how can this be

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    This lady is arrested, because she refused to issue marriage certificates for Gay Union, and not allowing the deputies beneath her to do so.

She has been arrested for this. I do not understand the grounds for arrest. Termination, I would understand, change of Job position, i get that too, but arrested?

To each his / her own. But how did we get to a place, where American Christians, are penalized for our beliefs. The christian bible clearly states homosexuality is a no no.
    marriage, is supposed to be a union before god. How can we legally force a christian to recognize a gay marriage? If the gay marriage is to allow legal decision making, or tax credits, why not institute a governmental union?

If this was a muslim, or hindu, this would have never happened. Arrest a muslim for being muslim, and watch what happens.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    She works for the GOVERNMENT, not the church. She's been married how many times????? That kinda goes against the religion she's claiming anyway right? Oh yeah, it's a new found religious belief. But I understand the question your asking, why not fired instead of arrest for contempt of court? Maybe because she.was ordered by the court to issue the licenses and she still did not.....

Last edited:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    This lady is arrested, because she refused to issue marriage certificates for Gay Union, and not allowing the deputies beneath her to do so.

She has been arrested for this. I do not understand the grounds for arrest. Termination, I would understand, change of Job position, i get that too, but arrested?

To each his / her own. But how did we get to a place, where American Christians, are penalized for our beliefs. The christian bible clearly states homosexuality is a no no.
    marriage, is supposed to be a union before god. How can we legally force a christian to recognize a gay marriage? If the gay marriage is to allow legal decision making, or tax credits, why not institute a governmental union?

If this was a muslim, or hindu, this would have never happened. Arrest a muslim for being muslim, and watch what happens.

I believe that a judge ordered her to issue licenses to homosexual couples and she ignored his order. SO the grounds would be Contempt of Court.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I believe that a judge ordered her to issue licenses to homosexual couples and she ignored his order. SO the grounds would be Contempt of Court.

Yes. This.

However: It's an interesting question as to whether she'd be arrested if she were a Muslim. Unfortunately, it's a valid question.

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    Because she failed to comply with a court order...That will generally get you arrested.

Or would you rather simply because she claims to be christian, not have to follow the law of the land? She seems to not follow her so called religion either.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    First. The bible does not speak against remarriage. It speaks against divorce, but makes allowances for divorce. It never says thou shall not remarry. Second Jesus allows repentance, of past sins, if you are sincere.

First amendment -- respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting free excercise of religion.

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    If one cannot fulfill the duties or the duties have changed against ones wishes, one should resign. Or is this about 30 seconds of fame?

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    Welcome to the new and improved USA!

You joke, but this IS an improvement. I would love to see more self serving elected officials ousted for NOT DOING THEIR JOB. That stupid woman brought this on herself and she deserves to be jailed and impeached. I pray this might start a national movement of actually holding elected officials responsible for performing all their duties.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Welcome to the new and improved USA!

It is a sad day in America when a Christian is arrested for standing for her principles, the same Christian principles that this nation was founded on.

Yes. This.

However: It's an interesting question as to whether she'd be arrested if she were a Muslim. Unfortunately, it's a valid question.

I believe if she were not a Christian, this would be a different story.

Because she failed to comply with a court order...That will generally get you arrested.

Or would you rather simply because she claims to be christian, not have to follow the law of the land? She seems to not follow her so called religion either.

Civil disobedience is the active, professed refusal to obey certain laws, demands, and commands of a government, or of an occupying international power. Civil disobedience is a symbolic or ritualistic violation of the law, rather than a rejection of the system as a whole.

Civil disobedience is a way of effecting change on laws that one feels are unjust.

She has only been a Christian since 2011, so how has she not followed her "so called religion" as you put it?

If one cannot fulfill the duties or the duties have changed against ones wishes, one should resign. Or is this about 30 seconds of fame?

It is about standing up for what you believe in.

You joke, but this IS an improvement. I would love to see more self serving elected officials ousted for NOT DOING THEIR JOB. That stupid woman brought this on herself and she deserves to be jailed and impeached. I pray this might start a national movement of actually holding elected officials responsible for performing all their duties.

So she should just give in to a law that she feels is immoral and unjust?

Should the founding fathers have just given in to the British Government instead of standing against them?

If the court were to rule that all firearms should be confiscated, should the elected sheriffs just do their duty and come get your guns? Or should they stand for what they believe in and refuse to follow the law?

There was no law passed by any elected body granting these "rights" to homosexuals. In fact the court overturned several state and federal laws with their ruling.
    By a large majority both state and federal legislature passed laws protecting the sanctity of marriage.

When courts make law contrary to what the majority of the people and elected representatives want, we should all stand against it.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Quotes from Kim Davis.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...-am-prepared-to-go-to-jail.html?intcmp=hplnws

*I’ve weighed the cost and I’m prepared to go to jail, I sure am,* Mrs. Davis told me in an exclusive interview. *This has never been a gay or lesbian issue for me. This is about upholding the word of God.*

*I would have to either make a decision to stand or I would have to buckle down and leave,* she said, pondering her choices. *And if I left, resigned or chose to retire, I would have no voice for God’s word."

*They told my husband they were going to burn us down while we slept in our home,* she said. *He’s been told that he would be beaten up and tied up and made to watch them rape me. I have been told that gays should kill me.*

*I’m very steadfast in what I believe,* she told me. *I don’t leave my conscience and my Christian soul out in my vehicle and come in here and pretend to be something I’m not. It’s easy to talk the talk, but can you walk the walk?*

*All I can say to them is if they have a sordid past like what I had, they too can receive the cleansing and renewing, and they can start a fresh life and they can be different,* she said. *They don’t have to remain in their sin, there’s hope for tomorrow.*

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

It can't and won't be a symbol of the government finally enforcing government duties upon it's elected officials. Just try to get a suppressor sign off from LEO in Lafayette Parish...then let's lobby for CLEO to be jailed for contempt of court when it doesn't happen. This ploy is simply a statement that Christian beliefs and practices are gone in this country and won't be tolerated...but gay marriage and abortion MUST BE TOLERATED. The USA is now it's own god with it's own conveniently adapted "rules" and has literally no basis upon which to stand on. Even when looking at the constitution as the basis for our laws, our elected officials have decided to skirt the first amendment (thanks Rainsdrops for the cite) in this case. You can't have the essential document upon which all laws are built off of reference freedom of religion and then sit here and claim 'separation of church and state' is the reason for jail time. That is QUITE a contradiction!

SO, what's the next step - Changing the first amendment to suit your new objectives? I mean afterall this woman clearly had no issues performing her government-appointed tasks prior to the law changing of her duties. In short, the government changed her work duties to something that she felt now violated her first amendment rights. Did you look it it like that yet?
    If so, then what is the basis for the ownership of firearms by it's people? Are you going to sit by and let them change the second amendment to suit their other objectives? Or maybe make other state laws that violate your second amendment rights (as NY, CA, etc have chosen to do?).

I think our silent majority needs to stand up for what they actually believe in and I look at this lady as a perfect example. A flawed human (as we ALL are - boy is it easy to call ANYONE a hypocrite), who has clearly been changed by her faith is standing up for what she believes in and is supported by in her first amendment rights. I'll say I'm very proud of her in the face of such oppression and potential humiliation.

It is SO easy to sit back and compare your strengths to other's weaknesses BTW. If you take a step back and look at how you would compare YOUR weaknesses to HERS, or your strengths to hers, you might come out with a different point of view in this situation. Her stance to not issue the license is exactly the same stance as the gay couple that continues to confront her. Both in the spotlight, both standing for what they believe, both seemingly supported by some parts of the law and some parts of the population...how can you not see this debate in that light? To call HER stupid and not the gay couple is clearly your choosing of sides...they are either both stupid or both strong for standing on their beliefs in this situation. I guess it just comes down to what you believe in, but we have strayed from the basis of ANY solid belief in this country because we are actually giving the minority a center stage to broadcast louder than the majority and the majority ends up being drowned out by the noise.

MY .02

EDIT - this was being typed as whitsend was posting...wow close trains of thought there.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    15n8tb8.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here. Tiny bit hypocritical if you ask me. The 'good book' is pretty clear about adultery. Now, to be clear, I reeeeeally don't care who this woman sleeps with or who she marries or when, that's her decision. I would hope that who I choose to marry be left to me as well.

But, all that aside, as an elected official she made an oath to discharge her duties. If she cannot do that, the right thing for her to do is to step down from office. Civil disobedience is great but it comes with consequences. By all means a person should stand up for what they believe in, but if those beliefs cause you to run afoul of the law... expect what happens next. In my opinion this whole thing went about as well as it could have from both sides.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    15n8tb8.jpg

I'm just going to leave this here. Tiny bit hypocritical if you ask me. The 'good book' is pretty clear about adultery. Now, to be clear, I reeeeeally don't care who this woman sleeps with or who she marries or when, that's her decision. I would hope that who I choose to marry be left to me as well.

You are missing the fact that all that was PRIOR to her being a Christian.
    At the time she was living by what she believed. She didn't become a Christian until 2011. That was when Christ changed her from the person she was before.

You call her a hypocrite, but what has she done since she became a Christian that makes her a hypocrite?

0640.image_5F00_thumb_5F00_1.png

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    15n8tb8.jpg

But, all that aside, as an elected official she made an oath to discharge her duties. If she cannot do that, the right thing for her to do is to step down from office. Civil disobedience is great but it comes with consequences. By all means a person should stand up for what they believe in, but if those beliefs cause you to run afoul of the law... expect what happens next. In my opinion this whole thing went about as well as it could have from both sides.

Again the hyprocite stone...easiest one to cast...you should be proud that you are so much better.

The oath was to uphold her duties at the time of election to the duties. Duties changed during term therefore the oath is nullified. They can just as easily say "Elect someone else at next term". Do you wish you could do the same for our President? I know a LOT of people wish they could just kick him out now based on performance in certain areas of his job duties.

I wonder if she took the oath with her hand on the bible followed by the words "So help me God".

I have the same question for the judges in these cases.

Last edited:

JoeLiberty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    United States
    You are missing the fact that all that was PRIOR to her being a Christian.
    At the time she was living by what she believed. She didn't become a Christian until 2011. That was when Christ changed her from the person she was before.

You call her a hypocrite, but what has she done since she became a Christian that makes her a hypocrite?
    You make a fair point, actually. According to Jesus her sins are all warshed away, right? That's great! Good for her. Honestly I had not considered that. I really don't really care if she is a hypocrite or not. Just like I don't care who she is sleeping with now. Is it husband #2 or is she back to #1? Is she having some sort of lesbian affair now? Who knows? Who cares? I only brought it up b/c I thought it was kinda funny.
    I also think this is kinda funny:
    2u886dd.jpg

All jokes aside it's a very interesting case. Religious rights vs civil rights, civil disobedience vs an oath of office, tolerance, freedom, sex, God. So many hot topics! And it's a tough one... While I disagree with her views I like that she is not backing down and is taking the fight to the government on something she feels strongly about. I wish I had half of her conviction on the things I feel strongly about.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom