Guns Stolen from Vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I've been watching the threads about guns stolen out of trucks and it's pissing me off. If you can't scratch up $30 to buy one of these and use it....

then you don't have the maturity or responsibility to own a gun.

And don't even bother giving me the **** and moan about how I'm mean, don't understand, circumstances, blah, blah, blah. ********.

All you guys love your platitudes about how you're responsible for every bullet, well how about the 15 or so that were in your gun when you left it unsecured in a vehicle parked out in open? Do you think that gun was handed over to a Boy Scout troop? You might as well have driven up North Foster drive and tossed it out on the street. Not only can those guns come back to threaten one of our LEOs, that can also appear in your wife's face at the mall parking lot with a thug on the other end.
    Grow up, secure your weapon.

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Nice. Read about those $30 safes and seems they're sorta cheap, but I guess it's better than having an easy smash and grab. Saw a very nice one for $350ish.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Nice. Read about those $30 safes and seems they're sorta cheap, but I guess it's better than having an easy smash and grab. Saw a very nice one for $350ish.

If you use the braided cable to secure it to a seat support, then the bad guy would need bolt cutters or a crowbar, and more time than they would be willing to invest in a smash and grab.

The Console Vault is nice, if you can afford one. I have both in my vehicle because the Console Vault will not accommodate a 1911 or similar size pistol.

But you don't have to spend more than $30 to be a responsible grown up with your gun.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Too bad we can't treat vehicle burglars like they used to treat horse thieves (wistful thought for the day)....:hs:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not going to preach, because I've been guilty of leaving my gun in the car on numerous occasions and I admit that it's a bad habit.

I've had one of these and it will hold up fine in a "smash & grab" situation, but if a someone has a set of snips (and 15 seconds) or a screwdriver (and about 60 seconds), he could probably get into it or take the whole box. That braided cable leaves a bit to be desired. It's better than nothing, but the best option is to just take it out of the car.

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I looked at one of those boxes and a $1 screwdriver with a $2 hammer would defeat it. They look flimsy to me. If you had one of those finger combination safes you put under your bed attached with some krypton cable, you might have something.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    Just a question here, but why do you carry your gun in your vehicle? Because you might need it right? So, what do you do if you need it and it's locked inside a box?

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    All you guys love your platitudes about how you're responsible for every bullet, well how about the 15 or so that were in your gun when you left it unsecured in a vehicle parked out in open?

Amen. Completely irresponsible. No excuse.

Just a question here, but why do you carry your gun in your vehicle? Because you might need it right? So, what do you do if you need it and it's locked inside a box?

You lock it when you HAVE TO LEAVE IT in the vehicle.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I am slightly perplexed! What circumstance is it where you cannot carry your gun in with you where you are going and still be suceptable to thievery? Even if you work at a gun free facility, are you going to get your vehicle broken into while it's in the company's parking lot? In a post office parking lot? Voting booth? Council meeting? Where?

If you leave it in your vehicle at night, why? What good is it there without you?

Now I do have my secondary in my truck in the console; but I live and sleep behind fences and gates and so does my truck. Besides that secondary would never cost me $700 and it would never be my primary.

I just don't understand.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I bought the gunvault mini vault because that $30 one seems easy enough to break into with a screw driver. The mini vault still has that flimsy cable on it though. But at least they can't get into it with a screwdriver.

Sometimes people can't carry their guns everywhere, and have to leave them in the truck. This is where the lock box comes in.

girl1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    I agree... if you gonna leave it in your vehicle atleast secure it there ! i lock my in my glove box and have a cable in there to secure it.... when i get in car i unlock it for in case i would need in it emergency.... leave the car and lock it up again.... :doh:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    a lot of good points being tossed around, but hasn't this dilemma actually been solved for about 150 years?

NN1-holster-l.jpg

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    I am slightly perplexed! What circumstance is it where you cannot carry your gun in with you where you are going and still be suceptable to thievery? Even if you work at a gun free facility, are you going to get your vehicle broken into while it's in the company's parking lot? In a post office parking lot? Voting booth? Council meeting? Where?

If you leave it in your vehicle at night, why? What good is it there without you?

Now I do have my secondary in my truck in the console; but I live and sleep behind fences and gates and so does my truck. Besides that secondary would never cost me $700 and it would never be my primary.

I just don't understand.

It's better to have one than to not. It's cheap. I just got back from a bachelor party in grand isle. We fished all day and drank all night. For obvious reasons, I didn't want to leave my gun in my bag, so I left it in my truck. Yeah I couldn't use it if I needed it, but I'm not supposed to be carrying when I'm drinking and I'm not going to wear it on my board shorts while I'm fishing. If I wanted to, I could have taken the box out my truck and locked it in my bag.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    I'm not going to preach, because I've been guilty of leaving my gun in the car on numerous occasions and I admit that it's a bad habit.
    JC - I agree.

My lifestyle make it easy for me not to leave a gun in a vehicle. While I am not a big fan of leaving a gun in a vehicle there are times when it happens. I even have times when I have to leave it in another persons vehicle. I do make every effort to minimize the exposure.

I hate leaving a gun in a vehicle and that is what the NO GUN policy forces some who legally carry to do. Now the choice comes down to leaving the gun in a vehicle or leaving it at home. Locking the gun in a vehicle will slow down a thief. It may not prevent them from getting the gun. Any time a thief can get to your gun is a chance you may have the thief use it on you when you get back to your car or home.

Any constructive advice is always welcome.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    JC - I agree.

My lifestyle make it easy for me not to leave a gun in a vehicle. While I am not a big fan of leaving a gun in a vehicle there are times when it happens. I even have times when I have to leave it in another persons vehicle. I do make every effort to minimize the exposure.

I hate leaving a gun in a vehicle and that is what the NO GUN policy forces some who legally carry to do. Now the choice comes down to leaving the gun in a vehicle or leaving it at home. Locking the gun in a vehicle will slow down a thief. It may not prevent them from getting the gun. Any time a thief can get to your gun is a chance you may have the thief use it on you when you get back to your car or home.

Any constructive advice is always welcome.

Consider the trunk!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SSWEEEE
    Top Bottom