how can this be

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    She works for the GOVERNMENT, not the church. She's been married how many times????? That kinda goes against the religion she's claiming anyway right? Oh yeah, it's a new found religious belief. But I understand the question your asking, why not fired instead of arrest for contempt of court? Maybe because she.was ordered by the court to issue the licenses and she still did not.....

EXACTLY...It is why I and you are paying her. It is her job. If she can't do her job, she needs to resign. She refuses to resign. So the system we live in...a system of laws...Acted. Arresting her for contempt of court for ignoring a judges order was and is the proper response.

If the system were to allow her to get away with her behavior...then we'd have total chaos.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    EXACTLY...It is why I and you are paying her. It is her job. If she can't do her job, she needs to resign. She refuses to resign. So the system we live in...a system of laws...Acted. Arresting her for contempt of court for ignoring a judges order was and is the proper response.

If the system were to allow her to get away with her behavior...then we'd have total chaos the history of America.

FIFY

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    She refused to comply with a court order. That is why she got arrested.

What is more interesting than Mrs. Davis being a democrat or a hypocrite, is how exactly she has been able to attract so many men.

9d19b2a9dfcf8ac28a0563159cc6fc1bc2dcf3c413c1a3c2343ea092ba6f1477.jpg

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Again the hyprocite stone...easiest one to cast...you should be proud that you are so much better.

The oath was to uphold her duties at the time of election to the duties. Duties changed during term therefore the oath is nullified. They can just as easily say "Elect someone else at next term". Do you wish you could do the same for our President? I know a LOT of people wish they could just kick him out now based on performance in certain areas of his job duties.

I wonder if she took the oath with her hand on the bible followed by the words "So help me God".

I have the same question for the judges in these cases.

By that understanding, she would only have to accomplish what's on her docket on day she takes her oath, and she need not show up for any work given to her the next day.

The oath doesn't become null because a law changes, or because jurisprudence changes, or because a court order changes. **** changes everyday.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    But the constitution is written against, government enforcing against a persons religious belief.

She broke the law, because the government made an unconstitutional ruling. And people defend the arrest.
    Next your pastors, and priest will be mandated to honor the union.
    Don't cry, when they remove more of your constitional rights, to satisfy their personal goals.
    The gay marriage ruling, was to gain votes.. Political parties, realize if they can gain the votes of all minorities, they have the majority of the votes. And they are changing the constitution to do so. Think Obama really cares if 2 gay men get a tax credit?

It's funny, people quickly quote the bible, on the sins of others. These quoters, never told a lie, never coveted another's property, never put the gain of wealth above all (graven images). But I understand
    when we point out the sins of others, it makes our sins, not as bad. It makes us feel better
    To the Christians making comments, sins aren't greater or less than, despite what our ego tells us

dk.easterly

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Clinton, LA
    There's this new fangled deal...it's called separation of church and state.

If you cannot fulfill your duties as an employee of the state, you need to be removed from your position.

If you fail to comply with a court ordered decision, you face the consequences.

Or do you not believe in the constitution?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    There's this new fangled deal...it's called separation of church and state.

If you cannot fulfill your duties as an employee of the state, you need to be removed from your position.

If you fail to comply with a court ordered decision, you face the consequences.

Or do you not believe in the constitution?

Many have a misconception of the meaning of "separation of church and state".

Thomas Jefferson had no intention of allowing the government to limit, restrict, regulate, or interfere with public religious practices. He believed, along with the other Founders, that the First Amendment had been enacted only to prevent the federal establishment of a national denomination – a fact he made clear in a letter to fellow-signer of the Declaration of Independence Benjamin Rush:

[T]he clause of the Constitution which, while it secured the freedom of the press, covered also the freedom of religion, had given to the clergy a very favorite hope of obtaining an establishment of a particular form of Christianity through the United States; and as every sect believes its own form the true one, every one perhaps hoped for his own, but especially the Episcopalians and Congregationalists. The returning good sense of our country threatens abortion to their hopes and they believe that any portion of power confided to me will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly.
    http://www.wallbuilders.com/libissuesarticles.asp?id=123

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    But the constitution is written against, government enforcing against a persons religious belief.

