"House panel advances bill requiring 25-foot distance from police officers"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    I would think that if one is merely observing from a respectable distance without interacting with LE or anyone involved, then there shouldn't be a problem. It's perfectly legal to photograph or film anyone in "plain view" at a public place.
    Discretion plays a role as well. I doubt that LE is going to arrest someone for just looking at them funny. "Stupid looks are free!"

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    It seems like all this really does is change define "immediate scene"? Of course the new argument will be over 25 feet... How often is someone cited under the current statute?

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    This still allows bystanders to do everything they could do before. They just can't do it in a way that interferes with police duties.

RS 14:329. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation
    A. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation is the intentional interference or obstruction of a law enforcement officer conducting investigative work at the scene of a crime or the scene of an accident by refusing to move or leave the immediate scene of the crime or the accident when ordered to do so by the law enforcement officer when the offender has reasonable grounds to believe the officer is acting in the performance of his official duties.

Can you provide an unambiguous definition for "immediate scene?"
    Any definition for that term would be subjective, as it is not specific. 25ft does not seem to fit the term immediate when referring to personal space.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Any definition for that term would be subjective, as it is not specific. 25ft does not seem to fit the term immediate when referring to personal space.

Immediate isn't talking about personal space. Immediate is talking about space for the police to investigate. You walking up to the passenger side of a car during a traffic stop and talking to the passenger while the cop is at the driver's door isn't invading the cop's personal space. But it is walking into their investigation.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    It's to keep people far enough away so they are not interfering with the police doing their job while allowing them to be close enough to observe and video the officers doing their job.
    they are " trained professional" right? Isnt 25ft further distance than the average joe who has a chp can legally utilizes his pistol with a known threat.... wow thats kinda odd.... :dunno: we as average every day civilians only get 21 ft to protect ourselves lol, and thats drawing form concealment, not an owb holster with backup around you lol

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    they are " trained professional" right? Isnt 25ft further distance than the average joe who has a chp can legally utilizes his pistol with a known threat.... wow thats kinda odd.... :dunno: we as average every day civilians only get 21 ft to protect ourselves lol, and thats drawing form concealment, not an owb holster with backup around you lol

You're reaching now. You're trying to cram unrelated and incorrect stuff together.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    A good handful of this stuff to the face should keep them pesky video pirates at bay.

Attachments

• IMG_5299.png
      IMG_5299.png
      557.7 KB · Views: 32

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Immediate isn't talking about personal space. Immediate is talking about space for the police to investigate. You walking up to the passenger side of a car during a traffic stop and talking to the passenger while the cop is at the driver's door isn't invading the cop's personal space. But it is walking into their investigation.
    I use that term loosely.
    I'll go back to the fact that interference with police duties is already illegal, regardless of distance. Now, just being within a predetermined, relatively large distance away, regardless of action, will land someone a charge.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    103   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I use that term loosely.
    I'll go back to the fact that interference with police duties is already illegal, regardless of distance. Now, just being within a predetermined, relatively large distance away, regardless of action, will land someone a charge.
    And im sure the 25ft would be subjective and unprovable by innocent after the perp is arrested and charged

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    And im sure the 25ft would be subjective and unprovable by innocent after the perp is arrested and charged

If someone is arrested because they are only 24 feet away, it will possibly be a bad arrest. But I think the most frequent use of the law would be the people who are not actively interfering but are passively interfering by being in the middle of the scene, well within the 25 feet. For example, like I mentioned before, someone walking up to a car during a traffic stop and talking to or exchanging things with the passengers in the car.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    So is the purpose of the bill to protect officers are stop people from filming?
    I’ve seen vids of cops walking across a street to tell the camera man to run along. 25 feet is likely just a comfort zone so cops don’t have to feel vulnerable when they have their back to someone nearby. Sure, it may not be ideal for audio especially and perhaps video, but I think if this passes it would benefit and limit both sides mutually. Is it 10 feet now? Correct me if I’m wrong, I think it’s 10 feet. That’s pretty close. Close enough to include you in the fray should things take a turn. Close enough to aggravate a testy or jumpy cop. Close enough for anyone with ill will to do damage. Close enough that a jury may sympathize with a cop for what others feel is overreacting.
    25 feet is a decent neutral spectator distance. That’s roughly 5 feet longer than a standard full size pickup. If this becomes law, maybe cops won’t be so quick to challenge or intimidate someone maintaining that distance and recording. Too far for a good video? Many of the good videos were recorded at far greater distances. Rodney King beating was filmed at a fairly great distance. The Walter Scott shooting, Oscar Grant shooting and many more were all recorded at greater than 25 feet and all used in court to successfully prosecute the killers. I don’t think increasing the distance will be any true obstacle for observing cops doing their job.

Top Bottom