hiking/backpacking 20+miles. glock vs ar pistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Some friends and I are making a few trips this summer to do some hiking and photography in various locations throughout the rockies; Cloudcroft, NM, Durango, CO, and we are contemplating a stop in Montana as well, probably Polebridge.

I'm debating which firearm to include in my pack, and room and weight are getting scarce. Unfortunately the guys im going with aren't much help. They are experienced hikers and climbers but firearms just aren't their thing.

Anyhow, my choices:

9mm:
    G19 w/ a few G17 mags in the pack.
    Sub2k

.223/5.56:
    Exp-556 (pistol)
    SU-16 (folding rifle)

I'd really appreciate the advice of any hikers/climbers here that carry in a pack. I won't lie, I'm half hoping that this trip will give me a reason to use my exp for something other than a range toy lol, but that doesn't mean its the practical option.

Anyone have suggestions/input based on my current options?

edit: minor climbing as well- no comfy trail walk here, so + that to consideration.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I am not physically able to hike/climb but if I could I would take Bear spray and a Glock 20 loaded with heavy hard cast ammunition.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    G19 with just one mag, or maybe one extra mag. A serious backpacker will cut off the handle of a spoon to save a few grams.

Not to sound like a weenie, but it would make me nervous knowing you're bringing a gun hoping to use it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    G19 with just one mag, or maybe one extra mag. A serious backpacker will cut off the handle of a spoon to save a few grams.

Not to sound like a weenie, but it would make me nervous knowing you're bringing a gun hoping to use it.

I never "hope" to use my guns. my statement was aimed at "hoping to give it a purpose other than..." not "hoping to use"

and I consider myself "in shape", but weight is going to be a factor here... hence the debate. Buddies have done these trips before, and cautioned me against packing too much crap.

and yeah, was debating a G20 before an extended stay with grandparents in alaska later this year, so I may just pick that thing up early. Hadn't even considered that.

Last edited:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Okay good I misread your post.

As fun as it would be to show off, carry your exp, it'll get old real quick especially when climbing. Just size-wise it would get to be irritating, let alone the weight.

I would prob just bring bear spray like JBP said and a Glock with one full mag inside.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Okay good I misread your post.

As fun as it would be to show off, carry your exp, it'll get old real quick especially when climbing. Just size-wise it would get to be irritating, let alone the weight.

I would prob just bring bear spray like JBP said and a Glock with one full mag inside.

My friends swear "bear spray is all they are bringing... it works on 4 legged and 2 legged creatures just fine" I say they are F nuts. and yeah, JBP pretty much solved this at a glance I think.

Last edited:

CLC

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2013
    I'd definitely get a G20 with one of the stout loads offered from buffalo bore.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    9mm & are more suited for man sized targets, than large four legged predators. You need penetration for big cats & bears
    I would go for 44mag, 41mag, or 10mm (200gr & larger) and definitely bear spray

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I've got bear spray already, and I'll be snatching the G20 since it was already on my short term purchase list.

is there anything a glock can't do? :)

neat tip for anyone that cares: my buddy told me that they attach bells by C clips to their packs- the jingling and noise making scares off most animals you'd consider a gun for anyway. also, in the same email he told me the only "ugly" situations they've been in were human related, and the most dangerous wildlife they've directly encountered were yotes and foxes. (He's got pictures of bison, bears, elk, cougars, and bobcats... but taken from distance)

Im really looking forward to the trip

Last edited:

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    glock 20 , no extra mags, at about the 10 mile mark you will be trying to sell it to your friends for 5 bucks...lol my favorite bear joke ;

The Park Ranger at Denali park is advising hikers to be alert for bears and to take extra precautions to avoid an encounter. Park visitors are advised to wear little bells on their clothes to make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows the bears to hear the hiker coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidently sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge. Hikers should also carry pepper spray in case they encounter a bear. Spraying the pepper in the air will irritate a bear's sensitive nose and it will run away. It also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you'll know if there are bears in the area. People should be able to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly/brown bear scat. Black bear scat is smaller and will be fibrous, with berry seeds and sometimes grass in it. Grizzly/brown bear scat will have bells in it and smell like pepper......

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    glock 20 , no extra mags, at about the 10 mile mark you will be trying to sell it to your friends for 5 bucks...lol my favorite bear joke ;

The Park Ranger at Denali park is advising hikers to be alert for bears and to take extra precautions to avoid an encounter. Park visitors are advised to wear little bells on their clothes to make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows the bears to hear the hiker coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidently sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge. Hikers should also carry pepper spray in case they encounter a bear. Spraying the pepper in the air will irritate a bear's sensitive nose and it will run away. It also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you'll know if there are bears in the area. People should be able to tell the difference between black bear scat and grizzly/brown bear scat. Black bear scat is smaller and will be fibrous, with berry seeds and sometimes grass in it. Grizzly/brown bear scat will have bells in it and smell like pepper......

haha thats hilarious. my buddies are strongly pushing me to ditch the ammo. my opinion is if I can't hack 4-5 extra pounds, I shouldn't be going. I'll drop 5lbs before the trip anyway, via racing austin and JR every morning.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    On a long hike in altitude you're not used to every pound counts. And I mean every pound. 5lbs is significant if it can be done without it.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    On a long hike in altitude you're not used to every pound counts. And I mean every pound. 5lbs is significant if it can be done without it.

yeah they measure everything in ounces and grams, I guess it all adds up. Either way, I'm bringing it. I don't go to Winn Dixie without my gun, I'm dang sure not going across the country into the woods.

You ever seen deliverance?

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    I carry a Glock 29 and two mags (the spare a G20 mag) in a Safepacker attached to my backpack waist belt/waist pack belt whenever I head off into the boonies in Colorado Rockies, Utah, etc.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    haha thats hilarious. my buddies are strongly pushing me to ditch the ammo. my opinion is if I can't hack 4-5 extra pounds, I shouldn't be going. I'll drop 5lbs before the trip anyway, via racing austin and JR every morning.

Oh are we actually doing this? I will make it fair for y'all and only run at 6:15 at night in the heat! As for guns and hiking / being out in the woods. I have a little experience with both and I say that an extra magazine is definitely worth it weight wise. I know many hardcore hikers really care about cutting down on the ounces, but I still say I would rather have two full mags of ammo readily available when faced with the potential of having to shoot something big and ugly...like a bear! If two mags isn't enough, well you are probably screwed anyway! :P

HAMP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Bogalusa
    Remember if a bear gets after you and the spray or gun doesn't work,you dont need to outrun the bear,just your friends.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    They've done these trips before, I haven't- but suffice to say that my measurable cardio and overall fitness level is superior to theirs, but I'll acknowledge aforementioned point regarding altitude and distance. I'm bringing the extra mag and the gun. Will post pics of my "outdoors Glock" asap.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Nope. Even the glock is too heavy. How about a keltec PF9? It'll handle most animal problems except for bear, which is a rare encounter (insert joke about kneecapping the most annoying hiker...). Packs of feral dogs have always been my biggest concern though.
    My biggest concern while hiking has been of the 2 legged variety. The keltec will work on those also.
    Some backpackers will even cut the handles off their toothbrushes to save a few tenths of ounces!

What does your load weigh now? where else can you cut some to reduce the weight? Are your hiking buddies going to take some of the weight for you of the group gear to make up for the pistol?

Top Bottom