Hero kills rape suspect, but since in NY, being charged with murder

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    It has nothing to do with cowardice and everything to do with reason. I'd rather be alive and free than dead or in jail. Hoping this guy doesn't have a weapon, or that you don't end up chasing him into a corner is stupid. I'm amazed that you are giving such poor advice, but then again internet bravado is a viable and legal option... Unless you follow through with it, then it is a good way to end up in handcuffs or worse.

Observing and making a phone call, good ideas. Giving chase, bad idea.

I was not giving any advice. I was simply breaking it down. What I failed to clarify is that there is a way to give chase from a safe distance so that you can report the direction of flight.

Yes, I consider ignoring a crime to be cowardice. "Internet bravado?" Deployments as a Marine and reprimands while working regular LE were more than enough real life "bravado."

Last edited:

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was not giving any advice. I was simply breaking it down. What I failed to clarify is that there is a way to give chase from a safe distance so that you can report the direction of flight.

Yes, I consider ignoring a crime to be cowardice. "Internet bravado?" Deployments as a Marine and reprimands while working regular LE were more than enough real life "bravado."

Who said anything about ignoring a crime? During those deployments did you often give chase to people while unarmed?

Here is reality. Civilians shouldn't be giving chase to anyone, without a very good reason. Statutory rape charge =/= good reason. George Zimmerman comes to mind. IF someone wants to start giving chase to criminals, they should join a reserve officer program. Training and the backing of a department are pretty damn important if you wan to start interjecting yourself into these situations.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Who said anything about ignoring a crime? During those deployments did you often give chase to people while unarmed?

Or execute them while unarmed simply because one feels that they ARE the the Judge, Jury and Executioner. Kind of the same attitude that the Taliban has.

This is what sets America apart from other non-democratic nations. We are supposed to be a nation of laws. And...If one does not agree with a law...then there is a process to change said laws.

IMO...the shotgun wielding "hero" broke the law and should be punished.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So I'm assuming his defense team has already persuaded Joe Biden to testify on his behalf?

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA

Here is reality. Civilians shouldn't be giving chase to anyone, without a very good reason. Statutory rape charge =/= good reason. George Zimmerman comes to mind. IF someone wants to start giving chase to criminals, they should join a reserve officer program. Training and the backing of a department are pretty damn important if you wan to start interjecting yourself into these situations.

Yes, civilians who want to actively fight crime should become reserve officers. That way, they can get the training and the opportunity to work towards justice within the law.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Or execute them while unarmed simply because one feels that they ARE the the Judge, Jury and Executioner. Kind of the same attitude that the Taliban has.

This is what sets America apart from other non-democratic nations. We are supposed to be a nation of laws. And...If one does not agree with a law...then there is a process to change said laws.

Yes, he used excessive force that resulted in the death of a fugitive. His life was not in danger. It was the result of bad judgement. Which is the case in many crimes.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    Doubtful. I think Biden would insist that warning shots from shotgun have to be fired in the air, not center mass. :D

He did fire two warning shots. One in front of two different houses in an effort to get the attention of someone to call the cops. So he did follow the advice of our VP.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

I don't see Mr. Carlson's actions as trying to be judge, jury, and executioner. He had caught the suspect the first time when he eluded the police and turned him over. The man escaped police custody and was caught again. And again he was turning the suspect in. Only this time he had no phone so he brought the suspect with him to neighbors to contact the police. According to Mr. Carlson the suspect went berzerk at which time he was a threat to an armed Mr. Carlson. By the suspects previous actions to elude/escape from the police I believe Mr. Carlson's story. Being it is the only one and there are no reported contradictions to it what he did was self defense. IMHO

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'm going to side with Mr. Carlson being wrong. The alleged rapist didn't deserve to die.... just to be castrated without benefit of anesthesia. He took advantage of a teenager. That's statutory rape. But Mr Carlson stepped over the line.

Normally I'm not a fan of the statutory rape laws- 18 yr old w/ a 16yr old are still 2 teenagers. 35 and 14? That's wrong.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom