How accurate is an SKS?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You can keep your rounds on a 12" gong at 200 yards from a decent position (sitting or prone) if you can overcome the mediocre trigger. I remember the day that you could get an SKS and a case of ammo for under $200. It was quite a deal and worth every cent.

Dan

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I see lots of vague answers here, which is unusual for this group. I'd really like to know, what kind of accuracy can you get from an SKS? In inches at 100 yards? 50 yards?
    I'm planning on buying a 6.8 upper to use for hunting and shtf, since I have an AR in .223. Can I accomplish the same thing for half that cost with an SKS?

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Someone said that Commy rifles were 6moa, NATO are 4moa.

I'm not sure how this fits with the SKS, 6moa is my guess based on that general statement.

I think they are pretty good, reliable, general use combat rifles.

Probably ok for SHTF, though I'd rather an AK type weapon with looser tolerances that I dont have to clean since I may not be able to. I'd trust an AK over an SKS, not sure if that is 100% warranted or not.

For deer an AK is OK, an SKS is probably OK too, but I don't suggest that either of them be used for hunting with Iron sights at 200 yards...but I don't really advise that for anyone. Mostly because I want an animal to drop on the spot, don't like it for them to suffer and don't want my meat source to escape the grasp of my belly...if it's a BG...I don't mind as much, in theory anyway...seeing a person suffering as they bleed to death may change my mind...might make me put more bullets in them, cant always do that with a wild animal since they have a stronger flee instinct when they are injured...and 4 legs to run with.

I can't give you more specifics on it, I'm sorry.

oldironsights

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2008
    Carriere, Mississippi
    I recently sold a 1967 Chinese Norinco SKS to Slidell Arms equipped with rear Tech sights & KNS front sight.I replaced the awful Chinese trigger group with a better Yugoslavian one.
    Whoever bought that rifle from The Slidell Sportsman has a rifle that will shoot within a two inch circle all day long from 100 yards away using cheap Wolf steel cased ammo.
    I am not a great shooter. I suffer from poor eyesight, heavy breathing, rapid pulse, poor trigger control, lack of training, & general inexperience.
    Many others can shoot better.
    My other Chinese SK, along with my Russian & various Yugoslavian SK's could never come close to shooting with that 1967 Chinese SK.
    My current & only SK is a Chinese SKS-D model. It shoots just as well or just as poorly as an AK.
    The SKS was designed as a cheap, easy to manufacture, easy to use & clean carbine that was rugged enough for untrained conscripts in the communist sphere.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    It is another rifle that is more accurate than the person shooting it.

I see this statement all of the time and I find it both odd and untrue. The only way you can figure out how accurate you are capable of shooting is with an electronic trainer (which has 0 shot dispersion) or with a very accurate rifle. I think people make this comment because they have so little faith in their shooting ability. The funny thing is that with some instruction and practice, pretty much anyone can shoot reasonably well.

It is a cop-put and provides a built in excuse for lack of effort.

Dan

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I have personally put 10 shots in a 3 inch circle at 100 yards with a scope on it. That was from a sitting position at the benches at HI. I am not a great shot, but I am sure someone with a better trigger and more experience can do better.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It suffers the same "lack of accuracy" as the AK. Meaning the rifle is plenty accurate, but it's just not very easy to SHOOT accurately with the short sight radius and outdated sight design. However it's a combat rifle and easy to put on target and easy to quickly spit out follow-up shots.

Speaking of...what are some good replacement options for the irons on AK/SKS rifles? Meaning no scopes or glue/weld/screw/bubblegum on gadgetry.

chevydriver350

Young Padawong
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    kenner
    back to the original question iv a kinda new yugo and wen its nice and cool with cheap ammo like monarch about 10 rounds in 5 minutes will be accurate but after that they tend to go every were at about 150 yards. but using some nice remington or winchester for say hunting purposes it keeps a much tighter group at 150 yards and i had to cycle about 30 rounds b 4 it began to dramatically started going everwere. just be carful if you get on on what kind of scope mount if any you woulf get for it get one that locks down bc the standard 1 moves around lol hope this helps you on your decision.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    why do these guns lose accuracy after about 100 to 150 rounds?

barrel fluctuation with heat? ??? what is it?

Top Bottom