Guns Stolen from Vehicles

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm not going to preach, because I've been guilty of leaving my gun in the car on numerous occasions and I admit that it's a bad habit.

I know I'm being preachy. But dammit, these are not pocket watches, they're firearms. And somehow, some people think that if it's an inexpensive gun or one they don't mind losing then it's okay to leave it out..."it's just a truck/boat/camp gun so if it get's stolen it's no big deal." Or, "it was [insert flimsy excuse of your choice here] to bring it in the house last night."

I'll bet money that if everyone knew that if their gun was stolen it would be used by a bad guy on a member of their own family, these attitudes would tighten up pronto. But stolen guns disappear from sight, they get used on other peoples families. Your gun could impact my family, that's why I'm being preachy, I'm sick of the irresponsible behavior.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's better to have one than to not. It's cheap. I just got back from a bachelor party in grand isle. We fished all day and drank all night. For obvious reasons, I didn't want to leave my gun in my bag, so I left it in my truck. Yeah I couldn't use it if I needed it, but I'm not supposed to be carrying when I'm drinking and I'm not going to wear it on my board shorts while I'm fishing. If I wanted to, I could have taken the box out my truck and locked it in my bag.

Unless you were sleeping on the beach in a tent; you still could have put it inside your motel/condo. If you couldn't trust yourself or your drinking buddies with the gun sitting in your luggage or dresser or under your mattress; you probably will eventually have yours stolen too.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Bass Pro has another safe that works well in traveling. It may not be big enough for a 1911 but it will hold a smaller carry hand gun. The cable is about 1/4" thick and could not be cut with wire snips. When traveling it works well when you want to leave valuables in the room or something locked in your vehicle. So many smash and grabs are done because things are left in plain site in the vehicle.

There are so many ways to conceal your gun if you have to leave it in your vehicle. If you leave it in your vehicle because it is to big to carry you might need to consider something smaller.

Concealed carry means just that.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Consider it for what? What are you saying & what are you resonding to? In the vehicle includes the trunk. Or a van or SUV with no defined trunk.

Where are you going to be where a petty vehicle thief is going to smash your window, open your trunk, and rifle through your trunk looking for a hidden gun? Possible? Yes! Plausible? Not so much.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    There are places to hide it on a bike too. I don't think I have ever heard of a smash and grab on a motorcylce. :dunno:

lol I was talking about a truck. I suppose you could put it in the toolbox, but those can be farely easy to break into, and probably draw less attention than busting a window.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    This tread could be a very useful thread if treated constructively.

Nit picking arguments won't help. Being argumentative won't really help. I don't think I need a dickheaded ass chewing from anyone. So if you want to discuss some options to help your fellow gun owners let's do it. If you want to have an egotistical finger pointing rant and just feel superior go ahead and ruin it. Drag it down the with petty I got you ********.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Bass Pro has another safe that works well in traveling. It may not be big enough for a 1911 but it will hold a smaller carry hand gun. The cable is about 1/4" thick and could not be cut with wire snips. When traveling it works well when you want to leave valuables in the room or something locked in your vehicle.

I can't find anything on their website that matches up to your description. Can you give a link or name? If there's something better than what I'm currently using I would like to check it out.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    This tread could be a very useful thread if treated constructively.

Nit picking arguments won't help. Being argumentative won't really help. I don't think I need a dickheaded ass chewing from anyone. So if you want to discuss some options to help your fellow gun owners let's do it. If you want to have an egotistical finger pointing rant and just feel superior go ahead and ruin it. Drag it down the with petty I got you ********.

Calm down! I was being serious.

There are plenty of ways to creatively hide a handgun inside your vehicle where the hurried scum won't look. Under the dash, inside the seat, false platform under the seat, under the floor mat, under the hood, in the wheel well, magnets, pouches, remember "Hide a key"?

I realize that these scum out there are learning more of the tricks, but what are you going to do?

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I looked at one of those boxes and a $1 screwdriver with a $2 hammer would defeat it. They look flimsy to me. If you had one of those finger combination safes you put under your bed attached with some krypton cable, you might have something.

According to Cabela's web site the materials are...

"Constructed of heavy-duty 21-gauge steel. Includes a 1,500-lb.-test security cable"

I'm no engineer, could you really cut that cable with snips?

