HB 68 Involuntarily Deferred

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    12-1
    Only Rep. Burrell voted in favor of this bill...

So, LC or someone else who is plugged in, what does involuntarily deferred mean exactly? Is it dead?

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    From LA Quick Guide to Committee Procedure:
    "The motion to defer, voluntarily or involuntarily, also ends consideration of the bill. (see House Rules 6.10(B) Voluntary Deferral occurs when the author or member handling the measure agrees to defer. When the instrument is voluntarily deferred, without objection of a committee member, it can be rescheduled for hearing in the same manner as all other bills referred to the committee. When the author or member handling the instrument requests that an instrument be reported, but the committee votes to defer it, the instrument is involuntarily deferred. It requires the approval of 2/3 of the committee members present and voting on a motion "to reschedule" for such an instrument to be rescheduled."

gun_slinger2006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Ponchatoula
    La legis web site:

Rule 6.10. Hearing on Legislation; Mandatory on Author's Request; Rescheduling Deferred Legislation

A. A committee shall hear, on or before the tenth day preceding the final day for consideration of bills on third reading of the session, any legislative instrument originating in the House of Representatives which the author, in writing, requests the committee to hear.

B.(1) A legislative instrument may be voluntarily deferred upon the request of the author or the member handling the instrument. When a legislative instrument is so voluntarily deferred without objection, it may be rescheduled for a hearing by the chairman at any time in accordance with the rules of the House of Representatives.

(2) When ordered by a majority of the members of the committee present and voting, a legislative instrument shall be involuntarily deferred notwithstanding the request of the author or member handling the instrument to otherwise report the instrument. No legislative instrument which is so involuntarily deferred may be rescheduled for a hearing by the committee; except that if a motion to reschedule the legislative instrument is adopted by a favorable vote of two-thirds of the members of the committee present and voting, the chairman may reschedule the legislative instrument for a hearing by the committee and then only after there has been opportunity for a committee hearing on all other legislative instruments originating in the House of Representatives pending before the committee for which a hearing has been requested. It shall be in order for any member who voted on the prevailing side of the vote by which the motion to defer was adopted to offer the motion to reschedule the legislative instrument.

C. A motion to suspend Paragraph B of this House Rule is a debatable motion.

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    So if I am reading that right, it is done for this year unless somehow he can get 2/3 to vote for a reschedule? Sounds like a tall order considering 12-1 vote to defer. Not only would he have to get every single Dem on the committee to agree, but also half the Rs. And thats a difficult proposition considering atleast two of the Dems (if not more) is strongly on our side (Baldone and Smith)...

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Don't worry, the idiot will keep trying to get his statewide AWB passed and hopefully, it will continue to fail. With all Cedric Richmond's proposed restrictions Louisiana would cease to exist as the "Sportsman's Paradise".

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Chief Warren Riley says he will also try and get a NOLA city wide AWB. I guess he should brush up on our state’s firearms preemption law. Even at the top of the police force, he is unaware of the law.

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    I would just like to thank those here that stay on top of this, and sound the alarm so we can take action. Forewarned is fore armed.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Just to let everyone know, other than the NRA representative, there was only one person at the meeting who opposed the bill. Not very good representation on our part (however a lot of us sent letters and called).

Dan

BR 870

Standing behind you...
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Just to let everyone know, other than the NRA representative, there was only one person at the meeting who opposed the bill. Not very good representation on our part (however a lot of us sent letters and called).

Dan
    Honestly, were I not sick as a dog, I would have gone. But I've been running a fever all week.
    Had I been there though, it would have been hard not to go up to the microphone and explain on a point-by-point basis the thing Rep Richmond was misrepresenting (penetration and overpenetration by centerfire cartridges, especially as concerns the FN 57 and examples of how his ban was FAR more broad than the Clinton ban to begin with)
    Sadly, since I have no credentials my word wouldn't have done much good. It upsets me how little they really know about these things they are trying to ban. I'm a lowlie civvie, and even I appear to know more about these specifics than the Police Chief, C-Ray, or Rep Richmond... Terrifying and Sad. You'd think there would be a requirement that they have to be throughly knowledgable about a subject before attempting to craft legislation about a subject, especially if you are trying to strip away someones Constitutional Rights...

Sorry, rambling... brain on fire... need to lie down...

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

Dan

Only one person who spoke, or only one person who filled out a card ?

IMNSHO Cedric Wilson and Chief Riley are tools. The Criminal Justice Committee members and staff know this. This is an annual event.......these two monkeys push an assault weapon bill, and the committee kills it.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Only one person who was present. He did not speak (although he was prepared to) because he had already written each of the members and because some of the committee members gave the signal that they were ready to get rid of the bill. We just had a really bad physical presence up there.

gun_slinger2006

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Ponchatoula
    I also would liked to have been there but I am at work and don't get off the boat till tomorrow. It could have been fun to shoot down the "facts" that were presented by Richmond and his ilk.

The Mayor and NOPD Brass stole weapons from the honest people once and tried to confiscate guns "leagally ?" this time. It seems we have friends, at least in that committee, for the time being.

Well my friends, we dodged this bullet this time but it WILL return in the future.There's more anti bills and pro bills out there that still need our attention and we know what they are.

If we stick together at least they have to fight to pass this crap and the rest of them know we'er watching.

BR870 hope ya get better soon.

STAY VIGILANT ALL

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Chief Warren Riley says he will also try and get a NOLA city wide AWB. I guess he should brush up on our state’s firearms preemption law. Even at the top of the police force, he is unaware of the law.

Since when did the law ever stop the NO cops from doing something?:rolleyes:

Top Bottom