Handgun for Girlfriend??? Help please.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Now, as much as I like to think I know all, I need some advice on getting a gun for my girlfriend. I know that she should shoot alot of different guns and see which one she likes best, but I dont have access to that broad a range of handguns.

My girlfriend is very petite. Like 5'0" 110 lbs petite. She has obviously small hands. Now, she has shot my 1911 and my M&P Pro, but both seem too large for her to have the best grip. She has also shot a Glock 19 and a Ruger SR9. Both seemed a little big as well.

I know that I could find a revolver that would fit her nicely, but since this will be the only gun in her apartment, I want her to have more capacity and the ability to reload rapidly if need be.

She will of course go through the necessary practice to become comfortable and proficient with the gun. I have been dating her for 6 years, so this isnt her first foray into the world of guns.

I would appreciate any first hand experience anyone has. Thanks.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I personally would go with the revolver idea. It's the easiest for a layman to learn to use. It can lie at rest loaded for long periods of time without weakening the springs. She wouldn't have to learn how to clear jams or work a safety. You can buy many grip sizes to fit her hand. I'd go with something in at least a four inch barrel because they're easier to learn to shoot well than a snubnose. If she can't hit what she's shooting at while training she won't have fun or believe she hit someone if self defense with it.

As far as caliber I'd go with either 357 magnum or 38 special. The 357 magnum would have a greater latitude of rounds available for it making it easier to find a round she shoots well. The benefit to a 38 special is that since most people have been brain washed into thinking that 38 special is too weak for them; 38 special chambered revolvers are cheaper to buy.

Dave

WiLieR

I R Nooble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    Madison, MS
    My wife is also small in frame (5'2") and considers both my S&W 686 and EAA Witness fullsize to be too large for comfort. She has a Rossi model 351 in 38spl and a Bersa Thunder380 that she loves equally. Both are easy for her to hold and the Bersa seems to melt into her hand when she holds it.

I would highly recommend letting her try out many different handguns to find what she likes best and feels most comfortable with.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    +1 on the revo idea. if ur worried about her reloading, get two :D .

Seriously, anything with that much more capacity is going to be double-stack and have the larger grip. I guess some of the single stacks do have 8 or 9 rounds but the simplicity of the revo is hard to beat. Good Luck.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    I personally do not like the ergonmics but the Kel Tec's are very small. You might look into a Kahr as well.

My small framed wife didn't like the felt recoil and "snappiness" of the G26. One would assume the same would hold true for the pistols half the weight of the Glock.

However, you never know until you try. I think if they have strong hands, it may be okay!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Now you know, the only way we can accurately give advice on this issue is if you post a pic of her to give us a better idea of what type of handgun she might require....:D
    (Ha Ha)

Seriously, someone just suggested taking a look at the Kahr CW9...That's a solid choice. 7+1 rounds of 9mm in about as small a package as you'll find. With the right ammo, recoil is fairly light....Check it out. It might be just what the doctor ordered.....

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    She needs to try out whatever she might buy but:

The revolver or two idea is a very good one, you can get a much smaller grip for a full sized one and the size will absorb recoil.

One thing to remember about going with a "smaller" gun is that the recoil will increase.

Precision rents a wide variety of firearms cheap for her to try.

She must have very petite hands if a 1911 is way too big. Most people can handle one.

A small autoloader that I liked was the Kahr CW9, but it's small enough that limp wristing can be a problem.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Plus while it's easier to learn the trigger control for a semiautomatic most of these small pistols are harder to learn to shoot accurately because of the short sight radius. If she's going to keep it in the house she needs small grips not a small gun if you catch my drift. A K-frame sized revolver still has, once the grips are removed a very small gripping area. You can get smaller grips to match that size. The key for her shooting it well is making sure the distance from the web of hand to trigger isn't too long for her. Of course this is true for any type of handgun.

Dave

SlidellArms

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Been in Slidell for 12 years
    I personally do not like the ergonmics but the Kel Tec's are very small. You might look into a Kahr as well.

i agree...i carry a kel tec in my pocket when i dont have my purse, but i do NOT love it lol, the kahr 9 is a very good idea, smallish grip, compact and a better distance, bersa as well...the 380 thunder is perfect for small hands.

Kim

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    kahr cw9 should fit the bill

Yeah, now that you mention it, that may be a perfect fit. I really like my PM9 but I forgot the CW was cheaper and held another round. 7+1 is a respectable load.

Hopefully I won't get slammed here from either side but the Kahrs have always reminded me of miniature Glocks. Maybe they're as reliable; I don't know (yet).

mburch2

Open Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    If you're talking Kahrs, why not consider a K9? All steel. It has the most comfortable feel to a pistol out of anything I've ever held, and its all metal. Recoil is not significant and its pretty small. Nice smooth trigger too.

Never was a fan of Kahr's polymer framed stuff.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.4%
    27   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    She must have very petite hands if a 1911 is way too big. Most people can handle one.

Along those lines, you might try a 1911 with a short trigger and thin grips.

A few rambling thoughts that come to mind: A 1911 might be too large if she is going to go CCW. Full size, all steel 1911's are not light. Something single stack is probably where it's at, though there are some pretty thin double stacks. HK P7's are thin, but kinda heavy and some women may have problems with the squeeze cocker. Sig P6 is a nice slim 9mm. P239 is single stack also. The P250 is available with different size grips, and it's double stack (15+1 I think). I'd stay away from blowback .380's as they have about as much perceived recoil as a delayed blowback 9MM IMO. Plus .380 ammo is expensive and hard to come by.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom