Insanity / P90X

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Once I started this desk job I noticed how fast I fell out of shape. I never was in "great shape" but now I notice after a flight of stairs I'm breathing hard. I'm not fat, bout 5'11" and 170lbs., but I'm getting soft in the middle. I have Insanity and P90X so which one would be best for me to start back with? I tried the gym, but lost my workout partner and can't get motivated to go by myself. I don't want to run a marathon, but I would like to go run with my little boy outside and not feel like I'm going to pass out!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Once I started this desk job I noticed how fast I fell out of shape. I never was in "great shape" but now I notice after a flight of stairs I'm breathing hard. I'm not fat, bout 5'11" and 170lbs., but I'm getting soft in the middle. I have Insanity and P90X so which one would be best for me to start back with? I tried the gym, but lost my workout partner and can't get motivated to go by myself. I don't want to run a marathon, but I would like to go run with my little boy outside and not feel like I'm going to pass out!

If I were you, I'd go;
    P90x CLASSIC, focus on enough weight to be in the 8 Rep range.

Sell Insanity ;)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Right on!

Fitness in one sentence = Plant based diet, lifting weight and cardio 1-2 times a week.

P90x(CLASSIC) 1st Rounder’s can shred fat and add muscle, if the Diet is right!

It's hard to beat Gym/Cross fit Type workouts that are more heavy on the Muscle Addition and less on the Cardio when it comes to shredding fat.

New muscle is fats worst enemy.
    Couldn't agree more. P90x wasn't much of a cardio workout for me as I was already in good shape going into it, but I cannot say the same about insanity....that workout is insane! My only complaint about insanity is how it leaves weights out for the most part. I would recommend hitting weights at least three times a week as a supplement to insanity. I will post my fit test sheet when I get home :)

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    P90x and see if you can jog or do some sprints 2 days a week. The most important part is the diet though. No soft drinks. No chips or crap food, etc. I try to eat stuff that is as close to from the earth as possible.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    P90x and see if you can jog or do some sprints 2 days a week. The most important part is the diet though. No soft drinks. No chips or crap food, etc. I try to eat stuff that is as close to from the earth as possible.

Diet is huge. Go natural, cut out the red meat and the soft drinks, don't eat anything that comes in a wrapper, and you will see results.

I'm not giving up beer and coffee though!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La

I haven't drank soft drinks in years, but I do put down some beer on the weekends. As far as diet goes, I'm a coonass to the bone so it's a lot of rice and gravy! Other than that I mainly eat vegteables and meats. Not a fan of fast food and I do not eat sweets. I think my main problem is I'm sedentary after giving up a physical labor job.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Right on!

Fitness in one sentence = Plant based diet, lifting weight and cardio 1-2 times a week.

P90x(CLASSIC) 1st Rounder’s can shred fat and add muscle, if the Diet is right!

It's hard to beat Gym/Cross fit Type workouts that are more heavy on the Muscle Addition and less on the Cardio when it comes to shredding fat.

New muscle is fats worst enemy.

Plant based diet? I understand everyone believes they are correct in their assessment but saying plant base is best is a very bold statement. If it were true then every single tier 1 athlete would be a vegan...

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Diet is huge. Go natural, cut out the red meat and the soft drinks, don't eat anything that comes in a wrapper, and you will see results.

I'm not giving up beer and coffee though!
    No need to cut out coffee...it is great for you! Full of antioxidants and vitamins as well as a boost of caffeine that amps up y our metabolism. Also, red meat is not bad for you as long you eat it in moderation (just like everything else). Another thing that is great is the egg. Tons of protein and a great way to start the day!

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I think folks should focus more on the brain though.

Everyone KNOWS what to do, but it's doing it that is the problem.

This is called Knowledge without Wisdom.

Focus on knowing WHY Soda is bad, WHY Canned and Packaged Food is bad, WHY MSG and High Fructose Corn Syrup is BAD. Learn what it does to the body, learn why it's a toxin to the Human Digestive system.

Learn what the body is capable of doing when given the right fuel.

To me until you know all the why's you're destined to burn out. Wanting to look good shirtless isn't a long lasting Moto Tool.

Focus on wanting to live a Healthy life b/c being Healthy/Fit means living better. As in living without the pains that unhealthy living bring as in being overweight, clogging arteries, ineffective lungs not to mention MEN problems that occur later in life dealing with a lack in testosterone and prostate issues which can lead to depression and other mental struggles like a lack of self confidence and self esteem issues.

No one likes being unfit but it plagues our society. Folks pretend to be happy but they're not. This is where the mental anguish comes in and makes a camp. Fitness is freaking HARD! b/c Fitness isn't just knowing what to do but performing those actions.

It starts with mindset of wanting to live a long and healthy life and learning how to help the body do that.

I've watched tons of documentaries on Netflix Instant. You can tell when some are full of crap. However this one is probably one of the best one's I've seen. It combines a few of the latest in the past decade together and provides just mere facts. No selling points, just the truth of why we are where we are as far as the body is concerned.

Well worth the watch > http://www.hungryforchange.tv/

Netflix Users > http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Hungry_For_Change/70255134?locale=en-US

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Plant based diet? I understand everyone believes they are correct in their assessment but saying plant base is best is a very bold statement. If it were true then every single tier 1 athlete would be a vegan...
    Yeah I think a balance of both is better than just one or the other.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

I didn't say Vegan, I said Plant Based.

Also don't confuse Long-term Health & Fitness with short-term Athlete Fitness. HUGE Difference.

Athletes cannot maintain their build up diet for life, it's a short term plan.

Joel.L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    :p

It’s actually been a while but still have the set.

:mamoru: ok ...

Makes no sense. P90x is an entire full body workout program with support, a fan base and a diet plan.

You can't just go to Wal-mart pick up some Kettle bells, come home, start slinging them around and even come close to getting to the same fitness level as following P90x. Kettle bells are great and will whip your ass, but unless you have a good diet plan and are following someone's extensive program you're not going to get far...as usual.

Neither should be compared to each other really, they're simply not the same. :confused:

P90x = Complete Top to Bottom Program
    Kettle Bells = Weight

does not compute...
    pardon.gif

Anyway Insanity is off the chain. TORCHED is a good word for what you feel like afterwards.

It’s not a muscle builder but it will definitely get your muscles and cardio up to par.

I agree with the whole diet thing. If you do a structured kettle bell work out plan with a little research i think its more time conservative for the same or more bang of p90x. Kettlebell is just a tool.

But make no joke people. Tony Horton does so many pull ups during his workout it will crush the manliest of egos.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I didn't say Vegan, I said Plant Based.

Also don't confuse Long-term Health & Fitness with short-term Athlete Fitness. HUGE Difference.

Athletes cannot maintain their build up diet for life, it's a short term plan.

This, there is a huge difference between a professional athlete burning 7-10k Calories a day training for whatever their work is, and you, trying to lose your beer gut.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Why the hate of Meat/Red Meat. I have already stated my diet, I take a plate, fill 1/2 of it up with meat, 1/2 of it with vegetables. Last count was 33 lbs since Mid November. I am also going to crossfit 4-6 times a week.

If you are going to go with P90X, add some Deadlifts, back squats, cleans and presses before your workouts. Not all at once, pick one a day. It doesn't take a lot, rotate between a max effort, 3-3-3-3-3 80% effort, 10-10-10 60% effort, etc. We did the 10-10-10 60% back squat yesterday, and it SUCKS. I would rather go for a 1 rep max.

tudobem

Non-conformist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Hammond
    Did P90X a few years ago, only got through about 60 days of it but did see some results. Had been meaning to try it again and kept putting it off, so I ended up trying Power 90 instead. I was able to stick with this one for the full 90 days, as it is a bit milder and a little less time commitment. Saw great results, lost 30 lbs and put on some decent muscle mass. Meant to take a 2 week break and was then going to move on to the Power 90 Master Series before moving on to P90X again, but the 2 weeks turned into 2 months. I have maintained the same weight but lost a little muscle tone, so I am starting over again with Power 90.

Yes, Power 90 does get very monotonous quickly, especially Phase 1/2. That is when you know it is time to move on to Phase 3/4, which starts off a bit more challenging. Once it gets to be easier, it is time to move on to either the Master Series or P90X. At least you don't feel like you got hit by a truck at the start of the program since it starts off a little milder.

I have been following a sensible diet, but not 100% as per the nutrition plan with either of these programs. I like the approach recommended by Crossfit:

Meat & Vegetables
    Nuts & Seeds
    Some Fruit
    Little Starch
    No Sugar
    Sensible portions

I like the zone diet formula also, basically 2/3 plate vegetables and 1/3 protein (the size of your hand), with a little fat (usually olive oil drizzled on the veggies).

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have been following a sensible diet, but not 100% as per the nutrition plan with either of these programs. I like the approach recommended by Crossfit:

Meat & Vegetables
    Nuts & Seeds
    Some Fruit
    Little Starch
    No Sugar
    Sensible portions

I like the zone diet formula also, basically 2/3 plate vegetables and 1/3 protein (the size of your hand), with a little fat (usually olive oil drizzled on the veggies).

You complicated the diet, where are sensible portions listed? Eat as much as you can, if you are eating clean foods (even fatty meats, hello Mr. Ribeye and Pork Chop) you are going to be full before you over eat, especially if you are doing wods. Zone is too complicated, me thinks the zone recommendation was brought about from financial motive.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    And vegetable based? Sounds like soup.

I hate soup and love red meat.....so still not sure..... :confused:

Anyway Plant Based just means eating more plants(Veggies), Fruits and not having or needing to eat meat every day to fulfill the protein intake. It's just a diet philosophy proven over hundreds of years of historical diet studies.

Nothing wrong with red meat, but having it every day could be. There's leaner more healthy ways of getting protein is all that I'm saying. Plus it matters too on HOW the meat is prepared but that's another topic.

Top Bottom