iOS 8 and Apple Security says they can't comply with data request

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Anyone upgrade to the new software yet?

Some new features sound really cool.

Five iOS 8 features you'll love
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/16/tech/mobile/new-ios-8-features/

A Guide To What's Great In iOS 8
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrog...ide-to-whats-great-in-ios-8/?partner=yahootix

Also anyone use Tumblr? or Evernote?
    ----------------------------

Now check this out;
    Apple Has Ensured It Can't Hand Over iPhone Data to Law Enforcement
    In a move in tune with the contemporary current of privacy concerns,
    riding the wake of more than a year of mass surveillance revelations,
    Apple announced on September 18 that encryption technology on iOS 8
    would make it impossible for the company to hand over data from iPhones and iPads
    endowed with the operating system.

The privacy policy is such that the devices' passcodes are inaccessible to Apple itself,
    so the company couldn't hand over the data protected by these passcodes
    to government or law enforcement agencies.
    "It's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants
    for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8,"
    noted a statement on Apple's website.
    https://news.vice.com/article/apple...data-to-law-enforcement?utm_source=vicenewsfb

Last edited:

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I upgraded last night. Took 45 mins and 1GB of space, I like the new features with messenger but have not had time to play with much else

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I did my iPad a couple months ago. Won't do my iPhone anytime soon because I run that jailbroken.

Those are good links Hitman, thanks for all the info of new features. Do you use a Mac?

I've been happy with it so far. The predictive text is sort of creepy. 1Password is awesome I'm glad they finally have Safari integration. I use that on my mac's and ipad/iphone for all my passwords. Im looking forward to getting the 6 with touchID so I won't have to type that shite in anymore.

Did you guys see apples big addition on their website about privacy in leu of all the NSA ****? I was very proud!

Good read: https://www.apple.com/privacy/

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    No I only have a 4S that I'm borrowing from my in-law b/c my Samsung broke.

However I've been impressed enough that I'm likely going to get the 5s
    on the 30th of this month with new contract.

On pre-dictive text.....it already does that right? I mean I can type pretty freaking fast
    and just hit space when I see the word pop up. What is pre-dictive text if that's not it?

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I'm not too impressed with predictive text. It helps with longer words or to send something quick when you don't have time to really look at your screen, but I can type messages quicker without it. I'm probably going to end up just disabling it.

Wife hasn't updated yet so I can't say anything about family sharing, but I think it'll be pretty nice.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    No it didn't, it would only show up a correction if you typed something incorrectly. The predictive text (which droid has had for a LONG time) is new to the iPhone.

I currently have a 5 that I've had almost 2 years. I am grandfathered with unlimited data so I don't get upgrades but I'll probably pick up a 6 in a few months. Either try to find one slightly used on Craigslist for $500 or pay the $750 retail for the 64GB 6.

I'm excited for Handoff with mac and iOS 8. I use messages on my iMac and Macbook Air in class. Basically anything that's iMessage comes to my iPhone, iPad, iMac and laptop, so I can text from my laptop and it all stays synced. Now with handoff SMS will be synced as well not just iMessage. And phone calls will show as incoming on your mac so you can decide whether or not to take them. Great for students or anyone who works on a computer most of the day. Lets me stay in contact without constantly pulling my phone out.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not too impressed with predictive text. It helps with longer words or to send something quick when you don't have time to really look at your screen, but I can type messages quicker without it. I'm probably going to end up just disabling it.

Wife hasn't updated yet so I can't say anything about family sharing, but I think it'll be pretty nice.

If you don't have something positive to say about Apple keep it to yourself. :D

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I like it so far. Still fooling around with some of the new features, but so far so good.....

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Timer on the camera is nice.

I love the new Details button in Messages. Already blocked a couple of aggravating group messages, too.

Overall everything just seems a little bit smoother. The keyboard kind of freaked out on me earlier today, but nothing big.

Can't wait to see what developers come out with.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Timer on the camera is nice.

I love the new Details button in Messages. Already blocked a couple of aggravating group messages, too.

Overall everything just seems a little bit smoother. The keyboard kind of freaked out on me earlier today, but nothing big.

Can't wait to see what developers come out with.

LOL! Dude I was reading your post like man he had a complete turn-around lol

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Apple Has Ensured It Can't Hand Over iPhone Data to Law Enforcement

In a move in tune with the contemporary current of privacy concerns,
    riding the wake of more than a year of mass surveillance revelations,
    Apple announced on September 18 that encryption technology on iOS 8
    would make it impossible for the company to hand over data
    from iPhones and iPads
    endowed with the operating system.

The privacy policy is such that the devices' passcodes are inaccessible to Apple itself,
    so the company couldn't hand over the data protected by these passcodes
    to government or law enforcement agencies.

"It's not technically feasible for us to respond to government warrants
    for the extraction of this data from devices in their possession running iOS 8,"
    noted a statement on Apple's website.
    https://news.vice.com/article/apple...data-to-law-enforcement?utm_source=vicenewsfb

Remember, this doesn't apply to the Cloud! or any Cloud storage on any device for that matter.

/

Last edited:

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Is this something new? I upgraded to the 5s last year and have unlimited data as well. Att I assume?

I have verizon. I haven't had an upgrade in 4 years, been going month to month. If I upgrade I have to renew contract and unlimited isn't offered so I would have to pick a tiered data plan.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I am grandfathered with unlimited data so I don't get

Is this something new? I upgraded to the 5s last year and have unlimited data as well. Att I assume?

I'm grandfathered in, too. I just get a new 2 yr agreement with AT&T and keep my same plan, when I upgrade my phone. Never had a problem. I'd ask about that, Chad.....:)

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I'm grandfathered in, too. I just get a new 2 yr agreement with AT&T and keep my same plan, when I upgrade my phone. Never had a problem. I'd ask about that, Chad.....:)

That's what I've been doing too. But I was warned online that I would have to when the 6 came in when I ordered it. We'll see. If I have to, I'll call. If they say no I'll send it back and go to a new carrier when my full 2 years is up. That threat has worked miracles before and I will follow through it needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wrobi2016
    Top Bottom