I Don't Like My Sig.....But

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I'm mandated to carry a Sig Sauer in the .40 variety. Last week I turned 20k through the weapon (yes I count my rounds fired). At appx 4k rounds I replaced the recoil spring. The slide was failing to return to battery after each shot and to he hand tapped into battery. Other then this routine maintenance I have yet to have a FTF or
    FTE in 20k rounds. Pretty impressive I think. Having said that, If given the choice i would prefer to shoot a
    Glock. Just thought I would pass this along as I enjoy hearing firearm longevity stories.

local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    You're WAY overdue to have the trigger bar spring replaced. Decocker spring too, if it's not a DAK.

Don't you guys have somebody in your office who handles armorer issues? This assumes you're not with the FBI; they're getting to the point where you have to send your iron back to Quantico when it needs cleaning...:rolleyes:

If not, I would contact the "home office" about getting those springs replaced. Sig advises to replace them every 5K rounds in a duty weapon.

Unfortunately I don't see preventative maint being performed. I take it upon myself to replace the recoil spring every4-5k for my peace of mind. Ill inquire as to when/if the other springs will be replaced at a specified interval.

Cocked

Feeling Cocky
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I shot my 229 until the finish started chipping in the rails of the frame. Untold rounds sent through it as I bought it used as a police trade back in the late 90's, shot a few thousand rounds per year for about 8 years. Never had a malfunction. I sent it to sig to take advantage of a deal on some siglight sights and a new set of springs towards the end of my ownership of the gun. They told me nothing could be done about the frame finish. I did not like the feel of the gritty action so I sold it. FWIW

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    Why is that? Steve has always been a big proponent of that pistol and I'd assume he knows what he is talking about.

I don't know steve, and am not challenging him in anyway, just stating my opinion from the thousands of them that we carry as an agency from an armorer's point of view.

In 9mm they have had far less issues with them. In .40 we (agency) have had a lot of issues with them. FTF - mainly firing pin rusting in place over time. Parts are "marine coated" - a fancy name for painted. grit gets into the firing pin channel and wears the finish off. If you carry, moisture gets in there and starts to corrode. Over time the firing pin will freeze in place. You can remove these parts and clean them, however you are supposed to replace the roll pins with new ones every time per HK. If not they will creep on you. Worst gun I've carried in my career. If you start getting soft primer strikes, I'd check that area first. We have the LEM model P2000. The extended floorplates on the mags also will crack and break on you if you let them drop on hard surfaces a lot.

My choices would be the USPc, Glock 22/23 or sig as well for carry, with the glock being my number 1 choice.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I don't know steve, and am not challenging him in anyway, just stating my opinion from the thousands of them that we carry as an agency from an armorer's point of view.

In 9mm they have had far less issues with them. In .40 we (agency) have had a lot of issues with them. FTF - mainly firing pin rusting in place over time. Parts are "marine coated" - a fancy name for painted. grit gets into the firing pin channel and wears the finish off. If you carry, moisture gets in there and starts to corrode. Over time the firing pin will freeze in place. You can remove these parts and clean them, however you are supposed to replace the roll pins with new ones every time per HK. If not they will creep on you. Worst gun I've carried in my career. If you start getting soft primer strikes, I'd check that area first. We have the LEM model P2000. The extended floorplates on the mags also will crack and break on you if you let them drop on hard surfaces a lot.

My choices would be the USPc, Glock 22/23 or sig as well for carry, with the glock being my number 1 choice.

VERY interesting-- thanks for sharing.

Which agency, if you don't mind my asking? (Too lazy to look up who carries what right now.)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You must work for the Border Patrol. I recently became aware of some of the issues you guys have been having. But the firing pin rusting is news; I'd been told it was the trigger bar spring plunger that was rusting (it is now a stainless part).

The .40s have cracked a few slides, up front where the recoil spring terminated under the muzzle. Personally, I think it is that 155gr load you guys are using; but it still shouldn't be happening.

You mentioned the USPc as "much better gun". Dunno how you come to that conclusion, as they are quite similar. The USPc slide is no thicker than the P2000 in the area that was cracking... and the FFDO guys haven't had any trouble with their .40 caliber USP Compacts in, what now... ten years? Ditto Washington State Patrol, Washington State Corrections, and a host of other agencies that used the .40 caliber USPc and/or P2000 for many years- some of which are still using it. For that matter, the early USP Compacts were known to break firing pins regularly if the pistol was dry-fired a lot. A design change cured that.

And as for roll pins walking out, and rust in general... guess you never carried a Sig, eh?

Still, the problems the Border Patrol has experienced just proves that no brand is perfect. Yet, they recently signed a contract with HK for a bunch more; enough to make HK move .40 caliber P2000 production over here. But I admit to being a bit shaken when I saw those photos of the slide cracks.

You prefer Glock? Better make sure its a pre-2010 example...;)

This is Steve, lol

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Steve, If I am not mistaken the BP switched from the 155gr. to the 180gr. round and I was told they shoot quite a bit.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Was that a recent conversation? I was told earlier this year than they were going to go with the 180gr. and they had plenty of the 155gr. on hand at that time.
    Maybe the "Agent" in this thread can enlighten us.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Wonder if they will keep them long ???

I know Alabama ATF had so many issues with their 226's over the last year that they are doing the switch to G22 & G27 in January. Took a class with two of their SA one being their "DTA" and he was really showing some hate on them enough for him to switch to his personal M&P to finish up

From the gear makers I spoke with my friends at G-code they said dealing with Sigs is a pain since apparently there was a change in the frame size that is minimal to not notice but enough to make guns not fit in a holster.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Agencies and government contracts are dumping SIG left and right. SIG sucks, in my personal experience, and based on what I have read. I am glad, however, that OP has found a gem. Not EVERY SIG sucks, just every other one, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom