distance. Interested in picking up a safe, but every company claims to have "the best".... great video.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    You should check your facts! Go to the Fort Knox website and watch the video of the trained safecrackers breaking easily into all of the cheaper versions you speak of.

Sometimes, peace of mind comes as a result of a quantifiable reality!
    You might want to educate yourself on this.

http://www.thesafesource.com/safe_ratings.htm

Fort Knox is nothing more than a very nice RSC. Fairly easy to get into with the right tools. I almost bought one years ago until I did a ton of homework and research and talked with and learned from people in the industry. It was the wrong safe for my wants/needs, but may be perfect for yours.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You might want to educate yourself on this.

http://www.thesafesource.com/safe_ratings.htm

Fort Knox is nothing more than a very nice RSC. Fairly easy to get into with the right tools. I almost bought one years ago until I did a ton of homework and research and talked with and learned from people in the industry.

Stop it! Take the time to visit the Fort Knox website. You will see they make a plethora of different safes for differing purposes!

If you are willing to pay for the right safe, you won't be disappointed! I will buy another (Ft. Knox), very soon!

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Stop it! Take the time to visit the Fort Knox website. You will see they make a plethora of different safes for differing purposes!

If you are willing to pay for the right safe, you won't be disappointed! I will buy another (Ft. Knox), very soon!

Call and ask them what the UL rating is for their 10K+ Legend Series safe. Then do some research about the "fire board" that they use for fire protection. Compare that to what actual high end safe makers use.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

Those other brands listed, with exception of AMSEC, are not as nice as Fort Knox, but Fort Knox RSC's are over complicated and over priced. You should look elsewhere, unless you just like paying twice as much as a safe is worth or you want the pretty safe with a cool name and extra worthless bolts. The actual AMSEC safes are actually safes.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Those other brands listed, with exception of AMSEC, are not as nice as Fort Knox, but Fort Knox RSC's are over complicated and over priced. You should look elsewhere, unless you just like paying twice as much as a safe is worth or you want the pretty safe with a cool name and extra worthless bolts. The actual AMSEC safes are actually safes.
    +1

AMSEC makes the best safes for the money, after that its Graffunder or custom made.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Call and ask them what the UL rating is for their 10K+ Legend Series safe. Then do some research about the "fire board" that they use for fire protection. Compare that to what actual high end safe makers use.

+1

AMSEC makes the best safes for the money, after that its Graffunder or custom made.

Choice is a good thing! Customer satisfaction is a good thing! Value is a good thing! I am completely satisfied with my choice and the value of what I spent for it! ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom