Handgun for Girlfriend??? Help please.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Now, if the gun is only for use in the home, why not a shotgun? Even if 12 ga is too much, I know Mossberg makes tactical-length shotguns in 20 ga. You can get a 20 ga Mossberg with an 18.5" or 20" barrel, pistol grip or normal stock. You'll end up paying less for the thing than for most handguns, and it would be hands down a better manstopper than any small handun, or any handgun period, especially if she can handle the 12.

Of course, if it is not just for the house and you would want something she could bring in the car, then this opinion is entirely useless.

As far as handguns, I'd probably have to vote with the .38 revolver crowd, though assuming you really mean it when you say you would have her become "proficient" with all the special considerations of a semi auto, I would have to vote for small 9mm. I actually like the Taurus PT 111. I know not everyone is a huge fan of the Taurus, but I have several friends who have them and they work a whole lot better than other guns in a similar price range. Surprisingly comfortable to shoot and more accurate than I expected.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I keep reading this thread title as "Handgun or Girlfriend??? Help please."

She should probably try out a Kahr before she gets one.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I just remembered my roommate has a Kahr CW40. Ill see if that fits her hand. My mom also has a .38 j-frame. I recall the girlfriend not liking that one too much. I will be going to the range with her again to shoot some different guns.

The reason Im not getting a shotgun is because I would like her to have the ability to take it with her in her car.

Last edited:

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    I personally would go with the revolver idea. It's the easiest for a layman to learn to use. It can lie at rest loaded for long periods of time without weakening the springs. She wouldn't have to learn how to clear jams or work a safety. You can buy many grip sizes to fit her hand. I'd go with something in at least a four inch barrel because they're easier to learn to shoot well than a snubnose. If she can't hit what she's shooting at while training she won't have fun or believe she hit someone if self defense with it.

As far as caliber I'd go with either 357 magnum or 38 special. The 357 magnum would have a greater latitude of rounds available for it making it easier to find a round she shoots well. The benefit to a 38 special is that since most people have been brain washed into thinking that 38 special is too weak for them; 38 special chambered revolvers are cheaper to buy.

Dave

can't find one thing i disagree with

melisa

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2006
    Gonzales
    I'm not reading what others have posted. I'm just giving my opinion. I like my 19 if it doesn't fit her hand a 26 would work.Its a little smaller. As for a revoler and a female I don't agree with that. Women stress out a lot and those few bullets may not be able to protect her unless she is great at shooting. I think of a revoler as a back up gun. Just my thoughts. Good luck!!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Before you buy a revolver please bring her to the store and make sure she can actually pull the trigger on one.

What Spankey said. I know of several that bought a new J frame size revolver and could not handle the recoil or hard trigger pull. They could handle the G26, CW9 type semi autos much better. There are others on BS that are aware of same.

KnightWolf09

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    New Orleans
    My gf has a taurus pt140. She wanted somthin with a safety. Its a little bigger than some glocks and kahrs but the trigger is light and there's a good capacity. 10+1. May be a little hefty depending on how she would carry it.
    Like evrybody else has said, just try to hold some and shoot some if you can. Hopefully she'll never have to use it though.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Is your girlfriend/wife mentally retarded? If not she will be able to learn to use an Auto-Pistol effectively. The girls need revolvers argument is way way ghey. By the chick a good semi-auto and teach her to use it. If you can't teach her find someone who can. Revolvers are no easier to use then automatics and reloading a revolver involves putting 5 or 6 small sticks in 5 or 6 small holes instead of one big stick in a large hole. Revolvers had their day it much like the time of wood grain auto interiors and full service gas stations has come and gone. Honestly revolvers may still have a niche but it ain't as personal defense weapons. What can revolvers do that Auto's can't do better?

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

I think a small woman might find the long, heavy trigger pull a PITA. The first time I shot mine I did and my meat hooks are, shall we say, ample.

t81gw81utbw1mjusbzxu.jpg

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Revolver, snubbie, in a .38. Can't be beat for women or anyone else for close in defense.

I likr the Rossi .357 because it is a 6 shot and very compact and load it with .38's for her.

h6spjha8y3vrewt2vlv.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Revolver, snubbie, in a .38. Can't be beat for women or anyone else for close in defense.

Yeah you can. Any quality Auto Pistol beats a revolver for close in defense. For instance; I choose a Glock 19. It holds 15 rds of ammo. Thats almost 3 times as much as a snubbie and the bullets, in my case Corbon DPX +P are more lethal. Shouls I need to reload and get back to the work I pull a mag containing another 15 rds out my weak side pocket and in a jiffy I'm making magic happen again.

ofcmetz

Dark Lord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife loves her S&W M&P compact 9mm. She has small hands and with the smallest grip insert it fit her perfectly. She used to have an J frame, but hated the recoil. She doesn't mine shooting the 9mm at all. Semi's just seem to have less bite.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What can revolvers do that Auto's can't do better?

Double strike if it's a GLOCK type pistol.
    Advance to the next round despite a round not going off.
    Carry more powerful ammunition.
    Fire oddly shaped bullets in succession.

There are other things. But open your mind to the ways of the force young jedi.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom