It's been a bad day .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Sorry to hear about that Dan. If she needs physical therapy Eddie Johnson owns a clinic in Central and one in Watson. He's a good guy and will take good care of her.

Charles

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    So sorry to hear the news. Prayers sent to all of you and your family.

My opinion:

First offense drunk driving--large fine, license suspended 1 year.
    Second offense--Permanent loss of license, 2 years minimum jail time, GPS bracelet for life.

Any injuries due to drunk driving..Triple the above.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Dan, what about UM (uninsured motorist) coverage? That ought to cover this, right? I'm no insurance agent but hopefully yours could tell you.

I have it because a quick trip down Gardere Lane to see all the brown, faded and tattered *temp* tags will motivate you to get it. Those tags are presumably in place after the plates have been liberated from the vehicle by LEO for non-payment on their insurance. I've heard one can actually buy a temp tag, say, where you can buy other necessities such as crack and/or weed.

Saftman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Lafayette, La.
    Sorry to hear that. You do need to get an attorney. Was the car in the driver's name or someone else's name (parents maybe?). You could probably go after their home or other possessions. If you need any help PM me. My wife is in the legal field & could probably give some advice. Don't feel sorry about taking his home or anything, go for blood.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The ****head had no insurance . Uninsured Motorist Coverage pays for medical expenses , as I understand it . That's covered anyway . If the guy was drunk at noon on a Wednesday , he probably doesn't have a job anyway . We won't come out ahead on this situation , I already accepted that .

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    I'm really sorry to hear about your wife's accident and hope she has a speedy recovery. Best wishes to both of you.

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Yeah it's good to know the person learned their lesson the first time they were given a DUI. What should happen is the person should pay for the damages period. I don't care if it takes 50 years. Every penny they earn should go to you till their debt is paid off. That would teach them a lesson.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    That sucks.
    Your wife is in my prayers, Dan.
    Shame that in the absence of payment for all damages, that you can't feed the drunk a frickin' bullet.
    True DUI deterrent, no recidivism. ;)

Art

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Prayers sent for you and your wife. Check with the DA's office and see what sort of victim's compensation things are set up for this kind of case. If you can't get a lawyer to sue the guy, then maybe you can get a bit of your tax dollars back.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Dan, what about UM (uninsured motorist) coverage? That ought to cover this, right? I'm no insurance agent but hopefully yours could tell you.

I am... :)

UM will usually pay for med bills, lost time at work, disability, and pain and suffering. You might also carry medical payments coverage. Let that pay your out of pocket medical bills first. Then talk to your adjuster about getting paid for disability and loss of work. Your health ins co is going to go after your auto policy eventually, so make sure you get paid what you're owed before they go to your car ins co with a hand out...

Top Bottom