I blame my Grandfather for my sickness......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I've always wondered what brought this group of men together, or what was the common thread (if there ever was one to begin with) that had them sit together for the photo. Like my Grandfather, you can see that a couple of the other men appear to be immigrants. The 1st row, guy in the middle looks as though he just stepped off of the boat. The 2 flanking him look to be from somewhere other than the US or Mexico. Others look Mexican & US born. It's a neat picture, and I wish I knew what they all had in common. I lost my Grandfather when I was quite young, so I doubt that I'll ever know.

Last edited:

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Interesting pic and history. One of my Mom's grandfathers left Germany in the late 1880s and emigrated to Mexico to become a prospector in Sonora and the Arizona Territory. I know he and his partner had problems with Apaches and IIRC there was some mention of Pancho Villa also--I'll have to ask my Mom about that. He married a Mexican lady, had my grandfather, etc. In the 1880s there were a lot of Europeans coming to Mexico....France had a lot to do with Mexico's military back then. Maybe some of them or their offspring were in the pic? Mexico has a great history and it is truly sad to see it in the mess its in now....Even so, its still my favorite place to visit on the cheap!! Have some great memories of going into Sonora with my grandparents and meeting their lifelong friends and family.

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    Cool picture and nice bit of history to go with it. I can't lie, I have a picture of General Pershing in my den. Poncho Villa was his famed arch enemy.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've always felt as though I was born in the wrong era.

You, too?

As a kid I dreamt/had visions of dragon-headed ships in shallow, placid rivers with heavy fog.

I also stop cold at images of old London. Just saw Sherlock Holmes and I was immediately mesmerized as if I had been there at that time.

Same with the 1960's but here as an adult.

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    man, this is super cooool ! I love these old stories. How many of us know our ancestry past our grandparents? Sad !!! How many of us put flowers on our grandparents graves? Two generations pass and it's like you never existed..... the only trace of your existence is a tombstone....strangers all.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Nice picture....Say ? The guy nealing on the bottom left....Is that a jug of Jaeger he's holding.???

ccc...

That was very observant of you. I wasn't going to mention anything about it. However, since you pointed it out, it is indeed a Jager Dispenser, circa 1897. Mine is a tad more updated, but both dispense your favorite libation. Why since you pointed it out, are you interested in buying mine????????

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Hahaha...No man...I gave it up in 92''....

That was very observant of you. I wasn't going to mention anything about it. However, since you pointed it out, it is indeed a Jager Dispenser, circa 1897. Mine is a tad more updated, but both dispense your favorite libation. Why since you pointed it out, are you interested in buying mine????????

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    very cool photo, they seem to be grouped in order of Moustache. I had some ancestors that supposedly sold moonshine to Bonnie & Clyde, but no photos to back it up that I'm aware of.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    man, this is super cooool ! I love these old stories. How many of us know our ancestry past our grandparents? Sad !!! How many of us put flowers on our grandparents graves? Two generations pass and it's like you never existed..... the only trace of your existence is a tombstone....strangers all.
    I do, its a passion of mine. To many people are letting their family history go.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Cool picture and nice bit of history to go with it. I can't lie, I have a picture of General Pershing in my den. Poncho Villa was his famed arch enemy.

You should print the picture of Pancho and frame it aside of General Pershing. This picture is not circulated, but rather a picture that has been in the family. You'll not find it in any books or historic documents. The two side by side would look nice.

EJAIII

Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You know...I tend to admire any and every man who takes up arms for what he preceives to be a "just cause". There are times where I question the cause itself, but never do I think any less of the individual. All men who take up arms and go into battle carry with them the very same conviction; that what they are fighting for is worth dying for

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    You know...I tend to admire any and every man who takes up arms for what he preceives to be a "just cause". There are times where I question the cause itself, but never do I think any less of the individual. All men who take up arms and go into battle carry with them the very same conviction; that what they are fighting for is worth dying for

Me and my dad were talking about this last night, namely the revolutions that have happened over the past year. Sure, the things they were fighting for may not be what I consider a good cause, but the fact that they had the testicular fortitude to stand up and tell the ruling regime to GTFO really strikes me as praise-worthy.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Interesting pic and history. One of my Mom's grandfathers left Germany in the late 1880s and emigrated to Mexico to become a prospector in Sonora and the Arizona Territory. I know he and his partner had problems with Apaches and IIRC there was some mention of Pancho Villa also--I'll have to ask my Mom about that. He married a Mexican lady, had my grandfather, etc. In the 1880s there were a lot of Europeans coming to Mexico....France had a lot to do with Mexico's military back then. Maybe some of them or their offspring were in the pic? Mexico has a great history and it is truly sad to see it in the mess its in now....Even so, its still my favorite place to visit on the cheap!! Have some great memories of going into Sonora with my grandparents and meeting their lifelong friends and family.

A lot of die-hard Confederates went to Mexico, also. There was a name for them.

My ancestors for the most part were sedentary New Englanders. My dad's folks moved to Western Connecticut in 1640 and stayed there. My mom's to Central Massachusetts sixty years later. I think I'm 12th generation, but I have grandchildren who would be 14th.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom