Hurricane Isaac

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Yayy its back!

Not yay that I got rescued by a boat by family members who had a go devil. Had almost a foot when we left. It had been at that level for a couple hours thankfully. Got the mojority of guns out in the boat. Most important is my son, wife, and dog are ok.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Yayy its back!

Not yay that I got rescued by a boat by family members who had a go devil. Had almost a foot when we left. It had been at that level for a couple hours thankfully. Got the mojority of guns out in the boat. Most important is my son, wife, and dog are ok.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If you call Anchorage, Alaska awesome, I guess so. I stayed home to secure up 3 houses and do this instead...

Oh, btw, just lost power (Entergy) here in Prairieville...

ACK! Yes!!!

We were up there this time last year. In fact, we left on Sept 6th.

We're going back next summer, spend a little time around the Kenai, Whittier and Seward area before taking a plane to Ketchikan. :)

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Yayy its back!

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    It never flooded here before!

I said this earlier. Why in the name of God stay?

They all say the same thing soaking wet in the back of a National Guard truck. "Well it never flooded here before!"
    Which will be the same thing they say to the same reporter next week when they interview him about not having flood insurance.

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Guys, it's not like this was Venice. The areas that flooded are right on the Mississippi River, right at the north end of Plaquemines Parish. Some of these houses didn't even get water in Katrina. Evacuation is expensive, and up until near landfall, this was an unorganized TS/Cat 1. You might have been tempted to stay too.

SHOULD they have evacuated? Sure. But, this can happen anywhere, as we're seeing with what's happening in Laplace and along the Tangi River. Areas south of Braithwaite on the east side of the parish didn't flood, so it's not like all of Plaquemines is an automatic flood sentence for every storm.

I think many people forget, no matter how upriver, that we're still on an alluvial flood plain. This can, and will, happen anywhere.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Jack, sounds like a plumbing problem, refrain from flushing.
    I think it was just the house settling. I dug a trench to drain my yard and the neighbors, and it went away quickly. Had to go up on the roof last night maybe(no sleep so things are kinda blending together) to seal the hole in the roof left by the missing turbine. Thankfully the base was still there so I wrapped a few trash bags around it followed by a bed sheet folded over a few times to protect the bags, then secured it all with a belt. It held up well and I got he turbine replaced earlier today. Trying to hold a bed sheet in 100 mph gusts was exciting/scary to say the least. Think of a fat guy parasurfing except without the board and you get the idea.

Overall though I'm happy, the new turbine was ~45 dollars, so if the floors don't buckle I will have made up really well. Hell if cox refunds me my few days of missing cable and I save some of my electric bill due to no power I might break even. I already offered this to Chris, but if there is anyone in the parish who needs a hand please let me know. I'm hearing we won't be expected back to work until Tuesday, so until then I'll have a lot of spare time. I know I was havinv problems with my phone's 3G, so I'll leave a number rather than checking for replies. 504-seven one five-one five 81

The side of the RadioShack here got ripped open, as did the grocery store behind the taco bell. Lots of roof damage siding damage and a few downed trees/broken windows, but nothing too bad.

Last edited:

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    How's the weather down yonder? Hey guys. I evacuated my butt back to Georgia this past Monday. Is it safe for me to come back to the Westbank?

gonepecan

Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Oct 2, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yayy its back!

Glad you are all okay!

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    My supervisor texted me yesterday. He lives (well, lived...) in LaPlace, Ridgewood neighborhood. Said his new car (a '12 Camaro) was going under and water was running into his house. They bailed, I assume in their Tahoe, and got out of town. Later he asked me if I could get info on his neighborhood. I told him a lady on the SJB Sheriffs Facebook page reported she had relatives in their attic at 52 Ridgewood, water climbing. He said that was the HIGH end of his street. His house was halfway up the street. Maybe with any luck it's not as bad as it sounds. But I fear the worst.

Today I asked where he was at. He said Kentwood and that things were looking better until they were being forced to evacuate due to the possible failure of the dam at Percy Quinn. He was so scared he was going to lose even the few things he has with him. It's him, his wife, his son, and I guess an '08 Tahoe full of what they could save. He asked what roads were open. I told him if he can or isn't going elsewhere, go west. My door is open and I can promise it's not going under. The power even came back on. That was a few hours ago. I'm not sure where he is at or how he is doing right now.

I feel so bad for the guy. I asked him Monday what the work schedule was for Tuesday. He said 'We better all be at work! Just a damn rain shower!'. And now his house is probably neck deep or better in water. But I guess nobody saw that coming. Some speculate that the levee and pump buildup around New Orleans meant the water had to find the next weak link. LaPlace was the weak link.

We have work tomorrow but as of this evening the road I take to work had over a foot of water at the entrance. The L&W gas station on the corner was ass deep in flood. I guess if its like that at 6AM I'll try going in through Albany.

Hope everyone is OK. The storm surprised the hell out of some people.

Last edited:

ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    I hope I'm not the only one that went out and had fun. We lost power for good Wednesday morning so suffering boredom we drove over to mandeville and ended up going swimming in the lake shore down Lafite st. Hung out in the gazeebo out there drinking a few beers that floated by with some other guys that had an adventure itch, hopefully I can post the photo the guy took for us. He was waiting in the street for us to come back.

Can't post the pic right now, I'm not familiar with this iPad.....for being 24 , I can't keep up with the tech like I should. Maybe I spend to much time outside.....

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    In Laplace now trying to get things going with local officials. Droping off bunch of 35 kW gen trying to help. Prayers out to all families and may God get things back on track soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jp3544
    Top Bottom