It's a waste of time and money

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Man I've worked these spill sites for like 80 hours and counting. Then another six days after tomorrow. If a hurricane comes in and I get called in to work that, between the disaster itself and exhaustion I just might lay over and quietly die.

Just remember - In chaos there is profit.

There's a lot of money to be made on this effort, or in the efforts left vacant by pulling resources onto this cleanup. Lots of money. Do a good job for the people.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Always. Haven't had but two patients and they were very very minor things. The guys here at my site are really cool, fun to talk to.

And as far as this being a "waste of time and money", this oil will have to be cleaned up either way. By letting it build up, you're putting off a job that will have to be done anyways. You won't save much time if any. What's being done in most areas that aren't hit hard, like my current location, is tar ball clean up and the companies training their men in the Tydex suits, getting them acclimated to the weather and working conditions. This is crucial due to many of them being from out of state or typically having other jobs that don't require shoveling sand in 105*+ heat indexes while wearing practically a garbage bag that is sealed off.

Not to mention, it's not like these workers are working nonstop hours and going home. The heat is requiring them to take breaks in between 20min sessions to allow them to cool off. That means this effort will take time, and might as well get started.

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    And in response to the wild life discussion, beach clean up and wild life rescue are two different tasks set by BP. Anyone working in this site or other sites, including myself, CAN NOT touch oiled wild life. This is regulations set by BP. If one were to touch an oiled animal, that person becomes liable for it's outcome. We are supposed to contact a number and report the wild life we see, dead or alive.

I don't completely agree with this, especially offshore. Boats are on the water skimming oil and burning it. In the process, wild life is getting caught in the oil and can't help itself. The men set fire to the crude despite what's in it. I'm no PETA fag, but this sickened me when I got word of it. I hope they fix that soon.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    What I am saying is that at the current time frame the meager attempts are so "meager" that it's like trying to rebuild a home that has been completely wiped out by a tornado by using a 3 month old baby to try to rebuild it. It ain't gonna happen.

If the powers that be would make a massive effort to develop some new, workable technology to recover and clean up the oil then I am for it.

But for now it's just mostly being done for political showmanship.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Well, aside from impossibly freezing the waters of the Gulf, what do recommend? This entire situation is pushing our limits both technologically and physically. Massive improvisation is taking place as it is.

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I do wish they'd stop the dispersants. They're killing the oyster beds... Not to mention the possible long term effects.
    They need to build a more effective cap.
    The environmentalist would never allow it but a very small nuke (or tons of conventional explosives) might just seal that leak.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    I don't like idea of using an explosive, considering it could come out really good.... or very very bad. The dispersant is unnecessary as well, it's only making things worse.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Things are already very very bad. Unless of course we detonate that methane pocket underneath (if it exists) and that would be in the nature of a disaster of biblical proportions...

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    That's what i wouldn't want to risk. Something like that, or simply blowing the well open beyond repair.

I think the "blowing the well open beyond repair" thing is what's actually stopping the use of explosives. The "environmentalists" have little to do with that.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I don't have the links rite easy, but there are several that talk about a 60% plus success rate on the nuke option

If you haven't been keeping up, there is the possibility that when sea water pressure overcomes pool pressure the sea water will rush into a very hot cavern and the steam explosion will make the real disaster.....lots worse than the erl

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    No one but a fool can predict the percent of success in collapsing and completely sealing a well gushing that quantity of oil using a nuclear explosion at that depth of water. Any predictions are wild guesses.

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    I don't have the links rite easy, but there are several that talk about a 60% plus success rate on the nuke option

If you haven't been keeping up, there is the possibility that when sea water pressure overcomes pool pressure the sea water will rush into a very hot cavern and the steam explosion will make the real disaster.....lots worse than the erl

those people are also idiots.

a few things...

1) When sea water pressure overcomes the pool pressure, it will be because the pool pressure drops TO (not below) the pressure of sea water at that depth. What this means is that the leaks will simply go from gushing, to a very slight seep, the water will not 'rush into the pool' because the pool is still occupied by a liquid at the same pressures. (The oil will seep from it due to a lower specific gravity than sea water.....sea water gamma = 1.23-1.25, oil is around 0.8)

2) As the pressure in the pool decreases, the temperature will drop at the same time.

3) I have not been able to find a specific temperature of the well, but from what I have been able to find, it is not above 500 degrees, which means that water will not turn to steam at the pressures it is at.....it would take a temperature of 650*F to turn liquid water into steam at 2250psia. Salt water is a bit differant, but salt water has a HIGHER vapor point than fresh water, so it would actually take more.

Without steam tables for salt water, I cannot give an exact temp, but it should be around 10% more than fresh water.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Bahh... I'll remove it before more people get angry.

Btw, I'm not racist. I just dislike obama, extremely.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom