HB 673: Seizure of firearms in domestic violence "claim"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Yea...when there is truly evidence of VIOLENCE and abuse...sure it's an understandable reason for the law.

However.....laws like this just open the door for abuse of the system IMO. I've known some really sick and vengeful women(men too). I'm talking about sick women who spend spend sleepless nights figuring out ways to get revenge of their ex lovers.

And to make matters worse....when the women are gorgeous and convincing.....They have an incredible ability to convince unsuspecting men (and cops )to help them get said revenge.

I can just envision these types of people making unsubstantiated claims and using and abusing the laws/system to cause one loose all of their firearms.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yea...when there is truly evidence of VIOLENCE and abuse...sure it's an understandable reason for the law.

However.....laws like this just open the door for abuse of the system IMO. I've known some really sick and vengeful women(men too). I'm talking about sick women who spend spend sleepless nights figuring out ways to get revenge of their ex lovers.

And to make matters worse....when the women are gorgeous and convincing.....They have an incredible ability to convince unsuspecting men (and cops )to help them get said revenge.

I can just envision these types of people making unsubstantiated claims and using and abusing the laws/system to cause one loose all of their registered firearms.

cough

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Wednesday, April 16, committee room 6:

HB 673 requires seizure of all guns possessed by someone accused of domestic abuse.

http://www.legis.la.gov/legis/ViewDocument.aspx?d=878939

This is very vague. Couldn't any family dispute be construed as "domesitic" violence? Brothers/friends getting drunk and fist fighting over football game argument? Child accidentally injures his/herself at home, and a school nurse, teacher, etc..calls it in (already compelled by law) to authorities?

I would hope that this bill is an attempt to keep police safe when answering these calls; but I'm sure this is not what it intends. This is stupid!

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It appears that HB 673 has been pulled from the agenda. This just means it won't be heard tomorrow, but the sponsor could request it be heard at any future committee meeting. The committee always meets on Wednesdays, and sometimes on Thursdays in addition to a Wednesday hearing.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It appears that HB 673 has been pulled from the agenda. This just means it won't be heard tomorrow, but the sponsor could request it be heard at any future committee meeting. The committee always meets on Wednesdays, and sometimes on Thursdays in addition to a Wednesday hearing.

Or he changed his mind on it due to lack of support (which is what I hope happened).

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts

Thanks for the update!

A5Mag12

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    La-Tx
    If this is ever passed it will be the lawyers that will push women into claiming they are afraid for their life because he once yelled and threatened her. Her lawyer will push it so his lawyer well get to charge to defend the claim.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    Since the beginning of time, there Eas never a lady, that fraudulently accused, theft, rape or violence, to save face or humility. If law abiding male citizen is accused, It is fair to compensate his weapons, firearms, bows and butter knives.
    We all know that accusations in these cases are always legitimate

bhart89

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Can we amend the bill to remove the 1st, 3rd, 4th 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th 9th and 10th amendment rights to someone accused of a crime too? :rolleyes:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Flood the committee reps with email opposing both of these bills, if you cannot be there personally. A mountain of emails WILL make a difference.

If you can be there, BE THERE; that really makes a difference. You do not have to speak if you are not comfortable doing so, just fill out one of the "red cards" and check off that you "oppose the bill, but that you do not wish to speak." If the chairman of the committee ends up with a fist full of red cards, that will go a long way towards swaying a committee member who is on the fence.

I have been there 3 times in the past 3 weeks. I cannot be there this Tuesday because of a scheduling conflict I cannot get out of. We have worked too hard this session to have something like this bill gain any kind of semblance of legitimacy.

Please either email or attend; and spread the word!

THIS times 100.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Flood the committee reps with email opposing both of these bills, if you cannot be there personally. A mountain of emails WILL make a difference.

If you can be there, BE THERE; that really makes a difference. You do not have to speak if you are not comfortable doing so, just fill out one of the "red cards" and check off that you "oppose the bill, but that you do not wish to speak." If the chairman of the committee ends up with a fist full of red cards, that will go a long way towards swaying a committee member who is on the fence.

I have been there 3 times in the past 3 weeks. I cannot be there this Tuesday because of a scheduling conflict I cannot get out of. We have worked too hard this session to have something like this bill gain any kind of semblance of legitimacy.

Please either email or attend; and spread the word!

THIS times 100.

Top Bottom