Hurricane Sandy in NYC

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Poorboy504

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Westbank/nola
    Hi, I am currently in New York. I had the pleasure of evacuating from Katrina, experiencing Isaac, and now "survived" Sandy. I know that Sandy wrecked havoc along the Jersey Shore, Long Island, and the southern part of Queens (heart goes out to them). But you would not believe the stuff people are saying up here!

Ok, power is out from 39th street down in manhattan (about 1/3 of the island). Yes, that is unfortunate. However, it is about 40 degrees here. Back in New Orleans when Isaac hit, we were sitting with no power for a week and it was sweltering hot! They have no idea how miserable it is when you try to sleep drenched in your own sweat. In addition, their food won't go bad as quickly because of the cool weather.

Now, I hear people say how this storm is worse than Katrina! That's hogwash. When I heard that, I gave them a dirty look. I sat in my apartment in the upper east side during Sandy and expected the power and gas to go out. Nothing happened! No street flooding occurred either. The worst thing was that everywhere was closed and the subway was not working (it's up now). There is no way that this is worse than Katrina, not a chance. Ok, I understand that the coastal areas got hit pretty bad, but that's given considering the storm surge. Oh, and if anyone was wondering, there was some looting in brooklynn close to the housing projects after the storm passed. Poor business owners couldn't do anything about it because of NYC's strict gun laws which practically prevent law abiding citizens from owning firearms. But that's another topic in and of itself.

Needless to say, I can't wait to return to the real America.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I wonder if all this rich people that had vacation homes along the shore will use their own line they kept on saying when we got hit in New Orleans

"those people are dumb, they need to relocate and start over somewhere else" I'm not saying, good that it happen to them. But maybe now they will get to understand what it feels to loose all you have to a storm. Then again a good % of wealth lives on that part of the country.

They need power but turned around 100 Alabama power line workers JUST because they were not part of the Union of Electrical workers .... (makes sense)

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    They need power but turned around 100 Alabama power line workers JUST because they were not part of the Union of Electrical workers .... (makes sense)
    I call ******** on that story . Non union utility crews respond to mutual aid requests all of the time . This storm is no different , except that its election time ...

http://www.kpho.com/story/19987981/ibew-says

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It is so bad they are giving away free gas, but send the non union workers back home. Top reason for a smaller federal government, ideas that start in California and New York end up in DC and forced upon all of us.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351988766.619694.jpg

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The whole 'Superstorm Sandy' label is ticking me off! It was a cat one! Not a Katrina! Being without power at 40F is not that bad. Being without power at 95F sucks.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Where are these hundreds of reports ? And the rebuttal came from the utilities themselves , not just the IBEW . Guys , the unions CANNOT turn the crews away . They do not have the authority .

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Where are these hundreds of reports ? And the rebuttal came from the utilities themselves , not just the IBEW . Guys , the unions CANNOT turn the crews away . They do not have the authority .

OK, no union activity delayed power restoration from "Superstorm" Sandy. It's not worth it.

I just hope the North East better prepares for future hurricanes.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom