"House panel advances bill requiring 25-foot distance from police officers"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I wonder if anyone here is opposed to this.

"On Tuesday, May 28, Governor Jeff Landry made it illegal for anyone at a crime scene, who is not involved, to be within 25 feet of an officer who is lawfully conducting their duties."

"A House committee moved forward with a bill Tuesday that would criminalize coming within 25 feet of an on-duty police officer if ordered to stop by the officer."

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    It's to keep people far enough away so they are not interfering with the police doing their job while allowing them to be close enough to observe and video the officers doing their job.
    I agree that some of these auditors are screaming insults just to get clicks and maybe a lawsuit and creating a unsafe situation for everyone involved in the investigation. so i would think there would be a way of criminilizing these actions. But 25ft law? We know what will happen, the officer will take 2 steps towards the auiditors and arrest them for breaking the 25ft law.
    These auditors are needed and if they refuse to police their own then the .gov should step in.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Totally against this. All an officer has to do is walk in an onlookers direction and they are creating a moving buffer that prevents the public from seeing public activity. This will be blatantly abused like every other privilege law enforcement enjoys.

It'll pass, this is Louisiana.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I agree that some of these auditors are screaming insults just to get clicks and maybe a lawsuit and creating a unsafe situation for everyone involved in the investigation. so i would think there would be a way of criminilizing these actions. But 25ft law? We know what will happen, the officer will take 2 steps towards the auiditors and arrest them for breaking the 25ft law.
    These auditors are needed and if they refuse to police their own then the .gov should step in.
    "We know what will happen"....Specifically how do you know that if the law isnt even passed yet ? Your preconceived anti Law Enforcement bias at work. And who is "We?"

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

So you think a better solution would be for the government to target what a person can say and how they can say it? And the law is meant for everyone, not just people who review financial information to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulations.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    So you think a better solution would be for the government to target what a person can say and how they can say it? And the law is meant for everyone, not just people who review financial information to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulations.
    They already do, they are called "fighting words"
    • US•LAW
      insulting or provocative words, especially of an ethnic, racial, or sexist nature, considered unacceptable or unlawful by certain institutions and afforded less protection than free speech.
      "among the limitations are that the fighting words must be clearly directed at the person who hears them"
    What is your solution to the problem?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    • US•LAW
      insulting or provocative words, especially of an ethnic, racial, or sexist nature, considered unacceptable or unlawful by certain institutions and afforded less protection than free speech.
      "among the limitations are that the fighting words must be clearly directed at the person who hears them"

That specific subset of speech could be viewed as disturbing the police. But there's a whole spectrum of speech that does not fall under disturbing the peace or any other ordinance or statute. What law would you put in place that makes a mother yelling "don't arrest my son" illegal?

The solution is not limiting the speech itself. The mother is free to verbally oppose or challenge police action, just not while standing next to the officer and interfering with the police. Do you support every bystander having the right to interfere with the police doing their job?

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    That specific subset of speech could be viewed as disturbing the police. But there's a whole spectrum of speech that does not fall under disturbing the peace or any other ordinance or statute. What law would you put in place that makes a mother yelling "don't arrest my son" illegal?

The solution is not limiting the speech itself. The mother is free to verbally oppose or challenge police action, just not while standing next to the officer and interfering with the police. Do you support every bystander having the right to interfere with the police doing their job?
    No i dont that is why i believe these auditors need rules. Im pretty sure the 25ft rule is to put a restriction on thier actions. If you think its for a mother or family member interfering with a investigation well thats another matter.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    • US•LAW
    Them's fite'n wurds

Who knew this phrase actually references a law? Not me

Honestly though, I thought this was America? As long as the verbal communication is not of a threatening nature, it is, or should be, considered free speech.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Believe it or not, there are times when cops are in the wrong. This law would make it easier for them to get away with being in the wrong.

This still allows bystanders to do everything they could do before. They just can't do it in a way that interferes with police duties.

It's already illegal to interfere with police duties.

RS 14:329. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation
    A. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation is the intentional interference or obstruction of a law enforcement officer conducting investigative work at the scene of a crime or the scene of an accident by refusing to move or leave the immediate scene of the crime or the accident when ordered to do so by the law enforcement officer when the offender has reasonable grounds to believe the officer is acting in the performance of his official duties.

Can you provide an unambiguous definition for "immediate scene?"

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No i dont that is why i believe these auditors need rules. Im pretty sure the 25ft rule is to put a restriction on thier actions. If you think its for a mother or family member interfering with a investigation well thats another matter.

The 25 foot rule is to put a restriction on actions. It's so the auditors, cashiers, arborists, cartographers, cytotechnologists, gemologists, herpetologists, industrial designers, horse jockeys, kinesiologists, meteorologists, nuclear engineers, orthodontists, phlebotomists, quarry managers, robotics technicians, sommeliers, taxidermists, urban planners, volcanologists, wildlife rehabilitators, zoologists, and pretty much every other occupation and even people who are unemployed don't interfere with the investigation.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Them's fite'n wurds

Who knew this phrase actually references a law? Not me

Honestly though, I thought this was America? As long as the verbal communication is not of a threatening nature, it is, or should be, considered free speech.
    Seems stupid doesnt it. When we were kids and some kid was using fighten words we would kick their butt or get our butt kicked. Now the law has to be involved in everything so makes sense you can now be prosecuted for fighten words.
    Destroying individulism is priority one for the .gov. if i have a problem with the cops it is they have become the enforcement arm of these wanna be tyrrants and dictators. Shame really.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    The 25 foot rule is to put a restriction on actions. It's so the auditors, cashiers, arborists, cartographers, cytotechnologists, gemologists
    herpetologists, industrial designers, horse jockeys, kinesiologists, meteorologists, nuclear engineers, orthodontists, phlebotomists, quarry managers, robotics technicians, sommeliers, taxidermists, urban planners, volcanologists, wildlife rehabilitators, zoologists, and pretty much every other occupation and even people who are unemployed don't interfere with the investigation.
    Yeah but in reality its the auditors interfering.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yeah but in reality its the auditors interfering.

Not the bakers, carpenters, dietitians, electricians, firefighters, graphic designers, hairdressers, illustrators, journalists, librarians, mechanics, nurses, optometrists, plumbers, quality control inspectors, radiologists, software developers, teachers, or veterinarians? Is it the tax laws that causes one occupation to have to have their own law?

Top Bottom