Hog's in La. story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    No special permit needed, only written permission of the land owner taken with a "Standard .22" only or shotgun with shot smaller than buckshot and during the months of March until the end of August if I remember correctly. Private land only too.

EDIT:
    (2) On private property, the landowner, or his lessee or agent with written permission and the landowner's contact information in his possession, may take outlaw quadrupeds, nutria, or beaver during nighttime hours from one-half hour after official sunset on the last day of February to one-half hour after official sunset the last day of August of that same year. The method of such taking shall be limited to a shotgun not larger than a No. 10 gauge fired with buckshot or smaller or a standard .22 caliber rimfire firearm and may be with or without the aid of artificial light, infrared or laser sighting devices, or night vision devices.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    No special permit needed, only written permission of the land owner taken with a "Standard .22" only or shotgun with shot smaller than buckshot and during the months of March until the end of August if I remember correctly. Private land only too.

+1 That's all I remember about it.

You know sometimes the print stuff that not quite right. :)

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=720408

ACT 254

(2) On private property, the landowner, or his lessee or agent with written permission and the landowner's contact information in his possession, may take outlaw quadrupeds, nutria, or beaver during nighttime hours fromone-half hour after official sunset on the last day of February to one-half hour after official sunset the last day of August of that same year. The method of such taking shall be limited to a shotgun not larger than a No. 10 gauge fired with buckshot or smaller or a standard .22 caliber rimfire firearm and may be with or without the aid of artificial light, infrared or laser sighting devices, or night vision devices.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    why only .22? they dont want you tempted to shoot a deer?

That's the only "logical" (:rofl:) reason I can think of.

And as we all know, throughout history, no deer have ever been killed with a "standard .22".

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wait a second... I always just read the "rimfire" part. What do they mean by "standard"?
    Is a .22 WMR illegal? How about a .17 HMR?

I suppose that the definition of a "standard rimfire" is open to interpretation by the enforcement arm of the law as well as the judicial arm of the law.
    Exactly what it means should be pointed out in the hunting pamphlet but, unfortunately, it is not.
    I suppose it will be interpreted according to each situation. Variables such as location, region office of enforcement, interpretation of each District Attorney and each judge will mean some will be ticketed and some will not and some will be convicted and some will not.
    I wonder if it would be too much to ask for the enforcement division of LDWF to put out a news release stating what their policy will be on the definition.
    I mean, I can call and ask but, that doesn't help the other people who do not know. Then I will know but I might be the only one and I can inform as many people as I know but I doubt that I know everyone that is planning to participate in this activity.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I wonder if a memorandum written on letterhead from Bayoushooters.com would convince LDWF to issue a news release stating what the policy will be concerning defining a "standard rimfire".
    After all, this seems to be a very large group of shooters. Maybe the membership numbers could be stated in the letter.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    why only .22? they dont want you tempted to shoot a deer?

So you can shoot em, just with projectiles that are way less than desirable for that species. Nice.

I honestly dont think they want you to harvest them. They are after their eradication and would be happy if you only got 1 out of every 10-20 you shot, so you keep shooting them. Great responsible hunting right there I tell ya.

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I honestly dont think they want you to harvest them. They are after their eradication and would be happy if you only got 1 out of every 10-20 you shot, so you keep shooting them. Great responsible hunting right there I tell ya.

Looks like a mixed message to me. News blitz about the pig population problem and then a law to take care of it that, excuse the pun, misses the mark by a long shot.
    I have to believe that LDWF enforcement lobbied to put the .22 language in the law.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I emailed the Advocate reporter that wrote the story in the paper wanting to know where they got that bad info about a permit. Below is the response.

Sir,
    You are absolutely correct. I was looking at an outdated press release. A correction will be printed tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,
    Faimon

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I emailed the Advocate reporter that wrote the story in the paper wanting to know where they got that bad info about a permit. Below is the response.

Sir,
    You are absolutely correct. I was looking at an outdated press release. A correction will be printed tomorrow. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,
    Faimon

Good idea Charlie. I never thought about contacting the reporter. Now if someone in an official capacity would define a "standard .22 rimfire".

Top Bottom