HB60: if you live here, get a permit here

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    The laws may have changed since my military time ,but there were only 5 types in my day . Not sure if I remember them all but here goes, ( 1 ) honorable ( 2 ) General , which turned hororable after 6 months if you kept your nose clean . ( 3 ) covinence of the Govn't , that covered many reasons including hardship. ( 4 ) Bad conduct discharge , self explantory. ( 5 dishonorable . In my day a Captians mast could not issue a discharge only a court martial could initiate that. If I were in your shoes, I would give that discharge another look over and get in touch with the VA regional office in NOLA or go to VA.Gov to find out more. Hope this helps.

Slidell Jim

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_discharge

# 1.2 Types of discharge

* 1.2.1 Honorable
    * 1.2.2 General
    * 1.2.3 Other Than Honorable (OTH)
    * 1.2.4 Bad Conduct (BCD)
    * 1.2.5 Dishonorable
    * 1.2.6 Entry level separation (ELS)
    * 1.2.7 Commissioned officers

Once discharge is finalized, General, Entry-Level/Uncharacterized, and Under Other Than Honorable Conditions (UOTHC or OTH) discharges may be appealed for upgrade through the Discharge Review Board of the respective service, however, the appeal must be filed within 15 years of the date of separation, and it must be shown that the characterization of service was the result of an error or injustice.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    I guess I think people should be free to carry a concealed firearm, freely, so any situation that restrains people in the slightest, just rubs me the wrong way.

I don't -like- this "well, we'll give up this liberty, if you vote for this other one I like more" crap, either. There's right and wrong, not back-scratch trading. If we're compromising our liberties like that, I think we're playing the wrong game.

Dogman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    There is no reciprocity. FL doesn't recognize a LA non resident.

No one does. LA does not issue non-resident permits.

This is all very simple. We are subject to the laws of the state of LA (and I'm not at all happy about being called a "subject" either) and we either abide by them or suffer the consequences. The abolishment of recognition of the FL non-resident permit was due only to the legislator and governor's office search for more revenue--nothing more. They could care less who gets screwed in the process. And I seriously doubt they give a damn about the requirements of FL vs LA for permitting. The requirements are all arbitrary anyway--set by the legislators based on God knows what (how does a divorce 25 years ago affect carrying a firearm for cryin' out loud!).

But we're subject to it. Get a LA permit or stop carrying in LA. I've already gotten mine although I consider it to be nothing more than a way to blow a little over two hundred bucks.

Top Bottom