I have acess to 1" thick armour plate. About three full sheets to build targets with.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    I am looking for ideas to build targets. I already have some steel targets and bowling pins, but nothing like this. I have a torch set, but I use propane and oxygen to cut (don't think it will be hot enough). And I have a mig welder. Shoot me some ideas and some pics. When finished maybe we could have a get together and slap some steel. I have a little land that we could posssibly shoot at.:D;) Armor/Armour?

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Don't build anything too big if it is 1" thick or you are not going to move it vey easily. I have a 1/2" thick USPSA with a center flapper and hostage flapper that weighs 75#. So I would assume that setup would be double with the material you have. You would almost have to build in place. Any thing you do build should last a life time though. I posted some sites for buying steel targets not too long ago. You can see what they sell and get yourself some ideas.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Dusty, if that armour plate is anything like what you brought out to Matt's then remember what .223 and .308 did to it. Thickness doesn't matter if the steel is too soft. For pistol you can use the armour plate and still go half as thick to save on weight. For rifle targets I'd try to get some 3/8" or 1/2" AR400 or AR500 plate. I have some 1/2" AR500 that has been shot up a good bit with .300win mag at 100yds that is still straight and dent-less.

If you can drill some holes in the stuff, then I use 24" strips of barite/cement hose and bolt that to the back of the steel, wrap it around the frame, and secure it to itself with bailing wire. The hose (which I'm sure you're WELL familiar with) will take being shot a couple dozen times and still hold a good bit of weight. I still have 20+ feet of some 6" hose at the house if you want some. I find I only need a 3-4" strip for a 20lbs plate.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    If it truly is armor plate, ie ar 400 or 500, then do not cut it with a torch. The heat will ruin the heat treat and turn it back into mild steel. It needs to be cut with a aqua jet machine (no heat) or a very large plasma cutter that can easily cut through thicker than 1" without leaving to much of a heat affected zone.

As ritten said, you realy dont want to weld on it either, as it will ruin the heat treat. Punch/drill holes and attach with chains or bolts.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Great info, but I am thinking about passing on the steel (just too damn heavy) and just selling the Mustang I was going to trade to the guy for the steel and buying some ar400 or ar500 steel if I can find any possibly already cut out. Thanks for the info.

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    IMGP0214.jpgIMGP0215.jpgtheres nothing wrong with that steel:rolleyes:. (I just wouldn't shoot anything at close range at it.):mamoru:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Might want to check out Wideners Reloading Supply, they have pre cut ar500 and ar400 plates in various shapes and sizes, aqua jet cut for sale.

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    There is an water jet company here in BR if you change your mind and are over this way. I used them to cut a 18" thick piece of granite so 1" of AR500 is no problem. I can look their contact info up if interested - pm me if needed.

hotshotmatt

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    baton rouge
    i have a plasma cutter from when i worked for detention contractor in the fab shop . i know its a good drive to denham but you could use it

dustyk70

Shamed Liberty
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Leesville, La./ Morocco
    Thanks Matt I'll keep that in mind, but I talked to my neighbor and he said the sheets weigh about 500# each... Too much steel for me to haul just down the road. I think I'll just buy some thinner steel so I can move it around. Just think even a 12" by 12" by 1" thick plate would be about 75#'s + or -.

hotshotmatt

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    baton rouge
    yeah makes sence . but if u find a place to set them permently id have no problem letting u take it there to use it . just helping a fellow shooter out .

hotshotmatt

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    baton rouge
    yeah it was actually a guy ive known since the 3rd grade . the cops have my bike now . its striped . but his cripple friend went around bragging they stole a bike and thats how they got caught. plus i had also found the bike on his place after i did a quick recon

Top Bottom