She broke the law, because the government made an unconstitutional ruling. And people defend the arrest.
    Next your pastors, and priest will be mandated to honor the union.
    Don't cry, when they remove more of your constitional rights, to satisfy their personal goals.
    The gay marriage ruling, was to gain votes.. Political parties, realize if they can gain the votes of all minorities, they have the majority of the votes. And they are changing the constitution to do so. Think Obama really cares if 2 gay men get a tax credit?

It's funny, people quickly quote the bible, on the sins of others. These quoters, never told a lie, never coveted another's property, never put the gain of wealth above all (graven images). But I understand
    when we point out the sins of others, it makes our sins, not as bad. It makes us feel better
    To the Christians making comments, sins aren't greater or less than, despite what our ego tells us

I appreciate where you're coming from, but she is a government employee, a public servant. She is not being personally forced to do anything against her beliefs, only being required to do her job. She could easily resign her job and thus not be forced to go against her religious beliefs.

Your pastor and priest are not government employees or servants of the public. Even though they serve their congregations, they are not public employees and do not have to carry out the law, nor do they have any duty under the law to serve anyone else.

Whether you or I believe it to be constitutional or not, this has been upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States. For better or worse, this is how the law has been interpreted and decided for hundreds of years in this country. We can hope for a change in the law, or a new interpretation by the courts, but at this point all avenues have been exhausted and that is what we are stuck with for the time being.

She is entitled to her opinion and her beliefs, but she has to do her job, or step aside. It's one thing to exhaust your legal avenues, and another to simply act in defiance of the law. She applied for her stay and it was denied. What she did thereafter was inexcusable under our legal system.

I agree, calling her a hypocrite isn't an appropriate way to accomplish anything.

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    I agree she didn't follow a court order. But the order is unconstitutional

It is unconstitutional for congress to interfere with religion, or the the right of religious expression.
    She refused to issue the documents, because of her religious beliefs.
    So they issued a court order, so that anyone who disagrees, will be arrested, and an example would be made out of that person, to others who may feel the same

This country is founded on the blood and sacrifces of people who stood up. it Now we arrests citizens who make a non violent stand??

Paragraph from the Kentucky resolution 1798.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press*: thereby guarding in the same sentence, and under the same words, the freedom of religion, of speech, and of the press: insomuch, that whatever violated either, throws down the sanctuary which covers the others, arid that libels, falsehood, and defamation, equally with heresy and false religion, are withheld from the cognizance of federal tribunals. That, therefore, the act of Congress of the United States, passed on the 14th day of July, 1798, intituled *An Act in addition to the act intituled An Act for the punishment of certain crimes against the United States,* which does abridge the freedom of the press, is not law, but is altogether void, and of no force.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    I'm interested to know if there are any investigations into the threats made against her and her family. They sound pretty serious. Her actions aside, it is not appropriate for someone to threaten to rape someone while their spouse watches because they did not get their way, or burn down their house while they are asleep inside. Frankly, from their point of view, it's should not be that big of a deal; she will go to jail and these couples can get married by someone else.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm sure the same ones defending her as acting morally through civil disobedience would similarly applaud her if she was taking a stand for sharia law

Rainsdrops

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 17, 2010
    Houma
    If our forefathers wouldn't have disobeyed civilly, we would still have a queen, and care who prince Phillip is shagging.
    Our pledge would sound weird, one nation, under sharia law.
    These things become precidents. At one time, a catholic pharmacist coud refuse, fill birth control prescriptions, at his pharmacy. Not so anymore

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    If our forefathers wouldn't have disobeyed civilly, we would still have a queen, and care who prince Phillip is shagging.
    Our pledge would sound weird, one nation, under sharia law.
    These things become precidents. At one time, a catholic pharmacist coud refuse, fill birth control prescriptions, at his pharmacy. Not so anymore

At one time we could also be arrested for anal sex or miscegenation. Glad we've moved past that

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    It's so much easier being an atheist, and having morals based on what I know to be right and wrong and not going by what some book written by man says. And by the way; F*** sharia.

