Help me before Igo to the gun show.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    After reading, researching, shooting, and buying holsters, and trying to conceal it Im realizing the Ultra Kimber I have may not be my best bet. I love the gun, love how it feels and shoots, and its been 100%reliable but its heavy even with the alum. frame, I dont have the time or money to dedicate to training I should get to carry it, and it prints a little. I love Glocks but tried to carry them and they are worse as for as printing. Im looking at maybe the Walther pps or anything else yall could recommend. I got a great deal on it but cant keep it and get another gun. I have an mtac for it and its comfartable but need something a little easier for me to carry.
    Help ME out. and if you have something that may work for me and want a Kimber maybe we can work something out. My permit should be here any day now and I want to be ready to start carrying.
    Thanks
    Wade

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Are you asking for help in choosing a gun that will fit well on you? I'm sure many people will offer recommendations, but choosing a gun is a lot like finding a pair of shoes you like. You need to just go try a bunch on.

One thing, don't worry so much about printing. All summer long I've printed like a Xerox machine and no one has noticed/cared.

Also, I don't know what your financial situation is but find something you can afford to practice with on a routine basis. It does no good to carry a .45 if you can't afford to shoot it. For me, 9mm is affordable. Others may only be able to afford a .22. In that case, find a gun you can convert to .22 for practice. I'm planning to buy my girlfriend an Heckler & Koch HK4 that is convertible from .22 to .380. She likes the way it feels in her hand and carries on her hip (they have one at Cabela's she played with). With women being free at Precision and the cost of .22 being almost free she can shoot any time she wants all she wants.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    I defenitly have the means to shoot. I have amembership to Barneys and go pretty regularly and can shoot the Kimber better than any other handgun Ive owned. I havent had a bunch but have tried Glock 19,26, Ruger LCP(way to small and hard to shoot for me), P-64 easy to conceal but not reliable with jhp's and now this one. The P-64 size gun dissapears on me when just resting in the mtac.

I guess my question is can anyone suggest a EASY to conceal for me, reliable, 9mm or bigger caliber gun/holster combo thats easy to find.

I may just carry it and let it print a little but Im not as comfartable with the 1911 as with the Glock type gun and all these post from guys that know alot more than I ever will got me seriously thinking about carrying the 1911 when I already know Im not as comfartable with it.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    OK, my holster/gun recommendation: HK P7 with a Milt Sparks VMII holster. That's my setup and it fits my lifestyle well.

Top gun:
    VM-2_large.jpg

http://www.miltsparks.com/VM-2.htm

Of course it's just an old 8 shot 9mm and doesn't look very cool. Practically worthless for personal defense, I know.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    How is the reliability of the HK's, how is the size compared to the 3" 1911 and how hard are they to find. I looked into the Milt's already and will probably get one once Im 100% sure I have my "carry gun" picked out. I do like the MTAC though.
    Thanks

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    How is the reliability of the HK's, how is the size compared to the 3" 1911 and how hard are they to find. I looked into the Milt's already and will probably get one once Im 100% sure I have my "carry gun" picked out. I do like the MTAC though.
    Thanks

Easy to find. Jim's has several in stock. There always a few for sale on hkpro.com and Cult of the P7.

Reliability.. I put it through two extensive classes in the last year with zero failures.

The only two FTE's I had during casual practice at the range were before I learned how to clean the gas port properly (requires a special tool). It is a completely different operating system than other pistols and requires a little different cleaning procedure. The other failure I had was a broken drop safety catch spring. Replaced the spring myself, and was back in action.

Being honest, that's my reliability report. My carry P7 is a 25 year old gun and has had thousands and thousands of rounds through it in the last year including +P+.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    I have a 5.11 leather gun belt and wilderness instructer. I know they arent Milts but I figured they were OK for now until I settle on a gun,holster,belt combo. Starting with gun.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Thanks. Im gonna try wearing my setup and see if I get used to it. If I see a a P7 at the gun show and its the size Im looking for I may just sell mine or put it for trade.
    Thanks for the help.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I would be VERY careful about buying a P7 at a gun show if you aren't familiar with all the different models and values. They range in price from $500 - $3500 depending on model, where it was imported, date code, etc.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Time to make that walk around Academy!!! Heh-heh!

People always say, the nacho run @ Wal-mart...:dunno:

What are your dimensions Wade?