I'm sure the lock is the weakest part of the box. I have no illusions about stopping a skilled thief who has working time but I don't think that's the typical vehicle break in profile.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    For those of you that doubt that little safe there was a video of a guy using a hammer and screwdriver testing one and it took him about 15 minutes from what he reported. Not sure if he sucked at it but the average thief that breaks into cars does not bring bolt cutters for the cable. Also, mine is attached to the seat and doesn't have enough cable to be able to really swing a hammer so it would take a little work. At this point I just keep a little emergency cash, extra mags, and a personal check in it.

My other safe mounted under the seat takes a little more work especially because you don't have enough room to get any leverage on it but I'm sure with the right tools people can do it. I just want to be able to stop the quick hits that most guys commit. They would have to look under my seat from the backside to even see it as it doesn't look like anything from the front.

Funny story though the flash light I keep in my truck now was left by the last guy that broke into my car so I did gain something out of it.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    What self-respecting man drives a car?

:D j/k

mycar1.jpe

February 20, 1968
    TO: All Plymouth Dealers

Subject: 1968 Hemi Barracuda Super Stock

The Chrysler-Plymouth Division offers for the 1968 models a 426 Hemi-Powered Barracuda Fastback for use in
    supervised acceleration trials. These cars will weigh approximately 3,000 pounds and have been designed to meet
    the 1968 specifications of the major sanctioning drag strip organizations.

The Hemi-Powered Barracudas will be available through production is limited quantities in March. To order this
    vehicle, use the Barracuda Order Form and specify Body Code BO29 and Transmission Code, either 4 Speed
    Manual, Code 393, or Automatic, Code 395. No other specifications are necessary.

Description of Components

426 cu. In. 8-cylinder engine with dual 4-barrel carburetors- 12.5 to 1
    compression ratio.

Cross Ram Intake manifold.

1 11/16" x 1 11/16" Holley carburetors.

Competition Hooker headers, exhaust pipes, and mufflers.

High capacity oil pump.

Roller timing chain (reduced timing chain stretch for more consistent
    engine performance).

Mechanical valve gear.

Dual breaker distributor.

Transistor ignition.

Metal core type ignition wires.

Unsilenced air cleaners.

Deep groove fan drive pulleys.

Heavy duty radiator.

Aluminum seven-blade fan equipped with Viscous drive.

Special offset 15" rear wheels.

Chrysler-built 8 ¾" large stem pinion gear set, and heavy-duty axle
    shafts with automatic transmission (4.86 axle ration).

Dana-built 9 ¾" heavy-duty axle with manual transmission (4.88 axle
    ration).

Sure-Grip differential.

135 Amp. Hr. battery (located in rear compartment).

Heavy-duty high control rear suspension.

Front disc brakes 41/2" Bolt Circle.

Fiberglass front fenders.

Fiberglass hood with scoop.

Light weight steel doors.

Light weight front bumper.

Light weight side window glass.

High capacity fuel lines.

Business coupe interior (2 bucket seats - no rear seat).

For Manual Transmission Only

Special heavy-duty 10 ½" clutch and flywheel.

Safety steel clutch housing.

Competition "Slick Shift" 4-speed transmission.

Hurst remote mounted floor-shift unit with reverse lockout.

For Automatic Transmission Only

High stall speed torque converter (large drive lugs and 7/16"
    diameter attaching screws).

Heavy-duty manual shift TorqueFlite transmission.

Hurst floor-mounted shift unit.

Please Note:

The following items are deleted on this body type:

Heater, Body Sealer and Sound Deadeners, Silence Pads, Outside Mirrors, Right Side Seat Belt and Body Color
    Paint.

NO OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT OF ANY KIND CAN BE ORDERED

The policy of Chrysler Corporation is one of continual improvement in design and manufacture, wherever
    possible, to insure a still finer car. Hence, specifications, equipment and prices are subject to change without
    notice.

These vehicles are intended to use in supervised acceleration trials and other competitive events, therefore, they
    will be sold without warrant. Special stickers will be provided for plant installation (attached to left "A" post)
    which will read as follows: "This vehicle was not manufactured for use on public streets, roads or highways and
    does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

All customer orders must be accompanied by a signed disclaimer (sample attached) indicating that the purchaser
    understands that this vehicle is sold without warranty and does not conform to Federal Vehicle Safety Standards.

Any prospective customer who desires to purchase one of these maximum performance vehicles should be made
    aware of the following characteristics which make them unsuitable for general use.

A high idle speed is required to insure adequate lubrication, minimize roughness, and to keep the
    engine from stalling.

The modified intake manifold causes a rich surging condition, misfiring and unstable engine
    operation in cold weather, which makes ordinary street driving extremely difficult and it is not
    recommended for this use.

Higher than normal oil consumption will be encountered because of increased lubrication to the
    valve train and cylinder walls.

The carburetors are calibrated for maximum power and a high numerical axle ration is used for
    acceleration. As a result, the gas mileage is considerably less than for a conventional car.

Engine noise would be objectionable due to increased piston clearance and mechanical valve
    tappet clearance.

The ignition system is designed for optimum engine output and must be kept in top condition. This
    makes it necessary to inspect, adjust and replace the spark plugs and ignition points more
    frequently than would be necessary on a standard engine.

On car equipped with automatic transmission, band adjustment must be made frequently.

Due to performance characteristics, maintenance and operating expense will be high since premium
    fuel is required and frequent oil changes are a MUST.

Does not conform to Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.

Warranty and Policy Coverage

Any customer purchasing this model vehicle should be advised that due to the expected use, the vehicle is sold
    "as is" and the 24 month or 24,000 mile vehicle warranty coverage, the 5 year or 50,000 mile Power Train Warranty
    coverage, or any other warranty coverage (including, but not limited to the implied warranties of fitness for
    purpose intended or merchantability) will not apply to the vehicle. The manufacturer assumes no responsibility for
    the manner in which such vehicles operate.

Any repairs or adjustments which you believe warranty factory participation should be brought to the attention of
    your Regional Service Office where such requests will be handled on individual merits.

Attached is a form letter (to be prepared on your letterhead) which should be thoroughly understood and signed
    by each prospective purchaser and attached to your order for each Hemi Barracuda Super Stock. The purpose of
    the letter is to explain the normal operation characteristics of these vehicles and clarify that the warranty
    coverage’s do not apply. Be sure a letter in this form, signed by your customer, is included with your order so
    there will be no delay.

1968 Hemi Barracuda

It was inevitable that Chrysler would build the Hemi Barracuda. For the past four years, drag racers had been
    gutting Barracudas and dropping in 392 and 426 Elephant Engines. Since Chrysler had enjoyed tremendous
    success on the dragstrips in Super Stock and Unlimited Fuel since 1963, the decision to continue that domination
    by building a factory super stocker (with some assistance from Hurst) was a natural.

The S/S Hem Barracuda was assembled by Chrysler as a package and then shipped to Hurst. Although the
    number varies from source to source, at least fifty and possibly as many as seventy-five Barracudas were shipped
    to Hurst’s facility in Detroit. The conversions were coordinated by Dick Maxwell at Chrysler and Richard Chrysler
    at Hurst. As delivered to the dealers, the cars had fiberglass hoods and fenders, while the front bumper and doors
    were light-gauge steel. The interiors were gutted and Bostrom driver seats installed.

To squeeze the mighty Elephant into the Barracuda’s tight engine bay, some modifications had to be made under
    the hood. The battery was moved to the trunk, and the right shock tower was moved, as was the master cylinder.
    Hurst also installed custom headers, shift linkages for four-speed cars and special rear-axle assemblies. Off the
    transport trailer the cars were delivered on street tires. All that was needed to make the car competitive was slicks,
    a deeper oil pan (a small pan was installed for shipping), camshaft and valvetrain.

The S/S Hemi Barracudas were delivered to racers in early May, in time to qualify for the NHRA Spring Nationals.
    Ronnie Sox was one of the first to get a Hemi Barracuda on the strip and turned mid 10s right out of the box.

The introduction of the S/S Hemi Barracudas created controversy in the stock ranks, where the little guy now
    found himself pitted against nation record holders in factory-built race cars. On February 20, 1968,
    Chrysler-Plymouth general sales manager R.D. McLaughlin outlined for dealers- and racers - what they could
    order. The following is a reprint of his letter in its entirety.

http://www.musclecargarage.com/Chryslerannouncementletter.html

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I agree... if you gonna leave it in your vehicle atleast secure it there ! i lock my in my glove box and have a cable in there to secure it.... when i get in car i unlock it for in case i would need in it emergency.... leave the car and lock it up again.... :doh:

Most glove boxes are easily opened.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom