Hog's in La. story

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I looked on the LDWF facebook and one LDWF person said .22 rimfire including .22 magnum rifles or pistols.

His name was Wendall Smith. I looked him up and he is an LDWF biologist in Lake Charles.

That will be really good news if he's correct. I understand their concerns (sort of:rolleyes:)- but if I'm going to hunt hogs at night, I'd really like to use something with a little more muscle than fine shot or .22 LR....Trailing a wounded hog after dark is no fun. Trust me.:(

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    That will be really good news if he's correct. I understand their concerns (sort of:rolleyes:)- but if I'm going to hunt hogs at night, I'd really like to use something with a little more muscle than fine shot or .22 LR....Trailing a wounded hog after dark is no fun. Trust me.:(

I'd be more concerned about running from pissed off hogs than trailing wounded ones. :p

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd be more concerned about running from pissed off hogs than trailing wounded ones. :p

If it's a big one that's wounded, he's the one to worry about....;)

Seeing as the LDWF is allowing this mostly for their benefit, I wish they'd at the very least allow the use of a .223....Imagine all the fun someone could have with their tricked-out AR!

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/streamdocument.asp?did=720408

ACT 254

(2) On private property, the landowner, or his lessee or agent with written permission and the landowner's contact information in his possession, may take outlaw quadrupeds, nutria, or beaver during nighttime hours fromone-half hour after official sunset on the last day of February to one-half hour after official sunset the last day of August of that same year. The method of such taking shall be limited to a shotgun not larger than a No. 10 gauge fired with buckshot or smaller or a standard .22 caliber rimfire firearm and may be with or without the aid of artificial light, infrared or laser sighting devices, or night vision devices.

Word on the street is that they hunt hogs with night vision and silencers in GA. ;)

Night vision but not silencers here in Louisiana.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I looked on the LDWF facebook and one LDWF person said .22 rimfire including .22 magnum rifles or pistols.

His name was Wendall Smith. I looked him up and he is an LDWF biologist in Lake Charles.

So if a "standard 22 rimfire" includes 22LR and 22Mag, then just what is a "non-standard 22 rimfire"?

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I've seen plenty of hogs go down immediately with a WELL PLACED 22 WMR shot. Unfortunately for larger hogs that usually requires a shot in the ear or eye. It's hard enough in daylight hours though. Smaller hogs will go down with a good heart/lung shot from a WMR. The problem is that most folks place the shot directly behind the shoulder like on a deer. A hog has a shorter, rounder torso and the heart and lungs are further up, requiring a shot directly into the shoulder.

I've taken hogs with birdshot as well. However, my "birdshot" setup includes 3.5" lead #4 turkey rounds and an ex-full turkey choke. I have never wounded a hog that way. The one questionable shot I took with that rig was a 200lb sow that was running full speed @ 35 yards. She gave me a broadside shot, I put the bead in front of her snout and fired. The center of the pattern hit the heart/lung area and she went down immediately.

Hogs can be taken humanely and safely with the limited choices but you have to pick your shots carefully.

mrmojo32

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    So from reading the law regarding the hunting of hogs at night you must have the written premission of the land owner. So Iwould guess all hunting clubs would have to contact their actual land owner and get a signed paper that would then have to be given to all it's menmber. Has anyone looked into that?

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I still think the weapons restrictions are silly. Are they serious about thinning them down, or not?? :confused:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBO4La3w2Uo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBO4La3w2Uo[/ame]

Dirty J

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    New Iberia
    I still think the weapons restrictions are silly. Are they serious about thinning them down, or not?? :confused:

I can kind of half a$$ see where they are coming from with caliber restrictions.
    Just a scenario, we hunt a section of woods that we go through a trailer park to access a headland and then go another 75 yards to the woodline. I can see where i wouldn't want every tom, dick, and harry shooting at hogs at ground level with a 30-06 or 7mag at night not sure of what direction they are shooting, especially at night. I wouldn't want to be in a trailer when that was going on.

I just wish they would let me use my 300 AAC Blackout and LG ND3 with a can. That would be fun!!!

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can kind of half a$$ see where they are coming from with caliber restrictions.
    Just a scenario, we hunt a section of woods that we go through a trailer park to access a headland and then go another 75 yards to the woodline. I can see where i wouldn't want every tom, dick, and harry shooting at hogs at ground level with a 30-06 or 7mag at night not sure of what direction they are shooting, especially at night. I wouldn't want to be in a trailer when that was going on.

I just wish they would let me use my 300 AAC Blackout and LG ND3 with a can. That would be fun!!!

That's not the real reason. The real reason is the silly notion that everyone will be slaughtering deer at night will all those dreaded "deer rifles". That's why they're not allowing you to use buckshot, either.....

In my opinion, that's a silly reason. But as always- just my opinion.

And for the record- we once had an enforcement agent at a deer seminar- while answering general questions- tell us that he would write a citation to anyone he caught COON HUNTING at night with a .22 Magnum, because "that's a deer-killing son-of-a-gun". Another time, a different agent said it was legal to use a .22 WMR while coon hunting. (:confused::confused:)

And so, here lies the problem: Not enough people are on the same page. Sometimes the initial response will depend totally on who you encounter....:doh:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    And so, here lies the problem: Not enough people are on the same page. Sometimes the initial response will depend totally on who you encounter....:doh:

Well, that's true for everything. I asked a couple of very friendly and helpful Wildlife Enforcement Agents if I could use a dirt bike on WMA ATV trails to get to a hunting spot. Because that's what I have. One said no, one said yes, they broke out the rule book, studied it, made a couple of phone calls, and came to the conclusion that yes, I can. As long as the bike is not street legal. If it is, I have to take the license plate off first, then I'm good to go.

The moral of the story is, the rules often make no sense, you just have to hope you're dealing with an officer who's having a good day and is willing to figure things out he doesn't know, rather than go with his gut feeling.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Well, that's true for everything. I asked a couple of very friendly and helpful Wildlife Enforcement Agents if I could use a dirt bike on WMA ATV trails to get to a hunting spot. Because that's what I have. One said no, one said yes, they broke out the rule book, studied it, made a couple of phone calls, and came to the conclusion that yes, I can. As long as the bike is not street legal. If it is, I have to take the license plate off first, then I'm good to go.

The moral of the story is, the rules often make no sense, you just have to hope you're dealing with an officer who's having a good day and is willing to figure things out he doesn't know, rather than go with his gut feeling.

True. The Dept gives itself a free pass to ambiguity by telling us up front that the hunting pamphlet is not "an official copy of the laws in effect and should not be utilized or relied upon as such...."

WTF does that even mean???? :mad::mad:

I seriously doubt we'd get very far requesting for a Dept-employed "guide" to join us on a hunt to ensure we stay within the law. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Top Bottom