It has begun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Mobile (Alabama) says it started Mardi Gras. What do you say?
    I say Mobile is a nice clean little city with good fishing, great museums and interesting Civil War historical sites. Y'all come back now.

Back to Mardi Gras. While this claim is an article of faith among Mobile natives, we can't find that the city makes this claim. Neither does New Orleans. Both cities tap dance around the issue, because in fact, both have bragging rights. In fact, the founding fathers of modern Mardi Gras traditions did not see it as a competition between Mobile and New Orleans, but rather as a cooperative effort between buddies. Both cities have gone through periods when Mardi Gras almost died out, and each has been instrumental in exporting traditions to the other and keeping the fire going.

Neither New Orleans nor Mobile started Mardi Gras, of course.

Carnival/Mardi Gras is a European import, celebrated long before Columbus was a gleam in his Daddy's eye. In fact, long before it was Christianized, it was a pagan bacchanalia of drinking and debauchery . . . which hasn't changed much. Much of Catholic - or formerly Catholic - Europe celebrates Carnival under one name or another, again as a season of partying before Lent, as do many of its former colonies. The early explorers and settlers of both New Orleans and Mobile arrived with a tradition of Mardi Gras and adapted the tradition to their new home.

Historically the first recorded celebration of Mardi Gras in what is now the United States occurred in 1699, on a Mississippi River island just downstream from modern New Orleans. The French explorer who threw the party named the place Mardi Gras Island. He then moved upriver and staked out the site for modern New Orleans. Mobile skeptics say this celebration is disqualified since the city of New Orleans didn't exist, except in the explorer's dreams, but that sounds like sour grapes to us. Mobile's first recorded celebration was in 1704.

In both areas, celebrations took place to varying extents from the very beginning of settlement, picking up additional traditions as new waves of immigrants arrived. Partying in New Orleans, in fact, was at times out of control, which eventually brought crackdowns from the Spanish and new American governments, especially focusing on masking and bawdy street partying. This brought the public celebration of Mardi Gras in New Orleans to a sputter in the early 19th Century. Slowly the Creoles won back permission to expand Mardi Gras celebrations, until masking and street celebrations were again legalized. Mobile stepped into the picture in 1857, when members of the Cowbellian de Rakin Society helped blueblood New Orleans pals set up the Mystic Krewe of Comus, the pioneering parading krewe in the Crescent City. This launched an explosion of new Mardi Gras traditions. What Mobile can accurately claim is a nearly 300-year tradition of organized Mardi Gras celebrations, leadership in the creation of some modern Mardi Gras traditions, and exporting at least one of the most important traditions to New Orleans - the parading krewe.

By the way, you may be interested to know that Gulfport, Mississippi, also claims to have been the site of the first American Mardi Gras. If you take the famous Ship Island excursion ride, you'll find an article from a local newspaper on the wall that claims that Ship Island was the REAL Mardi Gras Island referred to by the explorer.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Ash wednesday and lent is a catholic made up season. It's symbolic but not celebrated by any other christian sects. Carnival is an excuse to party before the 40 days of fasting and sacrifice associated with lent.

Oh and penguin, the website you cited was a catholic site. No biblical support.

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Ash wednesday and lent is a catholic made up season.

What? A religion, based upon doctrine and religious teachings, make up their own holidays? Are you saying Baptist's don't support lent? That would make them..gasp...a separate religion!! Who would have thought!! Of course it's a Catholic holiday. And if you want to get picky, Christmas is a Catholic holiday that stems from the Christ Mass...

It's symbolic but not celebrated by any other christian sects.

So is St. Joesph's day. Heck, that (and All Saint's Day) are really only celebrated here. That doesn't make it any less of a holiday.

Carnival is an excuse to party before the 40 days of fasting and sacrifice associated with lent.

The party is due to the fasting re: Lent.

