I'll Take Your Wound Study and Raise you A Stopping Power vs. Killing Power Article!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    The penetration charts are good. Too bad they didn't do more 158 grain tests in .38 Special or .357 Mag. Also, no Speer Gold dot 230 grain in .45 ACP....

Looks like if you want to go .380 ACP, the the Remington Golden Saber would be a good choice.

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    I love asking my buddies... "Hey man, how come you only shoot bulk 115gr FMJ's out of your G17 at the range but carry 147gr GoldDot or PDX1 or Hydrashok in your Keltec that I never see leave your holster?"

"Dude, that **** is expensive, and my PF9 hurts my hand after 20rds!"

"Yeah, but I see your very careful and calculated practice attempts at quick follow-up shots and your hours spent trying to double-tap same-spot and shooting on the run drills... how are you going to do that **** when you load ammo that has twice the punch in a gun that weighs half as much as you practice with?"

"Dude, that **** is expensive!"

By looking at the numbers from the testing, and considering I pretty much only shoot/carry 9mm, it's going to be Walmart bulk JHP's forever and ever and ever, and practice, practice, practice. A center-mass double-tap with white-box JHP beats the hell out of a belly shot followed up by a clean high miss with GoldenSaber because it was too expensive to practice with. Life is a compromise, and I can't go to the range and fire off ammo at $1rd all afternoon until it just makes more sense to hire a full-time bodyguard. So I'll take my 13" of penetration and 1.6 expansion factor at .30cents per round and be happy. To each their own.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Good defensive ammo does not cost $1 a round. Overpriced gunstore ammo in 20rd glittery boxes does.

Winchester Ranger, Federal HST and Remington Golden Saber can all be found for around $25/50. Most of my practice does come in the form of cheap bulk ammo, but I'm certainly not afraid to shoot the good stuff due to price.

Robhic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Destrehan, LA
    The penetration charts are good. Too bad they didn't do more 158 grain tests in .38 Special or .357 Mag. Also, no Speer Gold dot 230 grain in .45 ACP....

They didn't have to. Why write down what everyone knows -- .357 and any .45 kicks major ass! Why be repetitive...? :D

Looks like if you want to go .380 ACP, the the Remington Golden Saber would be a good choice.

Any caliber Golden Saber is a good choice.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Says who? Corbon? It may penetrate more deeply but expand 100% of the time?

Well, let me put it this way, out of the five I fired, all expanded very well. Five out of five, at least to me, is 100%. If that's an underestimated "test", then so be it.

I could have fired more, but I really can't afford to waste that much gel and don't want to waste those expensive ammo.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Oh ok based on your own test, conducted on gel you poured, on a sample size of 5 you decided they expand uniformly 100% of the time? How is the Wealth Management Business? I ask because based on your scientific method and over reaching statement I wonder if your good at anything.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Oh ok based on your own test, conducted on gel you poured, on a sample size of 5 you decided they expand uniformly 100% of the time?

That's what I said. I also said if its insufficient, then so be it. I'm not a scientist.

How is the Wealth Management Business?

Nathaniel, I never said I am wealthy. I said I do odd jobs the keeps me independant. Lets stay on topic from here on out.

I ask because based on your scientific method and over reaching statement I wonder if your good at anything.

No, I'm not good at anything, Nathaniel. That's why I'm a bum and and do odd jobs.

Now, can we stay on topic from now on, or about the .380? Or do you have any more questions about my personal life?

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Who's Nathaniel? No at one point when you were called out for SSI Fraud you claimed you worked in Wealth Mangement.

I'm not answering any more questions unless it relates to the topic. You can believe I am fraudulent if you want; I do not really care. However, if you or anyone else has any more questions, I won't answer unless it relates to the topic.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Well, let me put it this way, out of the five I fired, all expanded very well. Five out of five, at least to me, is 100%. If that's an underestimated "test", then so be it.

I could have fired more, but I really can't afford to waste that much gel and don't want to waste those expensive ammo.

Where did you get the gel? I've always been curious about where to find it.

Top Bottom