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    I'm sure the same ones defending her as acting morally through civil disobedience would similarly applaud her if she was taking a stand for sharia law

This is what I'm thinking. If she refused to sign the certificates because she were Muslim and Islam teaches same sex marriages were wrong, you can bet your ass she wouldn't have gone to jail.

rtr_rtr

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    This is what I'm thinking. If she refused to sign the certificates because she were Muslim and Islam teaches same sex marriages were wrong, you can bet your ass she wouldn't have gone to jail.

That's not the point I was making, but I'll agree that's likely the case

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I don't usually jump into these kinds of threads, but I want to throw out a couple of ideas to ponder on. I am not calling you out by any means, but your post serves as a good stepping stone.

People keep saying the court order to allow same-sex marriage is unconstitutional. I just don't get it. This country tries to separate church and state as much as possible. Most people would argue that it is a good thing because they don't want the other religion, whatever that may be, influencing laws that could affect them. I imagine most people would say they are a Christian, or at least something close. These people would not want the Muslim faith to influence laws that they would have to follow. That being said, allowing same-sex couples to marry LEGALLY UNDER THE LAW in the United States gives more freedom to more people. The Supreme Court took away precedents that were set (mostly due to religion) to allow more people to have the same freedoms that other people previously had. No where did the court state that churches have to let people they don't want to unite through marriage marry in their church. The court is NOT interfering with any religion. They are just allowing same-sex couples to reap the benefits of marriage that heterosexual couples already had access to.

As for the lady that got arrested - she was arrested for not following a direct court order. She was not doing her job and got called out on it. It doesn't matter what she wasn't doing in her job in my opinion, if you don't do your job you get fired. I have certain duties that I must do at work, and whether I agree with them or not, I must do them. If not, I am going to be told to get out. If my company came out with a new policy that I didn't agree with, I would express my discontent, and then either adhere to it, or leave (or be fired).

On to the subject of same-sex couples being married under the law: I don't understand why people care. It doesn't affect me in the slightest whether anyone gets married - gay or not. I don't get why people are so up in arms about the US allowing anyone to get married under the law. It doesn't really affect anyone other than the people getting married. Besides, most of the people I know that are married recommend me to wait absolutely as long as possible to get married and many even say it's a bad idea...so if someone wants to do that to themselves, why not let them?

I agree she didn't follow a court order. But the order is unconstitutional

It is unconstitutional for congress to interfere with religion, or the the right of religious expression.
    She refused to issue the documents, because of her religious beliefs.
    So they issued a court order, so that anyone who disagrees, will be arrested, and an example would be made out of that person, to others who may feel the same

This country is founded on the blood and sacrifces of people who stood up. it Now we arrests citizens who make a non violent stand??

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    How is nobody talking about her request? That her name not be on the certificate??? Many other states did it.
    Also, to a couple of you... who are you to choose what and how she can claim religion? Freedom of religion does not only apply if you are following an established religion to the T. Shame on you people.

She has a right to resign yes, but she also has a right to not be persecuted per her religion. Numerous other states have removed the clerk names to appease this issue for hundreds of other clerks.

There are also hundreds more who have successfully had the terms "Bride/Groom, wife/husband put back on their certificates. Same thing.

If simply not falling in line to the T to "earn" a particular title means you cant claim it, then none of yall are Conservatives, none of yall hold the Constitution sacred, and no one here is a good person because at the end of the day I'm sure I could fine a part of your life that renders the claim null and void.

Further, that meme above me has absolutely no likeness to the case. Its not forcing the man in the park to participate in the eating of ice cream on Monday. That meme isn't even a good try.

when this all passed I made a statement that the left would not stop here because the activist don't want equality... they simply want forced acceptance.

Top Bottom