Handgun Competition--Your thoughts please

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Why isn't Silhouette shooting more popular than it is today?

Please share with me why there aren't more people interested in this sport. For those not familiar of which I speak, we shoot steel targets in the shape of game animals at ranges beginning at 50 meters and on out to 200 meters. I had been deeply involved in stretching the effective range of handguns even before handgun silhouette became popular in our state back in 1980. IHMSA Silhouette gave me a venue to test my skills. At one time there were 8 active ranges in Louisiana and you could shoot somewhere every weekend. Monthly matches had as many as 150 entries fired per day. At this time, there are no active Big Bore ranges in this state but I am trying to get one range back up and running. There are ranges in neighboring states. We are however able to shoot smallbore (22LR) monthly in Gonzales. This decline in popularity is spread throughout the country and we have been discussing this issue within our association, looking for answers. I can think of no better place to get some straight speak than right here on BS.

So please share with me why you are not interested in Handgun Silhouette.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    1. lack of knowledge of the sport
    2. not sure a person would be good enough to shoot in the sport (to be competitive)
    3. ammo cost

These might be a few reasons or ideas to consider

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    It's not that I have no interest, but I'm already shooting rifle competitions each week, so I do not have the time.

But a couple of suggestions and comments-
    1- You may want to consider how to better get the word out to people about what the sport is about. Lack of promotion is a big killer.
    2- You may want to consider some type of clinic to show folks what it's about
    3- Many ranges are reluctant to allow the shooting of steel targets anymore due to liability issues

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Most handgunners are going for action oriented venues. Whether that is good or bad thing is anybodies guess. Like NRA conventional pistol (Bullseye) your sport is dying on the vine. At least in Louisiana it is.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You may want to consider how to better get the word out to people about what the sport is about. Lack of promotion is a big killer.

This^ a lot.

For casual competitors as myself, USPSA at the Gonzales Range is pretty damned convenient! I for one, would love to give it a go. But I don't want to run from Baton Rouge to Slidell to try it.

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    some competitions have become a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) - you have to buy real expensive non-practical firearms to shot the sport. I like to be able to shoot with as close as stock/practical gun that I can. i want to go shot 3 gun and when i do it will be my stock G19, my stock ak74 and rem870 without all the tech. it is a matter of time mgt at the moment.
    just my .02¢ worth.
    frank

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Most handgunners are going for action oriented venues. Whether that is good or bad thing is anybodies guess. Like NRA conventional pistol (Bullseye) your sport is dying on the vine. At least in Louisiana it is.

As well as some other non-pistol competitions.
    Action pistol and tactical matches are drawing the big crowds these days.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Thanks for the answers so far. In response to some of your replies, here is what I have tried so far.

I published a detailed article with photos in the Louisiana Shooters Association newsletter......I got zero response.
    I posted match information monthly on this forum for a couple of years (not much lately) and got hardly any response.
    As far as equipment, virtually any 357 mag or 44 mag revolver can get you started and ammo expended at a match is only 40 rounds
    The 22LR game is local to a lot of people (Gonzales) and I know almost everybody has a 22LR handgun plus ammo is cheap.....and becoming available again.

Please keep the comments coming.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    some competitions have become a GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) - you have to buy real expensive non-practical firearms to shot the sport.

That's the way it goes today. At the distances and sizes of the X-ring we shoot, any legal advantage that a person can get to help them win, they do. You can compete with stock gear, but you're gonna have a tough time winning. It's a hobby, just like any other.

Some people fish off the bank with a cane pole. Some fish out of a $35,000 boat with $5,000 worth of rods and equipment. Guess who wins the most tournaments?

And not all the rifles we use are what you would call "non-practical."

Last edited:

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    Thanks for the answers so far. In response to some of your replies, here is what I have tried so far.

I published a detailed article with photos in the Louisiana Shooters Association newsletter......I got zero response.
    I posted match information monthly on this forum for a couple of years (not much lately) and got hardly any response.
    As far as equipment, virtually any 357 mag or 44 mag revolver can get you started and ammo expended at a match is only 40 rounds
    The 22LR game is local to a lot of people (Gonzales) and I know almost everybody has a 22LR handgun plus ammo is cheap.....and becoming available again.

Please keep the comments coming.

Have you tried posting on some of the pistol forums? We have picked up several new shooters posting on other forums. There are a lot of people who post on here, but most do not shoot competitively. And there are a lot of shooters in Louisiana that do not frequent this board, but do other boards.
    It's discouraging when you feel like you are doing everything you can, but don't feel like you're getting anywhere. You just have to keep plugging away until it grows. Or, if you reach a time when you feel you have done everything you can and still nothing, you will know it wasn't anything you did or didn't do.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have the utmost respect for silhouette shooters both rifle and pistol. I understand the discipline and know I do not posses the skill-set required.
    I do think I could walk on to a local IDPA course and not embarrass my self.
    I believe television has been very friendly to other disciplines that are more "run and gun".