Jeebus. You're right. Catholic holidays aren't based on the bible. They just make them up... Do some of your own research and you'll see... I tire of having to do this all for you only to have you attempt to diminish the Catholic religious holidays because you don't see the words "Mardi Gras is a Catholic Holiday". You know what, Easter isn't mentioned as a holiday (it is mentioned, but not as a holiday) and neither is Christmas in the bible, yet you still celebrate those as religious holidays. Quit trying to split hairs, it won't get you far.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Ash wednesday and lent is a catholic made up season. It's symbolic but not celebrated by any other christian sects. Carnival is an excuse to party before the 40 days of fasting and sacrifice associated with lent.

You'r wasting your time . He twists things to fit his own agenda . I'm STILL waiting on that Biblical reference to Mardi Gras ( or anything close ) . The fact that it's not a Catholic Holy Day of Obligation escapes him . Ash Wednesday is just that , Wednesday . I think Mardi Gras falls on a Tuesday this year . :rofl:

I still maintain that Thanksgiving is not a legitimate religious holiday . No Biblical reference there either . Praying before you eat doesn't legitimize the holiday . It's a personal thing that some people practice .

Penguin , you want to tackle that All Saints Day , Ash Wednesday holiday thing , or do you concede that one ? I'd still like to know of anybody that get's those days off .

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    You'r wasting your time . He twists things to fit his own agenda . I'm STILL waiting on that Biblical reference to Mardi Gras ( or anything close ) . The fact that it's not a Catholic Holy Day of Obligation escapes him . Ash Wednesday is just that , Wednesday . I think Mardi Gras falls on a Tuesday this year . :rofl:

I still maintain that Thanksgiving is not a legitimate religious holiday . No Biblical reference there either . Praying before you eat doesn't legitimize the holiday . It's a personal thing that some people practice .

Penguin , you want to tackle that All Saints Day , Ash Wednesday holiday thing , or do you concede that one ? I'd still like to know of anybody that get's those days off .

Your missing the point. It's about teh poor muslims :mamoru:

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    You'r wasting your time . He twists things to fit his own agenda . I'm STILL waiting on that Biblical reference to Mardi Gras ( or anything close ).

Christmas isn't mentioned in the Bible. I guess I twist that to my own agenda to celebrate that as a religeous holiday, too.... I concede. I concede that even with your own statements you can't believe anything that I write. I concede that if it's not in the bible, it's not a holiday. So what do you plan on doing for 12/25 this year (seeing as it's not a holiday anymore).

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    It's a shame that so many on here are so closed minded and racist that they can't see the writing on the wall. Welcome to 2008.

Spell it out for me penguin. What's the writing on the wall. Their religion HATES anyone who is not them. I have no sympathy for someone like that. As good as muslims can be their religion is fatally flawed. I got nothing against the people. I got something against the changes they are forcing at the tyson plant.

I DO have something against them bringing that **** over here forcing us to change the way our society functions. To many people died to make this the greatest country on earth. If there is a majority of praticing muslims in an incorparated city limits should they be able to enact sharia law? Where will it end? Look to europe.

Resorting to calling someone racist is weak. You don't know me.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Christmas isn't mentioned in the Bible. I guess I twist that to my own agenda to celebrate that as a religeous holiday, too.... I concede. I concede that even with your own statements you can't believe anything that I write. I concede that if it's not in the bible, it's not a holiday. So what do you plan on doing for 12/25 this year (seeing as it's not a holiday anymore).
    Talk about twisting **** . Please quote me where I said Christmas isn't a religious holiday . I SAID QUOTE ME , don't make stuff up . The birth of Jesus is mentioned in the Bible . About as legitimate as you can get .

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    This thread has served it's usefulness.

I only posted so people could come up with their own opinions of Tyson.

Not to start another holy war over the origination and history of American recognized holidays:rofl:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Actually, someone was telling me today that she just returned from an island off Honduras. She'd been on vacation there for 2 weeks and they were celebrating 'Carnival'. I know Rio has a Carnival celebration (which I thought was actually older than ours). And I know they celebrate it in St. Croix. Does everyone do it at different times? Are they related? Or is it just an excuse for a party?

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Read a ******* history book. Screw FAUX NEWS.

You would support the people who teach their children this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHdWgES-Uw

Obviously, since all palestinians are terrorists?

WTF would you like it if all people thought america was nothing but Branch Davidians?

So please... you can find dirt on anyone and anything. Thank you for you link, im sure you put a lot of thought into it.
    I bet Palestine has room for you you need a ticket?

HAHAH Your a funny one, i bet BNP would love to have you, you going to your Klan meeting with your mom/wife this weekend?

Im sure you get my point, as i have pointed out earlier i do not deal with smart ass remarks very well. I prefer to use my brain...no matter how young and immature it is :rolleyes:

Spell it out for me penguin. What's the writing on the wall. Their religion HATES anyone who is not them. I have no sympathy for someone like that. As good as muslims can be their religion is fatally flawed. I got nothing against the people. I got something against the changes they are forcing at the tyson plant.

All religions are fatally flawed, this isnt about their religion as a whole, its about your ignorant views of a group of people.

I DO have something against them bringing that **** over here forcing us to change the way our society functions. To many people died to make this the greatest country on earth. If there is a majority of praticing muslims in an incorparated city limits should they be able to enact sharia law? Where will it end? Look to europe.

Um wow, yea sense shariah law is constitutional :rolleyes: :mamoru:

Resorting to calling someone racist is weak. You don't know me.

And judging from your posts you are both a racist, and closed minded.

Thank you for you time, atleast i now know why McLiberal was picked as the republican nominee :rolleyes:
    Oh noes the evil foreigners!!!!
    Unless any of you are Native American, you cant say that this is a country of your people and only your people.. we must share it, and i dont care how evil a group of people is, they still have their ******* rights.
    If you deny them their rights, you are no better then Ahmedinajhadhoweverthefuckyouspellhisname.:o

Goodnight.

J

jayd

Obviously, since all palestinians are terrorists?

WTF would you like it if all people thought america was nothing but Branch Davidians?

you can find dirt on anyone and anything. Thank you for you link, im sure you put a lot of thought into it.

Here's another link for you
    http://www.adl.org/terrorism/profiles/al_aqsa_tv.asp

That is about the TV station that ran the program
    and oh, BTW
    all I did was post a link to a state approved TV show on Palestine

I made no statements of finding dirt Palestinians or terrorists

just a link to a TV show, that all those peace luvin Palestinians made :rofl:

Born4spd

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Baton Rouge and Killian/Springfield
    Here's another link for you
    http://www.adl.org/terrorism/profiles/al_aqsa_tv.asp

That is about the TV station that ran the program
    and oh, BTW
    all I did was post a link to a state approved TV show on Palestine

I made no statements of finding dirt Palestinians or terrorists

just a link to a TV show, that all those peace luvin Palestinians made :rofl:

There are plenty of things that the FCC views as OK that i disagree with...

I dont trust the adl.. i prefer the JFPO.

Adl= Bleeding heart Liberal Jewish Organization.

Wow this thread has gotten crazy.

I dont care about all of the minor details, i just want people to admit that there are GOOD muslims.

I know there are, i know many of them.

Dont believe everything these guys say about islam or the middle east in general. :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_for_the_New_American_Century

reelkaos

Rookie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Springfield
    This country was founded on Christian principles, right or wrong. This country has been the most prosperous in recent history. Here we can live modestly or become a millionaire if we have the will. (man or woman)

In the Muslim dominated countries there is very little education, they send the upper class individuals out of country for higher level learning. A woman is a second class citizen at best, she is practically traded at will. The Jewish state is flourishing in the desert since 1949 I believe it is. It was not developed as it is now for centuries. Is that the Muslim way of life, I don't know?

One thing I have always found funny is, they seem to want to keep the 6th century way of life but, they love modern weapons.

I just don't think their way of life is the answer. If we start to adopt it, we will be moving backwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom