Help with my 1911!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    I have a Taurus 1911 and I notice after I cleaned it after a day of shooting. Not when I have a Empty mag in the gun it will not lock back the slide. I tried 4 different mags and the same thing on all of them. Is there a part that I might have lost or maybe wore out? LMK pics please. i am kinda new to 1911's

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    I have a Taurus 1911 and I notice after I cleaned it after a day of shooting. Not when I have a Empty mag in the gun it will not lock back the slide. I tried 4 different mags and the same thing on all of them. Is there a part that I might have lost or maybe wore out? LMK pics please. i am kinda new to 1911's

Did you mean "Now"? Can you manually lock the slide back? What kind of mags are you using? Are the mags clean? Take the slide stop out and inspect it for breakage or something stuck in the groove in the top of it.

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    I know a lil about 1911's but I dont understand your question. Please clarify.

What happens when you have a full mag? No mag?
    When you cleaned it, were there any pieces left over?

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    btw, the slide lock on most pistols is pretty straight forward. There is a tab on the feed lips of the magazine that pushes up on the bottom of the slide stop. The slide stop then engages a notch in the slide. That's it.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    BJ, make sure your magazines are the way inserted. Otherwise the slide will not lock back. Make sure the magazines follower is completely depressed or that could also be a problem.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    I would think it could be from some fouling in the grove on the slide stop leaver or possibly a weak spring in you magazine. Does it do it with all your magazines?

LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    Yeah the mags are cleaned and it will lock back if i do it myself. But you know when you have a empty mag it locks back automatically? That what I am saying will not work any more. I also made sure the mags where locked in tightly.

LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    I would think it could be from some fouling in the grove on the slide stop leaver or possibly a weak spring in you magazine. Does it do it with all your magazines?

I will try some better mags when I get in. But my Taurus ones have never gave me a problem with over 1200 rounds though them.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Weak mag springs will cause this. Springs give no warning, they just quit. Take one of the mags apart, the spring should be 1.5 to 2 times as long as the mag.

LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    Ok I will check this out when I get in. Thanks alot guys. i will say that its prolly that i leave them loaded all the time so maybe the springs became weak.

LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    Sir:

Just sell it to me for $150.00 and I'll come by and take your concerns away lol:D

Nah thanks for the offer!

I will say i love this gun. i know i could have spent a fortune on a Nighthawk or a Kimber. But I ma very impressed with the Taurus. Maybe the springs wore out but that has to be the thing cause like I said i have shot well over 1500 rounds through it. lots of features that come stock with the Taurus 1911.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    You said 1200 lol. I will attest for him, his taurus has fired 300 rounds non stop without a single problem. Shooting remington 230gr fmj.

Top Bottom