Info Quest: Springfield Range Officer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    Good afternoon,
    I'm not in the immediate market for a 1911 but I have been keeping my eye open on several different models. A good friend of mine shoots an STI Ranger II and I know many here have expressed favor for STIs in general. In keeping with my looking, though, I also wanted to know people's thoughts on Springfield's newest 1911, the Range Officer: likes, dislikes, etc. Just trying to get info so that, when the time comes, I'll be able to make the best informed decision. Thanks all.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's a Mil-spec with a beaver tail and a bo-mar rear sight. It should, by all accounts, be a reliable peice. If I was limited to that price range, I would not have any qualms about picking one up, going off my previous Mil-spec experience.

I would still rather save another $300 and get another STI Trojan.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I think the range officer will be my first 1911. I figure I can put hundreds of rounds through her and mod it how I see fit.

I don't think I will need the features of higher priced 1911's. No way to know though.

What's CAN ithe RO group at 25 yards with good ammo?

Last edited:

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    I'm not sure... I haven't talked to enough people who've shot them or done enough homework to know just yet... Baldrik78? Any ideas?
    I read your other post, Bansheeman. From what I can tell thus far, the RO is pretty much entry level 1911... a blank canvas, if you will. I've shot a hi-end Kimber and my buddy's STI Ranger II and I'm having a hard time deciding. I shoot a 40 XDm and I'm a big SO supporter, so it's tough to think about breaking away from them... We'll see. You seem to be much closer to buying one than me, so good luck deciding.

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    ...I would still rather save another $300 and get another STI Trojan.

On a side note, Baldrik78, what, in your opinion, makes the Trojan such a good choice? Like I said, I have a buddy who shoots a Ranger II and I was just curious, as they seem to be in a similar price category.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    I'm not sure... I haven't talked to enough people who've shot them or done enough homework to know just yet... Baldrik78? Any ideas?
    I read your other post, Bansheeman. From what I can tell thus far, the RO is pretty much entry level 1911... a blank canvas, if you will. I've shot a hi-end Kimber and my buddy's STI Ranger II and I'm having a hard time deciding. I shoot a 40 XDm and I'm a big SO supporter, so it's tough to think about breaking away from them... We'll see. You seem to be much closer to buying one than me, so good luck deciding.

Actually, im a good ways from buying one. I went ahead and bought a glock for my CC class coming up next month and decided to wait till i get a new toy. Actually the gf decided for me :(

Only other one i shot was the Trophy Match. Very nice and smooth but i just dont feel i need a gun twice as expensive as the RO. A RO and trigger job would do be wonders. Plus i still need a holster, tons of ammo, probably aftermarket sights etc. It all adds up. But thats just me, sorry to ramble on in your thread.

Maybe you need to go shoot a few boxes through a Range Officer. If it isnt to your liking, i think you will be better off with a higher end model since you know what you like about them. Why settle for less when deep down, you will want something better in the near future. Unless you want that blank canvas and mod it to the mods you need. Perhaps check out the new E series coming out. They group very tight out the box and it looks like a good buy.

Last edited:

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    On a side note, Baldrik78, what, in your opinion, makes the Trojan such a good choice? Like I said, I have a buddy who shoots a Ranger II and I was just curious, as they seem to be in a similar price category.

As Pangris likes to say, it is the point of diminishing returns. You get a lot of the personal attention and features that you find on a semi-custom like Baer and Brown, but at the cost of a production gun.

tmfaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Lafayette
    Bansheeman, no rambling issues with me, i like the discourse; info's good. I am probably going to go with the RO when the time comes... That time will just be coming a little later than I'd like haha.

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Went to the local gun store today to maybe put my hands on a RO but of course, not a 1 in stock. I guess that's a good thing in terms of my wallet :)

Anyways, i just seen this video
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fw5-blpE3s[/ame]

1" at 25 yards? If that is true, consider me sold. That will be the 1911 for me. It would be exactly what i want. A blank canvas with adjustable sights that's already capable of bringing it out to 25+ yards. Plus i been reading a lot about customer service from different manufacturers and SA is #1.

It's hard to believe 1" at 25 yards because the trophy match is suppose to be 2"-2.5" at 25 yards according to my buddy. That's if i heard correctly.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Range Officer was on my short list before I found a Trojan at a steal, handled a few at a gun show and they seemed nice.

rhino74s

biker scout
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I just recently passed up a RO for the Loaded model.
    They are essentially the same gun but the Loaded has Trijicon night sights instead of the adjustable sights on the RO.
    I would consider the RO if you want the option of going into target shooting and the Loaded if you want an EDC.

jdmilleriii

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2007
    Rayville LA
    I bought a used one last week that a guy had purchased and brought back. I've only been able to put about 100 rounds through it. I is my first 1911 but I really love it. My Dad and I were comparing his Loaded Parkarized to it and the main diffrences are the sights and the Loaded has a full lenght guide rod. I really love the Range Officer so far but like I said this is my first 1911 and I'm still trying to figure all the quirks out to it. I am hoping that if it will quit raining I can to the range Thursday and run a couple of hundred rounds through it and see how it really performs.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I just recently passed up a RO for the Loaded model.
    They are essentially the same gun but the Loaded has Trijicon night sights instead of the adjustable sights on the RO.
    I would consider the RO if you want the option of going into target shooting and the Loaded if you want an EDC.

+1

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I was in the same place your are, except I needed night sights, and ambi safety.
    I was also looking for a springer that would fit in the rules for shooting single stack.. The Springfield Mc Operator does and I am now just trying to find one at the best price..

Top Bottom