Home Stretch. Contact Your Senators

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    With just a few weeks left in the 2014 legislative session, three important pro-Second Amendment and pro-sportsman bills are still awaiting consideration by the full Senate. As previously reported, it is critical that you contact your State Senator TODAY and urge him or her to support the following bills without amendments:

House Bill 72, sponsored by state Representative Joe Lopinto (R-Metairie) and state Senator Bob Kostelka (R-Monroe), would clarify that concealed handgun permit holders may possess firearms in restaurants that serve alcohol. Forty-nine states allow some form of carrying of firearms for personal protection in restaurants and this bill would codify a right that exists under the carry law but is currently in conflict with a separate criminal statute.

House Bill 1066, sponsored by state Representative Jeff Thompson (R-Bossier City) and state Senator Neil Riser (R-Columbia), makes technical changes to the state concealed carry law which could qualify Louisiana permit holders for an exemption from the NICS check when purchasing a firearm from a federal firearm licensed dealer. Permit holders in 21 other states -- including the neighboring states of Arkansas, Mississippi and Texas -- currently enjoy this exemption.

House Bill 186, sponsored by state Representative Cameron Henry (R-Metairie) and state Senator Rick Ward (R-Port Allen), would allow for the use of lawfully-owned suppressors while hunting game. It's time for Louisiana to join the majority of other states which allow for the taking of game with these devices that help prevent hearing loss and mitigate noise complaints.

Please contact your State Senator TODAY and respectfully urge him or her to SUPPORT HB 72, HB 1066 and HB 186. You can reach your state Senator by calling (225) 342-2040 during the week or by clicking here to send an e-mail. To identify your state Senator, visit here.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    My Senator from New Orleans will vote against all of these, but I will still call his office.
    I guess these three bills are better than nothing. They at least owe us that much since they have not passed any other pro-gun legislation.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    My Senator from New Orleans will vote against all of these, but I will still call his office.
    I guess these three bills are better than nothing. They at least owe us that much since they have not passed any other pro-gun legislation.

Wow! These bills are 3/4 of the LSA legislative agenda for 2014. If they are signed by the governor, the restaurant issue will be fixed, you likely will be able to buy a gun from an FFL without a background check if you have a CHP, and you will be able to hunt all game with a suppressor. The only bill that didn't make it is the CLEO sign-off bill which not only had LE opposition but was authored by a representative who doesn't have a good relationship with an important committee. On top of this, all major anti-gun bills were either killed or amended to lessen or eliminate adverse impact on gun owners. Depending what happens with HB 72, 186 and 1066, this will likely be a very successful legislative session for the good guys.

Before creating a legislative agenda, analysis is done to determine what is necessary and what is possible. LSA has a pretty good track record of making this determination and getting legislation from conception to the governor's desk. I have already been thinking about what we want to accomplish next year. As a matter of fact, if anyone wants to start a thread and make a sticky with a wish list, I will consider everyone's ideas.

Dan

Nathan Hale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2014
    Louisiana
    Just emailed my senator in support of HBs 72, 186 and 1066, without amendment!
    Will send postcard next, and call first thing Monday morning.

(Will repeat as necessary.)

PLEASE DO THE SAME, AND, SPREAD THE WORD AROUND! Get others to do the same. We have worked too hard this session to fumble the ball at the 10 yard line.

Top Bottom