I stand about 5'10" & 190lbs. I think I posted some pics on here shown carrying my rig. No one can tell, unless you are REALLY looking for it, and you have to be looking pretty hard. It took my dad almost 6 months to realize I was carrying & the only reason he found out was because I was laying on the ground playing w/ my daughter (she was 6 months @ the time) and she pulled the bottom of my shirt up revealing it.

Anywho. I have a horsehide leather gunman belt on order right now. I ordered it a couple weeks ago, I was tired of bouncing from belt to belt and have read that this was the last belt that I will want to wear. We shall see.

I have plenty of holsters. I do not own a Milt-Sparks, but I own one that it very similar to it. Got it from TT Leather. I really enjoy wearing it. I have another one on order from him for my wifes S&W. He does very nice work.

Get a "gunbelt" & a "custom" holster. I do own a M-Tac, which was used until I got my leather holster, it did a very nice job...it has been replaced & will not be used for my G23 again.

The more comfortable you are wearing AND shooting you CCG, the better off you will be.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Im 5'9" 145 so not much room to hide anything under a tshirt. I think a leather holster would be more comfartable but I have to set the cant on my mtac as far as it will go just so the butt doesnt stick out when I bend even a little. Wit hthe cant all the way forward i have to bend almost half way before it prints bad. Basically even with the officers size grip the gun is still the same height as I am wide front to back LOL. I feel like a chick trying on a swimsuit and turning an spinning to see if to much hangs out.

LSU Ill try and do some research before I get one. Do you think its possible to find a good one for around 1k thats what I would probably ask for mine?

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    For $1,000 you can get a Grade A PSP model with three mags and a Milt Sparks holster. The only thing about those is the magazine release is on the heel of the gun. Contrary to popular belief, it's not any slower to change mags once you get used to it (I've timed myself countless times using both types of magazine releases).

If I were you and decided I could live with the heel release, I'd get a lower end B or C Grade PSP model for about $500 - $600 and use the hell out of it. Drop it, kick it, beat it up, break it. Then refinish it in hard chrome. That's exactly what I'm doing right now with my PSP model.

If you decide you must have the American magazine release then you need to look at the M8 models. You can find one for about $1,000 but you'll need to look hard and be patient and be ready to bite when it comes up. They can easily be found for about $1300. The older ones are generally worth more because recently they started adding stupid "Refer to Owners Manual" warnings on the trigger guard.

If you are around Baton Rouge sometime soon we can meet at the range and you can shoot mine. My PSP is out for refinishing but the M8 is ready to go. I have a Milt Sparks VMII for it you can try too.

Edit: Here is an M8 with VMII for sale right now:
    http://www.parkcitiestactical.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=41;t=000025

Last edited:

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Here is the pics. I think another belt may help. Im getting used to it already its just a heavy SOB and it pulls on my opposite side.

Are you carrying extra mags on your weak side? I find a couple of extra mags balances the weight out. I bet it's not printing nearly as bad you think. And who cares anyway, you're legal now. If someone sees it or thinks your carrying so what. I'm not suggesting you go flaunt it. But it's not the end of the world if someone sees the outline of a gun.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    After I looked at the pics it really isnt that bad. Actually it just looks like I have a cell phone holder or something. If I can get something to level out the other side and maybe a better belt I think it would be good. I just came in from mowing the front yard and i stopped noticing it after the first couple minutes. Ill sweat on it a little more and give it a chance and see how I feel about it after a week of carrying.
    Thanks Again for all the help if it doesnt work out Ill make a run to Baton rouge and take you up on your offer. I like the PSP and the mag release on the bottom.
    Thanks Again for all the help.

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    You are a slim dude. I could not see any printing in the picture. :rofl:

Ok..how about a pic with the gun on, wearing something that you would normally wear. :D

I am a very casual guy. Polo's, button-up & silk shirts(95% during summer) are usually what I am wearing. Unfortunately, being that I carry, all the time, I have become accustomed to wearing clothing that is a slight bit larger. That is the trade off. Meh...I can live with that. I am married w/ kids! ;)

Silk shirt untucked
    Silk shirt untucked revealed
    CCW & Holster

These are a couple pics of some various shots, sorry about the bathroom, has the best lighting on short notice. I really like to wear an undershirt & a button up or a silk shirt over. I am not really worried about the gun...I am sure it can take more abuse than some sweat.

I can't wait to see how the BS.COM forum shirt fits. I only have one polo that I can wear and not really print that much during the summer. Hope the shirt floats a little bit on me, if not...might have to carry my 442 in pocket!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom