Hypothetical question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    So in discussing concealed carry with the uninitiated I sometimes come across the argument/belief that carrying a gun is too inconvenient/uncomfortable and not worth the hassle, considering that the chances of being victimized aren't that great. And then you have the people that carry little bitty guns for the same reason, figuring the extra ease of carrying outweighs the lack of firepower.

It makes me think of a hypothetical question to probe the mentality of the armed citizen. If guns did not exist (for good guys or bad guys), would you carry a sword? If not, would you carry a knife or go unarmed?

I like to think of a sword as the big handgun and a knife as the small handgun, but obviously carrying a sword is much more inconvenient than carrying a large handgun. So the question is, if there were no guns, would you be willing to carry a sword for the great advantage it would give you over a knife wielding or unarmed opponent, despite the hassle?

I would carry a saber, personally. I think of this sometimes because I have always thought that if the government decided to ban all guns I would start carrying a sword as a protest. Maybe call the protest group "next best thing."

Zip7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2007
    I usually stay out of these discussions because I feel like my point of view can't apply to everyone. I am approximately the size of an NFL linebacker and when I am out walking around bad people don't jack with me. I don't carry at all - I do have a gun in my vehicle.

I also think that regardless of your physical size, every person projects some version of what they think about themselves. This can be demonstrated around animals. People that feel vulnerable do appear vulnerable to animals, and other people who project a "don't mess with me" attitude - this is picked up on by animals as well.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    For me, personally, it's a trade off of comfort and security. Most times, I carry a Kahr MK9 Elite. Small, comfortable, but still packs a 9mm. That's about as small as i will go. If I'm going out to, say, down town New Orleans, I will usually carry my compact 45.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    A warhammer! A huge frickin' warhammer, like that silent, long-haired, roided-out-Bruce-****inson-lookin' bad guy carried in Conan the Barbarian.

Angie ****inson.
    Emily ****inson.
    I can't believe it won't allow the last name ****inson!

Let's try Cockinson.

Yep, that worked. STOOPID!

OK, the reference was to the guy having the same general long-haired appearance of Iron Maiden lead singer Bruce D!ckinson, but hugely muscled. The profanity blocker is just recockulous.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Big is not always an advantage. I've come across some short punks who have a real problem with big guys. I guess it would make them feel tough to have a big guy at their mercy. If they put a .38 in your face (or your kid's) it doesn't really matter how big you are. It would make them happy to see you grovel. SO, carry a gun. Any gun. A .380 is enough to give you a fighting chance....

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Oh yeah Paul(pangris) is bigger than ten men, drinks a railway car full of beer with each sitting, can kill an Ox with his mind, invented the AR15, perfected the internet, can touch MC Hammer, walks on water, can bend the travel of bullets with his mojo, and has inseminated 4 out of 5 chinese women last year who had children despite his never having left the USA during that time period.

Dave

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Oh yeah Paul(pangris) is bigger than ten men, drinks a railway car full of beer with each sitting, can kill an Ox with his mind, invented the AR15, perfected the internet, can touch MC Hammer, walks on water, can bend the travel of bullets with his mojo, and has inseminated 4 out of 5 chinese women last year who had children despite his never having left the USA during that time period.

Dave

You left out eats three desserts.

:D

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA

Dave

:eek3:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom