GUN SAFES "THE TRUTH" WOW! Worth the watch!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Well that really makes my $400 Sentry seem like a POS.

I did buy mine mainly originally to keep my guns out of my kids hands. I will be investing in a much nicer one though in the near future since my collection has grown and so has the value of it. I figure if I can spend $3k on one pistol I might have well have a safe thats at least comporable in quality to protect it and all my others.

Last edited:

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Well this thread finally pushed me to buy a safe. I don't have near the quantity or quality of weapons as some people here do, but I wanted to at least keep little hands off of them but have them easily and readily accessible.

pwl822

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    boyce
    any safe is better than no safe, and with weapon prices up, and some sold out, making burglaries go up.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Been trying to put some money into a jar for a "Real, more secure, gun safe" than the little getup I have now.

As my boy gets older, I figure my "man cave" room will just get a deadbolt and locking doorknob to keep him out. It's easier than buying a safe or locking cabinet for all the ammo and everything. He's 6, so I have a while before the really curious nature and dedication to mischief begins. I do need some more security though.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Well that really makes my $400 Sentry seem like a POS.

I did buy mine mainly originally to keep my guns out of my kids hands. I will be investing in a much nicer one though in the near future since my collection has grown and so has the value of it. I figure if I can spend $3k on one pistol I might have well have a safe thats at least comporable in quality to protect it and all my others.

First and foremost reason to buy ANY safe if this applies!

Exactly!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    As my boy gets older, I figure my "man cave" room will just get a deadbolt and locking doorknob to keep him out. It's easier than buying a safe or locking cabinet for all the ammo and everything. He's 6, so I have a while before the really curious nature and dedication to mischief begins. I do need some more security though.

You sure?

I mean it never really happen for my brother and I. We were shooting all the time as mere children so there was no secret guns or gun cases we just HAD to get into. We knew what they were and where they were but we damn sure knew that Pop would kill us if we handled them without him. But we never got the urge to b/c we knew we'd be shooting them again soon anyhow.

Not saying we shouldn't always prepare for the worse but I think we should consider putting firearms in their hands on a regular basis more so than hiding them from them and warning them to never touch them(incising them to do so).

Not saying that's your case just making a general point.

I can remember as a kid that it seemed those few kids always talking about their Dad's guns, never got to handle them let alone shoot them. Yet kids like us who were shooting bottles and snakes on the weekend in the summer and Hunting during the season, guns were like Meh, so what.....we used them all the time.

Just something to think about I guess.

I also have used a chain lock at the top corner of my closet b/c that's where I keep my gear on a series of slender racks and shelves I built behind the clothes. Ammo on the top shelf near the ceiling.

Last edited:

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    My dad didn't buy a safe until after my brother and me moved out, He never worried about us screwing with them and we had loaded 22s in our rooms since we were 7 or so. It's about education and familiarzation with them than keeping the kids away from them. My safes are only for protection from my guns growing legs and walking away on their own, not for anybody in my company, or my families safety.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    i think if most people put a little thought into their purchase and decide what needs they have then they can buy a lower end safe with some confidence in it. like others have said short of holloywood your not going to run into a professional safe cracker thats going to break into joe bobs house and steal his small collectoin. put a little thought into a few things before purchasing and you should be ok.

for instance i have an older frame house, pier and beam. if my house caught fire it would probably be fully engulfed and on the down side within a half hour. my safe is close to an exterior wall. im fairly confident my safe would make it through a house fire due to those reasons. i worry more about damage from the safe falling the few feet to the ground once the floor burned out.

if you have a brick home with all sheetrock and you place the safe in the center of the house it is going to see higher temps for a longer period due to the construction of the home. this is assuming the fire dept wasn't right there getting it under control. so buy something with a higher rating.

even in the video from the op he said the most common thing is for people to take the safe. so if you make it more difficult for them to do that you are raising your success rate in the event of a burglary.

from the research i have done and common sense. if you purchase a safe that will survive a fire for long enough for your circumstances, bolt it down in a confined area (closet or similar) so that an intruder can't easily steal the entire thing. thats about the most you can do. your common criminal isn't going to put in the effort to figure out how to get into it. they are going to grab your flat screen tvs and other valuables and haul ass. now if you have a collection worth several hundred thousand dollars you may find you have different needs.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hitman, I'm all about making sure he can shoot, supervised, whenever he wants. I'm already training him with the BB gun and he's shot my .22 a few times, sitting on my lap. He's progressing and shows good discipline.

I just want to "Keep an honest boy honest" when I'm not around, later in life, and reduce any risks of when he has other kids over. There is already a rule that he isn't allowed in the room without me. I have power tools, saws, blades, camping gear and tools, racks of ammo, loaded mags, and my current gun safe. Just too much there for a 6 year old to have an accident with. If I'm in the room, he'll stand in the doorway and ask if he can come in. I usually let him, and he asks questions and I tell him what things are, what they're for, etc.

I agree 100% - I think familiarity avoids the stigma that causes kids to do stupid things out of curiosity.

dwhess504

Broke Joke
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Ponchatoula, La
    You sure?

I mean it never really happen for my brother and I. We were shooting all the time as mere children so there was no secret guns or gun cases we just HAD to get into. We knew what they were and where they were but we damn sure knew that Pop would kill us if we handled them without him. But we never got the urge to b/c we knew we'd be shooting them again soon anyhow.

Not saying we shouldn't always prepare for the worse but I think we should consider putting firearms in their hands on a regular basis more so than hiding them from them and warning them to never touch them(incising them to do so).

I can remember as a kid that it seemed those few kids always talking about their Dad's guns, never got to handle them let alone shoot them. Yet kids like us who were shooting bottles and snakes on the weekend in the summer and Hunting during the season, guns were like Meh, so what.....we used them all the time.

I also have used a chain lock at the top corner of my closet b/c that's where I keep my gear on a series of slender racks and shelves I built behind the clothes. Ammo on the top shelf near the ceiling.

The new thing I hear is "kids are curious these days" That is a lame statement. Teach your kids what a gun is and how they are used. Take them to go shoot.

I keep everything locked up BUT I would feel just fine having a old time gun cabinet with bullets on the bottom. too bad they are not in style like they used to be haha.

I taught my 9yo every time he receives a gun from another to check it Even if I just gave it to him. we practice simple safety items like that

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You sure?

Absolutely agree here.

My 7 yo and my 14 yo almost think shooting is passe' now! Both still like it, but they are over the; "You want to see my dad's guns?" mentality.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Absolutely agree here.

My 7 yo and my 14 yo almost think shooting is passe' now! Both still like it, but they are over the; "You want to see my dad's guns?" mentality.

Yea that's what I'm shooting for now. (Pun intended) :D

But will protect them from themselves until that point. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom