Home/Land owners.. I need advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So I currently live in Gonzales on 1 acre of land (renting). By the end of the year, me and my wife are looking to buy our own house and land. We would like to get 1.5-2 acres and put a modular home on it. We both just recently went through and paid off literally everything on our credit reports and got our credit scores in the 700's.... who can we contact or where can I look to see land for sale? I've tried searching on google but all I can find is a damn clayton homes website, and even they only show houses/trailers. They don't show how much land they are sitting on. the hard part is the fact that we want to buy where there are as few neighbors as possible. we like the idea of seclusion and privacy. maybe even some of the land we buy wooded...

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    really don't want to get a realtor involved just yet. just want to window shop at the moment and see whats available and where.

No, you do want to get a realtor involved. You don't pay anything until you buy and they make a commission.

That's their job.

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington
    Most realtors won't show you properties in person without a letter of preapproval from a lender. There is a lot of real estate websites that you can use to find land for sale and window shop.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Contact Darren James at EXP Realty who is a former LEO and a true professional.
    225-335-7666 or 225-304-6363.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    really don't want to get a realtor involved just yet. just want to window shop at the moment and see whats available and where.

A realtor is absolutely not needed to buy land. Or a house for that matter.

There are several online ways to search your area as someone already mentioned. Fsbo is another one.

https://fsbo.com/listings/search/

The other obvious way is to drive around to the areas you’re interested in and look for signs or ask neighbors of the properties.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    A realtor is absolutely not needed to buy land. Or a house for that matter.

There are several online ways to search your area as someone already mentioned. Fsbo is another one.

https://fsbo.com/listings/search/

The other obvious way is to drive around to the areas you’re interested in and look for signs or ask neighbors of the properties.

+2,What he said.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    FSBO aside, most properties for sale will be listed on https://realtor.com. It shouldn't be the only place that you look, but it's a good start. Explore the search facilities on that site carefully; there's a lot that isn't immediately obvious.

FSBO is another great option, and if you're willing to do some of the legwork it can save you a lot of money. At a minimum, though, make sure you have a good attorney guiding you through the actual purchase process. When you buy a piece of land you buy all of the encumbrances that come with it, so you want to make sure you know exactly what you're getting (and if there are encumbrances, that they can be resolved before you buy).

If you're going to go the route of working with an agent, then it's certainly not too soon to start talking to one (and no, I've never had to show a letter of pre-approval to start the conversation). You should, however, be prepared to talk to several different agents, and the one you select should be knowledgeable about the type of property you're looking to buy, and the area in which you're looking to purchase. A real estate agent that specializes in historic homes in downtown Baton Rouge isn't going to be much help for your rural property purchase.

Lastly: you'll want to talk to someone with expertise in the legalities of erecting a modular home in the area you're looking at. This should be a fairly straightforward conversation, but it will help you make the right decision about the piece of land you purchase (and where you orient the home on the property). Again, this is a place where a knowledgeable real estate agent could be a real asset to you.

However you approach it, good luck with this adventure! Sounds like you and your wife have a great plan and I hope it works out.

Mike

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    So I currently live in Gonzales on 1 acre of land (renting). By the end of the year, me and my wife are looking to buy our own house and land. We would like to get 1.5-2 acres and put a modular home on it. We both just recently went through and paid off literally everything on our credit reports and got our credit scores in the 700's.... who can we contact or where can I look to see land for sale? I've tried searching on google but all I can find is a damn clayton homes website, and even they only show houses/trailers. They don't show how much land they are sitting on. the hard part is the fact that we want to buy where there are as few neighbors as possible. we like the idea of seclusion and privacy. maybe even some of the land we buy wooded...

Realtor.com or any other site based off of MLS listings. They’ll have all sorts of ads for vacant land.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    Go on youtube and look at what some people are living in off grid. That may give you some ideas if you want seclusion. I'd do it in a heartbeat but my wife ain't leaving the grandkids.

DangerClose3/5

Rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    Covington

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    alot of info here. Thanks guys... Looking into all the links, and will be contacting a couple real estate agents ( likely the 2 mentioned in previous posts) very soon.

Darren James with 20 years experience is listed in the Top 1,000 Realtors in the United States as #66.

brooksmd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2013
    Bush, LA
    If you can swing it, 3 - 4 acres will get you an ag tax break. Plant some blueberry bushes, fruit trees and a couple chickens.

Top Bottom