"House panel advances bill requiring 25-foot distance from police officers"

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’ve seen vids of cops walking across a street to tell the camera man to run along. 25 feet is likely just a comfort zone so cops don’t have to feel vulnerable when they have their back to someone nearby. Sure, it may not be ideal for audio especially and perhaps video, but I think if this passes it would benefit and limit both sides mutually. Is it 10 feet now? Correct me if I’m wrong, I think it’s 10 feet. That’s pretty close. Close enough to include you in the fray should things take a turn. Close enough to aggravate a testy or jumpy cop. Close enough for anyone with ill will to do damage. Close enough that a jury may sympathize with a cop for what others feel is overreacting.
    25 feet is a decent neutral spectator distance. That’s roughly 5 feet longer than a standard full size pickup. If this becomes law, maybe cops won’t be so quick to challenge or intimidate someone maintaining that distance and recording. Too far for a good video? Many of the hood videos were recorded at far greater distances. Rodney King beating was filmed at a fairly great distance. The Walter Scott shooting, Oscar Grant shooting and many more were all recorded at greater than 25 feet and all used in court successfully prosecute the killers. I don’t think increasing the distance will be any true obstacle for observing cops doing their job.

Uh oh. This makes sense. I think someone hacked magdump's account.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Those Frauditors need some old fashion law enforcement. They just push the LEO's to get YouTube numbers up and maybe a lawsuit.

drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    Define ""crime scene"... And who defines the area as a crime scene???? Is that legal boundry marked by crime scene tape at every citizen encounter or just some arbitratory line drawn on the ground ????? Who is going to be standing around every police officer with a measuring tape measure to mark off the 25ft distance whenever they have ANY interaction with a member of the public ??? Now I am not against the law enforcement community in doing their job legally and professionally... But we all know there has to be more acountability with our officers "in this day and age".... The bad apples are giving the good ones a bad name and some of the good ones are not challangeing the bad ones when they do bad...................................Folks let us get real about this issue and I do not have a answer....................................... drill sgt.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    A traffic lane is 10ft wide? So officers stopping people on the highway/any public street will block 2 lanes of traffic, or else drivers are breaking the law. So now traffic stops require surrounding traffic to wait until the stop is over and the officer has completed their official business.

$200 ticket costs the public thousands or millions in commerce/time/losses as they stop traffic, get people fired from jobs due to being late, and make shipments late...that sounds about right for how the Government "helps" people.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A traffic lane is 10ft wide? So officers stopping people on the highway/any public street will block 2 lanes of traffic, or else drivers are breaking the law. So now traffic stops require surrounding traffic to wait until the stop is over and the officer has completed their official business.

$200 ticket costs the public thousands or millions in commerce/time/losses as they stop traffic, get people fired from jobs due to being late, and make shipments late...that sounds about right for how the Government "helps" people.

eye roll.gif

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    This is great. I needed a reason to get the wife to ok a fast car purchase. I can tell her with a straight face that I need a car that can keep at least 25 feet away from any police vehicle, or I will be committing a felony and could be incarcerated. Thinking a new GT with the whipple blower, 700 hp should be enough to keep distance from those pesky state police units that are always behind me with their lights on when I drive over 90.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    but for real...does the bill specify something that prevents that? 10ft is reflected in the requirement to be a lane over from the stop....

It's a short bill. Read it for yourself. When you're done, please let me know if you see why that question should not be taken seriously by anyone who has read it.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA

It's a short bill. Read it for yourself. When you're done, please let me know if you see why that question should not be taken seriously by anyone who has read it.

For those not reading it, here's the money shot:

9 A. No person shall knowingly or intentionally approach within twenty-five
    10 feet of a peace officer who is lawfully engaged in the execution of his official duties
    11 after the peace officer has ordered the person to stop approaching or to retreat.

Top Bottom