I JUST SHOT SOMEBODY

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If my opinion matters.
    Male sure there is only your side of the story to tell .
    Call 911 and say an intruder was shot and you were scared and had to defend yourself .

Ask for medical for yourself and the other person.
    Notify the call taker that you are securing the weapon you used and that its safe for them to enter and you will comply with all requests safety wise.
    Go to the ER in the ambulance.
    Any witness will perceive the guy in the ambulance as the victim and give testimony towards that end.

Don't say ****.

Make calls to anyone you need to in the ambulance as you will still have your phone.
    In the back of the unit handcuffed you may not .

Get whoever you called to engage support teams .. Let them know where you are headed as far as ED and what agency is involved for the investigation.

Again. Repeat after me. I was scared for my life.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Call 9-11 tell them you feared for your life and shot a intruder. And of course name and address. Then dont say nuttin until you consult a attorney.
    In this case the cops are not your friends and will lie to you to get info from you.

It's nuanced, but I wouldn't use the word fear. Fears can be irrational. That's why the word fear isn't used in the language of LA self-defense law, or any other state's self-defense law that I know of.

"...one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger."

Use the word "believe." It's a stronger word in the eyes of the law.

No need to give the other side anything at all to chip away at, no matter how trivial it may seem.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    Here's a hypothetical scenario for all of us, but possibly beating a dead horse.
    An intruder breaks in (or worse) and the True American acts within his/her Rights and smokes the POS.

What do you do now?
    Call the police then sit and wait?
    Call 911. Simply say that “someone has been shot, and hang up”. 911 will call back, but do not answer. Do not say “anything for 4 to 5 days and get an attorney”. If you say anything and remember details later, you will be accused of being unreliable and changing your alibi. Expect $50,000 of legal fees defending yourself throughout a Grand Jury Investion.

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    It's nuanced, but I wouldn't use the word fear. Fears can be irrational. That's why the word fear isn't used in the language of LA self-defense law, or any other state's self-defense law that I know of.

"...one who reasonably believes that he is in imminent danger of losing his life or receiving great bodily harm and that the killing is necessary to save himself from that danger."

Use the word "believe." It's a stronger word in the eyes of the law.

No need to give the other side anything at all to chip away at, no matter how trivial it may seem.
    Better yet is, You “felt” that your life was in imminent danger.

theonlytalkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2023
    Louisiana
    Say it with me;

Operator: 911, what is your emergency?

An intruder has been shot in my home.
    Please send an ambulance.
    My name is _____
    My address is ______
    My phone number is _____
    I am wearing _____
    I will be (give location where you will be waiting for the police)
    At this time, I wish to invoke my 5th amendment right to remain silent - it is important you say it exactly like that because your silence can now be used against you. - and my 6th amendment right to an attorney.

DO NOT make any more statements.

Operator: did you shoot them or who shot them?
    You: under the advise of council, I do not wish to make any more statements at this time.
    Operator: did they have a gun? What happened?
    You: under the advise of council, I do not wish to make any more statements at this time.

You: I need to hang up so I can call my attorney.

Hang up the phone and call an attorney or whatever gun insurance you have.

When the uniforms get there, tell them exactly what your legal council told you told you to do. At maximum, tell them what you told the dispatcher: name, etc, then, I wish to invoke my 5th amendment right to remain silent, my 6th amendment right to an attorney. You will probably need to tell them where the gun is. Don't put it back in the safe! Keep it near you, but not in your hands. It might also be a good idea to tell them, I also wish to invoke my 4th amendment right against searches and seizures.

DO NOT say anything else.

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    This is what I recall from the USCCA class that they teach:
    1. Call 911 and say “there has been a shooting at (address) and hang up. Do not answer a call back.
    2. Call the USCCA number on your card and get instructions. A lawyer will speak to you. (Obviously, call whatever defense insurance you have. EVERYONE should have defense insurance!)
    3. Do not have the firearm on your person when police arrive. If the attorney tells you to explain the “fear for life,” say only that. Cooperate with identification, etc. only.
    4. Ask to go to the hospital to be checked out and advise that you will cooperate with the investigation after being evaluated.

Dranrab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2015
    Metairie
    Better yet is, You “felt” that your life was in imminent danger.
    I hope that was intended as humor. I would never make such a critical decision based off of feelings. Feelings, like fears, can be irrational. Use the word believed. The law uses that word for a reason.

Last edited:

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    When the police show up do this

1728661300858.gif

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I would stick with "feared for my life" legal definition (to feel that one/someone is in danger of dying or being killed). Things not to say, ive trained for this all of my life, i had a preminition, it was deja vue, and i didnt know the gun was loaded.

Daves94vert

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Kenner
    Call 911 and tell them you shot an intruder. Describe yourself and anyone else in the house so the cops can discern who the good guys are from the bad guys. To make it look better for your case you can administer cpr to the intruder making sure they’re unarmed. Or clear your weapon and sit outside with your family til the police arrive. Call your attorney for advice. Fully cooperate with the police but let them know you’ll give a statement after your attorney arrives. You’re too shaken up to talk right now

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010

I have had this conversation with a big city retired police sergeant. He said if you refuse to talk to the police that will think you are hiding something and you will not go home that night. I think it depends on the situation and whether you are up to it or not. Of course be brief and factual.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I saw someone said call your lawyer first. Not a smart move if the perp might be bleeding out, and you're trying to wake up Sheisty McScumsucker before calling emergency services. No matter what you think of the police and their intentions, calling 911 first is the best CYA. Someone else said hang up after blurting a brief statement. How about stay on the line, describing what you're wearing, where you're waiting, where the perp is, where the perp's weapon is, what the perp's condition appears to be, and continuing to communicate until officers are on scene and safely approach without mistakenly wasting you? I promise that responding officers will be wearing dispatch out asking for that kind of crap, and some blurted "I shot someone" with no further details sounds like a possible ambush set-up. A steady, clear stream of useful details from a cooperative caller (not necessarily reporting their actions on a recorded line, just giving a clearer picture of what the officers will be approaching) will go a long way to lowering the amperage. Focusing on those responses may help focus your thoughts as well, bringing you down a few notches on the stress meter. Once they're present, and the scene is secured (perp being tended if still alive, weapons on scene secured), you can give the brief version with basic details, and then tell them you want to speak to an attorney before you give a detailed statement later. It's the same thing they do when involved in a shooting, they give a basic version, then have a rest period before they have to give their fully detailed version. It's known that the details will not all come through right away, their memory will be hampered, and 24-48 hours is usually the timeframe allowed before the detailed interview takes place to establish all the facts with a clearer mind. They can arrange counsel and have them present when making their complete statement. Expecting the same thing they're entitled to after a traumatic event isn't unreasonable. If you've just un-alived someone, they're not going to be looking for a long session in your living room, they'll be asking you to come give a taped statement at the station, but depending on what the investigators see and learn at the scene, they may feel comfortable enough with the details to set that for later.

As for the weapon, there should be no reason for them to take any weapon not used in the incident. As for searching, if an intruder made it into your house, I would think you'd let them do a protective sweep for sure, just to make certain no one else is lurking in some closet, having not been able to get out when the SHTF. If they want to search beyond looking for lurking perps, they'll ask for a warrant, and probably get one if the perp was shot in your residence, which is now a crime scene.

As for calling an attorney, most people this kind of thing will happen to won't have any idea who to call, as most people in this country still make it through life without needing a criminal lawyer. Aside from work issues, I've only needed a lawyer for one thing in my adult life, having to do with tutorship involving my son. I know a lawyer or two to call for a reference for a criminal lawyer, and have PBA coverage for on-duty issues, but the whole thing about "law abiding citizen kills intruder" is that the citizen has been law abiding, and likely will be at a loss as to where to turn in the immediate aftermath.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    And if your wife and kids are in the home , make sure they keep quiet . People get excited and blurt out things that may not be exactly true or accurate ,

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I can't be the only one here without a "go to" lawyer on speed dial. I've only needed a lawyer once in my lifetime so far, for my divorce about 29 years ago. I do know two retired lawyers as acquaintances but I'm not about to call them at 0230. None on retainer. But I have learned a thing or two from this thread.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Nobody mentioned clearing your browser and search history? throwing all the gun mags and books in the back of the shed?

I was curious about the 'go to the hospital by ambulance' idea. That means you're leaving the cops in your house to search it top to bottom? Not that I don't trust local LEO... but there are good and bad cops, not to mention most of the federal agents i've met have been fairly anti - 2A.

Top Bottom