I made a PDF for rifle practice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Print this out, bring it to the range (preferably with a timer) and you can have a set of standards to practice regularly.

These are all basic, and do not call for moving while shooting, but you can add that into the mix to make it more challenging.

This PDF is for rifle standards- I will create one for pistol work soon.

I am open to criticism or suggestions.

Rifle Standards

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Recon95G

Teacher and Student
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    North LA
    It looks alot like the CSAT Standards you received from the Trinity Tactical Institute Tactical Rifle Course. I'm flattered you used my 200 and 300 yard drills. The BUIS transition is a nice touch though, but I'm not sure how the 7/25 and 7/50 drills work without a back stop on the close in targets; could you explain?

I see you liked the pvt class with Joe, Good Stuff.

RT

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The course had ten, IIRC. I added a bunch more and changed the times on some and took out the allowed misses. There were no 200 and 300 yd drills at the course, unless I am forgetting something- we just did some routine slow shooting on the Assault Deck. I added those in on my own. Basically, the course made me realize that I need to have a set of stuff that I work on regularly in a controlled fashion with a timer, and I sat down and decided what I would like to do and some of the ones from the course were ones I would like to do.

Anyway, out of 21 maneuvers that I want to make regular practice, 6 are ones we did there, that seemed worth leaving alone. I did not know you wanted the long explanation- I thought you were simply wondering if I was pushing part of some system, which I am not. The point is, this is simply what I want to start doing, and I figured others might appreciate a form they could print out and put in their range bag with their targets.

I had not quite figured out how to do those scrambles, yet. I was going to ask Joe, because it seems like something important enough to find a way to do.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I see you liked the pvt class with Joe, Good Stuff.

RT

Yeah, he sounds like he would be willing to work with me regularly. I want to get even more serious about training. I have always gone to the classes that I could afford (wish the matches weren't during church!), but when I am at the range I have always just worked on whatever I felt like doing that day, and I have never had any specific marksmanship training from someone I trust before, so I was limited by what I was able to figure out and read on the net. I would like to help train others some day- the whole 'nation of rifleman' thing. I am excited about the possibility of getting with Joe semi-regularly; that is the best way I can think of to really get better, besides good old fashioned range time (which I get lots of) and dry-fire (which I need to buckle down and do more of).

I don't claim to be some fantastic shooter- I just claim to want to be, and am willing to put work into getting there- I just need help. :D

Recon95G

Teacher and Student
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    North LA
    The course had ten, IIRC. I added a bunch more and changed the times on some and took out the allowed misses. There were no 200 and 300 yd drills at the course, unless I am forgetting something- we just did some routine slow shooting on the Assault Deck. I added those in on my own.

I had not quite figured out how to do those scrambles, yet. I was going to ask Joe, because it seems like something important enough to find a way to do.

They are good things to work on. I just wanted Paul Howe to get the credit he deserves for coming up with the system. The 200 and 300 shooting is all part of it we just did not run it the same way. I changed it up a bit to make it fun for all. You had the advantage with that 3x magnifier so we could not run head to head.

I have some scramble drills that I want to run in the Oct school. It was just too hot to do in the July class. I did not know if you were shooting yours static or running to position in the 7/25 and 7/50.

You are right Joe is the best all around shooter I have ever known. He can teach you a lot.

RT

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Yeah, I was just checking the forum real quick as I was getting dressed this morning, or I could have given a longer explanation- sorry about any confusion.

It didn't occur to me that it was really a unique system- it all seems like pretty straight forward stuff. The only thing I did that weekend that I wasn't already doing was the Failure to stop drill with my rifle, I had only been doing it with my pistol.

For the record, though (and correct me if I am wrong, I wrote these down from memory after the course), here is Paul's standards that I noted:

7yds: 1 shot/1 target- 1 sec
    7yds: 2 shot2/1 target- 1.5 sec
    7yds: 5 shots COM, 1 shot CNS/1 target- 3 sec
    7yds: 2 shots/2 targets- 3 sec
    7yds: 1 shot rifle, 1 shot pistol/1 target- 3.25 sec
    25yds: 5 shots/1 target- 8 sec STANDING
    50yds: 5 shots/1 target- 20 sec KNEELING (1 miss allowed)
    75yds: 5 shots/1 target- 20 sec KNEELING (1 miss allowed)
    100yds: 5 shots/1 target- 20 sec PRONE (1 miss allowed)

Last edited:

Recon95G

Teacher and Student
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    North LA
    Yeah, I was just checking the forum real quick as I was getting dressed this morning, or I could have given a longer explanation- sorry about any confusion.

It didn't occur to me that it was really a unique system- it all seems like pretty straight forward stuff.

For the record, though (and correct me if I am wrong, I wrote these down from memory after the course), here is Paul's standards that I noted:

7yds: 1 shot/1 target- 1 sec
    7yds: 2 shot2/1 target- 1.5 sec
    7yds: 5 shots COM, 1 shot CNS/1 target- 3 sec
    7yds: 2 shots/2 targets- 3 sec
    7yds: 1 shot rifle, 1 shot pistol/1 target- 3.25 sec
    25yds: 5 shots/1 target- 8 sec STANDING
    50yds: 5 shots/1 target- 20 sec KNEELING (1 miss allowed)
    75yds: 5 shots/1 target- 20 sec KNEELING (1 miss allowed)
    100yds: 5 shots/1 target- 20 sec PRONE (1 miss allowed)

It is just a basic set of standards to maintain as a min. and a good basic skill set to master. It gives you the basic skills needed to engage targets in any situation. Learn one way of doing things and tweak it to fit the situation you find yourself in. It is all part of a system, a simple method of training. It would not do you any good if we showed a bunch of drills that you can not practice on the most basic range or dry fire at home (Be Safe). I'm all about simple.:D

Oh, I finally got my 3x magnifier from Aim Point, it is like cheating.

RT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Hi all,

Another NW Louisiana shooter here. The rifle standards LAC posted would be a fairly good place for a new shooter to begin with. They were picked up by him from TTI and afford a good practice routine for a beginning shooter.Any school should begin with simple, basic set of standards that students can learn. All the higher end tactics come later. A student must be able to retain the basics before moving to a higher level. Simple aspects such as safety, weapons handling, and paying attention to the instructor. Some folks go into a new class with the mindset, "I'll see if this guy knows his stuff" mentality.

What people fail to understand is the instructors are teaching, "crawling" not "running" in a basic class. The instructors HAVE proven themselves, to THEIR instructors. They have the ability to look for weak skills, mistakes, and unsafe practices before something goes wrong.

A good foundation is the basis of more precision "tactics" WAY on down the road. A good instructor can weed out new shooter mistakes early on. Believe me, you don't want poor basic skills "burned" into the subconcious. That is where the really high speed skills shine.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Now who is this?

welkome.gif

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Ok, this thread was on my mind as I was taking a shower, and it was bothering me a bit. It sounds from reading this thread as if I was trying to steal someone else's work for my own glory or something. That was not the case, and I apologize for not putting more thought into my earlier reply to recon's post, but let me clear something up.

I try to attend all the training I can. I spend most of my time trying to be of service to the LA shooting community. It does not take much research to see that, but I am a member of several 2A organizations, have spent my own time money to become a volunteer RSO, volunteer to put on gun shows, publish an insane amount of info on the net about LA gun laws and resources, etc. I am not doing this to be cool, I am trying to take my responsibility as part of the militia seriously.

I took the time to make a PDF and publish it to the net to try and help other shooters. I figured there were people out there that wanted to be better shooters that could be helped by having a list to go off of when they got a chance to get in some valuable range time. Yes, it was the course at Trinity Tactical Institute that got me thinking about having timed standards to go off of, but I was not claiming to have invented the idea of having something like that. I doubt Mr. Howe claims to have invented the idea of shooting one target in one second, or doing a transition to pistol, or any of the rest of it. Anyone who thinks that anything on that list is someone's patented, special idea is thrown off, I think. This is all basic stuff, here, folks.

All any of us are trying to do, I hope, is be of service. I sat down and made the list of things I wanted to do. I did not set out to make a copy of anyone else's course. It so happened that about a third of my list matched those of the course, but that was not my goal. I was making a list for myself, and I published it to help others, not to show off how good a list I could think up. All that was in my mind was coming up with a good, basic routine, using just under 5 boxes of ammo, that someone could run through by themselves in an hour or less. I did not feel like I copied anyone else' idea, because that was not my intent. I do, however, greatly appreciate all the instructors out there who do this kind of thing and pass on their knowledge to others.

I posted it here to get advice and thoughts from other shooters- ideas on how to improve on it or expand it. Like the the title says- I made a PDF. I did not claim to have invented the idea of having a list of stuff to do. To be fair, 95% of the stuff I did at the course was stuff I already did each time I went to the range, but without a timer.

Anyway, I am probably putting too much thought into this, as usual, but I did not want the undertone out there that I was some BS artist that was just going around trying to look cool. I spend alot of time doing gun stuff, not only for myself (or I would not do most of the stuff I do), but to try to be helpful to others. Anyway, I will shut up now, I just had to put this out there, since it occurred to me while I was in the shower. You may now resume your regularly scheduled programming.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome LA Carry,

It is good to see that you are retaining the basic standards you learned from TTI. Good training leaves a deep impression on some. Others do it because it is "required". Practice up on those drills. Do them until you don't have to think about each one. You will know them by heart, and can perform on demand.

Remember, speed is the economy of motion.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I'm planning on running through them tomorrow afternoon. I wish I had a range in my backyard, so I could do them every evening. (Actually, I have the space and live where I legally could do that, but my neighbors would hate me, so I don't) :D

washam427

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    LAC-Don't forget about dry fire. You can actually do about 70% of your training dry-this saves money on ammo and lets you actually think about the evolution you're training on. I'm glad to see someone actually using the info taught out at TTI. See you around.

Top Bottom