Last edited:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have the utmost respect for silhouette shooters both rifle and pistol. I understand the discipline and know I do not posses the skill-set required.
    I do think I could walk on to a local IDPA course and not embarrass my self.
    I believe television has been very friendly to other disciplines that are more "run and gun".

I hear you. Nobody ever said silhouette was easy to master. But it is fun to shoot at any skill level. It's all about personal achievement anyway. Handgun silhouette is divided into categories based on handgun type. You only shoot against people with guns equal to yours. We have categories for fully modified guns and "box stock" guns. Plus you are seperated into classes based on skill level, again to keep a level playing field.

And to repeat myself, it all boils down to personal achievment. If I attend a match and shoot a better score than I ever did before, even if I don't win the match, I consider myself a winner.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just as Donnie was talking about. Your sport is dying. I don't know how long it takes to shoot your match. We shoot a match starting at ~0900 and finish around 1300. We shoot depending on course size 110 rounds. You shoot 40. We can shoot in the Production Division with a 4" semi-auto and a few mags. To shoot in your match, you need to shoot full power loads and have 6" firearm, usually a revolver. We play the run & gun game. You play the lets sit back and watch the grass grow. Not that it's bad or really easy to do. Most want to play the run & fun game.

Beauxdog

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Just as Donnie was talking about. Your sport is dying. I don't know how long it takes to shoot your match. We shoot a match starting at ~0900 and finish around 1300. We shoot depending on course size 110 rounds. You shoot 40. We can shoot in the Production Division with a 4" semi-auto and a few mags. To shoot in your match, you need to shoot full power loads and have 6" firearm, usually a revolver. We play the run & gun game. You play the lets sit back and watch the grass grow. Not that it's bad or really easy to do. Most want to play the run & fun game.

Beauxdog

Thanks for the reply BD. It takes about 1 hour to shoot a 40 round entry. Much of that time is spent standing the targets back up, usually by a group of target setters who don't shoot. Actual time behind the trigger is 16 minutes for an entry. I usually fire three entries per match (different categories--different guns) So I shoot 120 rounds. We start at 9am and usually finish by 1:00.

You referred to a big bore (centerfire) match. We also have a scaled down 22LR match which is what we shoot in Gonzales. We have categories to fit any 22 LR handgun. It is at it's base an accuracy game, roughly based more on a hunting theme.

I don't have my head in the sand about our declining participation. I know tactical is the new cool. I'm looking for as many points of view from as many people as possible about why what we do has so little appeal.

I appreciate all comments. Thanks to all.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    This^ a lot.

For casual competitors as myself, USPSA at the Gonzales Range is pretty damned convenient! I for one, would love to give it a go. But I don't want to run from Baton Rouge to Slidell to try it.

We shoot smallbore in Gonzales, you don't have to go to Slidell.

And as far as equipment, I started way back when with a 6" Colt Huntsman 22LR semi auto with non adjustable sights. You can have fun with whatever you have. You don't need to spend big bucks on a full custom rig.

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Not saying your match is bad, I'm saying ours is more fun. Would you rather watch a football game or a Curling match. Your match is not an easy one to shoot much less master. Folks can shoot action pistol and go lie about how great they are. Look at what folks see on TV. When was the Nationals for your sport last seen on the tube. Just about every week we see some kind of action shooting sport, weather it USPSA or 3-Gun Nation. I was at the Shot Show and they have all kinds of stuff for the action shooter & not a great deal for the other games. I don't even remember seeing a pistol for the Bullseye matches. I don't have your answer and don't know how to get folks out there. For me it's all about time and where I want to spend it.

Beauxdog

dtrice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    Metarie, LA
    I think the silhouette shooting may be more appealing to handgun hunters. The appeal to me is learning how to shoot at long distance and learning where to hold. Is there a decline in handgun hunting? I think to say that one sport is less fun is highly subjective. I see the appeal of bullseye and silhouette as good training in overall marksmanship skills, whereas the Idpa and uspsa are more like games. I don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. People out there like football and curling.
    But, as far as gear, I'm more competive with my bone stock Sbh in silhouette than I am in uspsa open with my bone stock 1911 vs the race guns. I think that it's important to support all gun sports. Anything that gets people more safe trigger time can't be a bad thing. To say that one sport isn't fun, is not helping. Just because you don't like it, you shouldn't deter anyone who might.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You are correct in that anytime you get folks out to shoot it makes them not only better but a safer shooter. Answer me this, when was the last curling match that put a 100,000 folks in the stands. The NFL is having a draft soon and it will be televised. Do you think curling will draw that much attention. Same thing with the silhouette shooter. It's not very easy and I think that's part of the turn off for a lot of folks. It's hard and most don't want to put the time into it to get better. There are a lot of good shooting sports but the action game draws the attention. Didn't say its right just that it's a fact. He needs to draw the young shooters out and they want to play the action game.

Beauxdog

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom