Hero kills rape suspect, but since in NY, being charged with murder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    You are right. It's nobody's "fault" per se. What i'm saying is parents always want to blame the boy. When in reality, they would be more to blame for not teaching their daughter to make good decisions.

**I'm not advocating statutory rape. What i'm saying is that this guy in NY isn't some hero for killing a guy that in all likelyhood made a crappy mistake but is otherwise non-violent.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk..

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    There's plenty of details out there, it happened almost a year ago.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/10/1...-question-of-self-defense-or-vigilantism.html

Very odd story, seems like a bad shoot to me.

Yea...It looks like he may have just executed the alleged STATUTORY RAPIST.

Nelson Acosta-Sanchez had proved surprisingly difficult to catch. Mr. Acosta-Sanchez, who was accused of the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl, had already eluded capture, slipping out of the police’s grasp and later swimming across a reservoir before disappearing.

On Oct. 11, he turned up near the home of David Carlson, who lived with his family on Old Plank Road in Sparrowbush. Mr. Carlson knew that Mr. Acosta-Sanchez, who had recently been staying in a nearby cabin, was a wanted man. Mr. Carlson, who had already tried taking him to the police, ended up firing his shotgun four times, hitting Mr. Acosta-Sanchez twice, killing him.

The authorities suggest the shooting death was a case of vigilante justice, but his relatives and neighbors in the northwest corner of Orange County say Mr. Carlson was a hero who tried to corral a fugitive to bring him to the police and ended up needing to defend himself.

Mr. Carlson, 42, a slender carpenter and father of three with sandy hair and sharp blue eyes, was released on Friday on $100,000 bond after being indicted by an Orange County grand jury. The state police, in arresting Mr. Carlson after the shooting, had initially held him on a charge of second-degree murder, but the charge under which he will be prosecuted will not be disclosed until a formal indictment is issued next week, the district attorney said on Friday.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Yea...It looks like he may have just executed the alleged STATUTORY RAPIST.

Nelson Acosta-Sanchez had proved surprisingly difficult to catch. Mr. Acosta-Sanchez, who was accused of the statutory rape of a 14-year-old girl, had already eluded capture, slipping out of the police’s grasp and later swimming across a reservoir before disappearing.

On Oct. 11, he turned up near the home of David Carlson, who lived with his family on Old Plank Road in Sparrowbush. Mr. Carlson knew that Mr. Acosta-Sanchez, who had recently been staying in a nearby cabin, was a wanted man. Mr. Carlson, who had already tried taking him to the police, ended up firing his shotgun four times, hitting Mr. Acosta-Sanchez twice, killing him.

The authorities suggest the shooting death was a case of vigilante justice, but his relatives and neighbors in the northwest corner of Orange County say Mr. Carlson was a hero who tried to corral a fugitive to bring him to the police and ended up needing to defend himself.

Mr. Carlson, 42, a slender carpenter and father of three with sandy hair and sharp blue eyes, was released on Friday on $100,000 bond after being indicted by an Orange County grand jury. The state police, in arresting Mr. Carlson after the shooting, had initially held him on a charge of second-degree murder, but the charge under which he will be prosecuted will not be disclosed until a formal indictment is issued next week, the district attorney said on Friday.

so at absolute best, its zimmerman 2.0

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    so at absolute best, its zimmerman 2.0

That's my take. I was never in the belief that Zimmerman was justified. This guy doesn't appear any more justified. So yea...Zimmerman 2.0

If only everyone with a firearm realized that whenever they pull a trigger and kill someone....The powers to be will be scrutinizing the action of taking another persons life. That is what happens when a cop shoots someone. Why should it be any different when a armed citizen does so?

It should never be taken lightly IMO. And yea...wanna be cops are some of the most dangerous IMO. That is what Zimmerman seemed to be to me.

Furthermore...Zimmerman's behavior since the shooting surely does not demonstrate a well adjusted human who was defending himself.

As far as this guy Carpenter...It looks like he may have just executed this ALLEGED rapist.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    sprinkled some wabbit on there for ya.

no charge.

Thanks, you are quite correct! His actions would have been justified about 130 years ago though. After bringing his body to the Sheriff for the reward, he could then treat himself to a bath W/fresh bath water(more expensive than used bath water) and a prostitute.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I am sure that in NY, his best move would have been to give chase until able to report direction of flight. It was very poor judgement to go looking for the fugitive alone and without the proper equipment and training/education.

No, his best bet would've been limiting his involvement to a phone call and observation. Chasing someone down the street with a shotgun is a terrible idea.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I did not say that using a shotgun was a good idea. To clarity my remarks, if he was looking for the fugitive, then he should have observed and reported.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I did not say that using a shotgun was a good idea. To clarity my remarks, if he was looking for the fugitive, then he should have observed and reported.

Chasing after a known criminal on the run from police unarmed may be a worse idea than doing it armed.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If your daughter gave it out consensually it isn't the boys fault. Its the parents fault for not teaching her the proper values before it getting to that point. Its always someone elses fault.

That is very true. But there are reasons why we have statutory rape laws. We are still talking about a 35 year old man and a 14 year old girl. In my mind that qualifies him as a pedophile. What if he were a teacher or another trusted figure like clergy?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    That is very true. But there are reasons why we have statutory rape laws. We are still talking about a 35 year old man and a 14 year old girl. In my mind that qualifies him as a pedophile. What if he were a teacher or another trusted figure like clergy?

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying a person isn't a hero or justified in killing him.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It takes very little courage to observe and report. Even the most anti-gun Chief LEO's want that. The point is that the fugitive could have been observed from a safe distance and location reported. Instead, the fool confronted him with only a shotgun and no means of communication. He did not have the tools, training, or education needed to make a proper citizen's arrest/detention.
    The use of a shotgun to apprehend an unarmed suspect allows for few options. The escalation of force was limited to mouth, hands, and weapon with no means of restraint(hand cuffs.)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Well then, being a coward is also a viable and legal option!

It has nothing to do with cowardice and everything to do with reason. I'd rather be alive and free than dead or in jail. Hoping this guy doesn't have a weapon, or that you don't end up chasing him into a corner is stupid. I'm amazed that you are giving such poor advice, but then again internet bravado is a viable and legal option... Unless you follow through with it, then it is a good way to end up in handcuffs or worse.

Observing and making a phone call, good ideas. Giving chase, bad idea.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom