How to sell a gun collection

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigToby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2020
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    How does a widow, who knows nothing about guns, go about selling her late husband's gun collection assuming the immediate family does not want the collection? Are there companies here in Baton Rouge who would handle a situation like this?

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Ask a friend. I’ve gone through and sold two separate collections for widows within the past five years. Just ask around. Someone close to the family will more than likely be happy to help.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    You could use someone trustworthy to do it a piece/pieces at a time to get the most money. A whole collection is quick but may bring in less money. Many gun shops will sell guns for you on consignment.

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    yeah post it up here with some pics, I would like to check out some older guns. What I would do, is check gunbroker, and what is msrp, and try to price it close to what you think is fair using those 2 prices.

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Depends on how many firearms and what types. Collector pieces or just a gathering of eclectic arms? If it's a lot of high dollar collector pieces, auction house. If it's a large number of eclectic pieces, possibly through a gun store like Jim's or Louisiana Gun and Reloading on consignment. Just a dozen or so. sell them here. Yes, a knowledgeable friend can help a great deal.

Fordfella

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2018
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Do your homework. I sold a few pieces for an estate. The executor was shocked when I sent him a check. He would have sold the entire lot for what I got for the best 4 pieces.

BigToby

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2020
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana
    How does a widow, who knows nothing about guns, go about selling her late husband's gun collection assuming the immediate family does not want the collection? Are there companies here in Baton Rouge who would handle a situation like this?
    Thank you to all who replied. Your suggestions were very helpful. Thanks again

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    Years ago, I bought a “collection” of weapons from a widow. I went through everything she had, put a fair market value for each piece, totaled it up and discounted that total somewhere around 15-20%. She took the list and a few of the guns to a local gun shop and asked them to value those guns against my prices. The gun shop told her, “He’s giving you a fair deal. Plus, you are done with bringing strangers into your house because he is willing to buy everything.”

I’ve since lost all of those in a boating accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullman63

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    HOUTEX
    I'm in a similar situation with guns to sell for a family member. Gun shops here charge 25% of the sales price and pawn shops will offer you 50% of the "new" value. Neither are really good options. You got some good advice above. If you have pistols or AR type firearms, you may want to use a FFL holder to do a transfer for you and pay them the $40 or so cost to help you avoid some issues down the road.

Welldoya

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Some good advice here. I helped a good friend’s niece sell several of her deceased husband’s guns a couple of years ago.
    Does the deceased have a trustworthy friend who knows guns?
    Second choice would be consignment at a local gun shop. Be sure to make a list and take pictures of what you take to the shop and I wouldn’t pay over 15% consignment fee.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Ford’s specializes in consignments. Louisiana firearms are good people I’ve dealt with repeatedly. I mostly like Jim’s but they’re not exactly known as being about the consumer so much as about the profit margin… that said, most of the folks working there are very knowledgeable and would likely at least point you in the right direction. Cabelas used to do estate purchases - a close friend of my brother in law in West Virginia is the northeast director for their gun library purchasing. Not sure if they’re still doing it but they used to be generally pretty fair with their pricing. Personally, I think a 20% commission is fair to move a good item, and 25% to move cheap or very niche items.

emile64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2022
    Metairie, LA
    I am an FFL in Metairie and my business is based on locating and selling firearms for my customers. My company is Hientz Firearms.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I thought 25% seemed high for consignment as well. It would probably be based on the quality/collectability of the lot as well. Also, like the car auctions, they will sometimes take less on a per item basis to make a deal work for a customer and net the same for the seller.

pyreaux

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 5, 2009
    BRLA
    You can try calling someone like Estates by Two Sisters to help or give advice. I believe they've sold a few collections with their estates sales. Knives as well. They have a resoursmce to two that's helps them price guns and knives.

mrwiggins

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2006
    East of Hammond
    i'm happy to help if i can. i've helped with some estate sales in the past.

Top Bottom