I've had it with the NRA

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm sick of getting email solicitations from them for superfluous bullshite like insurance. And to make matters worse, they're using really tacky methods. My inbox had this message line this morning...

"Confirmation of change to NRA Account"

The email was trying to sell me insurance with this come-on

NRA MBR: XXXXXXXXXXXX
    OFFICIAL ACCT.#: 000168792529
    PENDING CHANGE: NRA endorsed Family Life benefit account is currently authorized for $50,000.00 benefit addition. No blood work or lengthy form required.
    REQUIRED: Confirmation to finalize $50,000.00 NRA Member benefit change.

This is tacky. I don't want to be associated with an organization that uses "Sham-Wow" style selling. It cheapens the NRAs image. I would like them to stop.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It can be annoying, but don't let it bother you to the point that you forget the goal!

They are just trying to raise money for the cause through other avenues, and it only takes seconds to delete them.

And Troy_mclure is right; you can request they stop. Seems reasonable to me.

I will say this; I have taken advantage of their life insurance. $11.00 per month for $500,000.00 for my family if I fall out of a tree stand and kill myself. Hunting can be dangerous when you climb trees to 50-60 feet. ;)

Last edited:

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    My objection is to the Sham-Wow marketing. It's tacky and beneath the dignity of the organization we entrust with arguing constitutional law.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    As said already, a five minute phone call will end it all. Your option is to do nothing to preserve your rights, which are in peril at this very moment. Now, more than ever, it is important to support the single most effective venue for the defense of your 2nd amendment rights.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    My objection is to the Sham-Wow marketing. It's tacky and beneath the dignity of the organization we entrust with arguing constitutional law.

Same thing happened to me back in 1999 when I bought my first revolver. It included membership in the NRA.

After the third call over three months the junk mail and email continued, so I had them cancel my membership.

Bunch of arrogant SOBs regardless of their aims. I don't have to put up with it.

At least AARP did something when I called them about the same thing. The NRA figures they are above it all.

YMMV
    :ohreally:

lawarren0351

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have been an NRA member since I was 15 years old and have never had this problem. I never get e-mails and the only mail other than American Rifleman magazine that they send me is a couple times a year when it gets time for me to renew. Their customer service has always been fast and courteous when I have called them. It may have something to do with the region that you live. I am not sure. You should look into joining the National Shooting Sports Foundation if you are disenchanted with the NRA. I have never heard any complaints about them.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I signed up for a "free promotional year" and am still spammed today after many years and many phone calls/emails requesting they stop.

I got a DVD in the mail a few months ago that said "If you keep this, send us money! Otherwise pay postage to send it back!" I threw it away. They're still sending me letters asking for the $10 for some stupid DVD I never asked for.

It's miserable. I'd rather give my hard earned money to LSA at least they leave me alone.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I wasn't to impressed with the NRA until I joined the business alliance. They offer a TON of business tools for gun related businesses to operate. Also, their insurance rates and merchant account rates are second to none.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I never get e-mails and the only mail other than American Rifleman magazine

That's the funny part, I have NEVER received my monthly magazine.

For those of you telling me to opt out or to remember the mission, you're not getting the point. The NRA should have more class than this, that's the point. Someone I support shouldn't act like Nigerian scammers with misleading emails and such.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That's the funny part, I have NEVER received my monthly magazine.

For those of you telling me to opt out or to remember the mission, you're not getting the point. The NRA should have more class than this, that's the point. Someone I support shouldn't act like Nigerian scammers with misleading emails and such.

I got the point! I've expressed the same concern to the home office. If it is any consolation, the insurance, the wine club, and those other entities ARE NOT actually NRA! They are partners.

SamNavy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    Belle Chasse, LA
    I try not to think too highly of myself, but when it comes to the firearms industy, I'd really like to believe that there is a certain fundamental honor about how they do business. I'm not talking about a secret code of ethics, but more that there is a motivation beyond the simple mathematics of business. Signing up for a membership and then being bombarded with "tabloid-style-click-here" tactics makes me personally feel cheap.

I completely agree with Pacioli.

44spl

Community Organizer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Pacioli, I get your point, I get solicitations from NRA-ILA daily(after you send them one nickle they flood your mailbox), BUT! if you support the 2nd who else is gonna fight for your right? Just delete the email and toss the snail mail. The NRA makes a difference and gets results for gun owners. They can only exist with our support. Remember George Soros and Mike Bloomberg are worth billions.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I signed up for a "free promotional year" and am still spammed today after many years and many phone calls/emails requesting they stop.

I got a DVD in the mail a few months ago that said "If you keep this, send us money! Otherwise pay postage to send it back!" I threw it away. They're still sending me letters asking for the $10 for some stupid DVD I never asked for.

It's miserable. I'd rather give my hard earned money to LSA at least they leave me alone.

+1 on LSA.

I believe the closer to home my money goes, the more effective it is.

YMMV
    :ohreally:

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    The NRA looks out for the NRA, and every now and then speaks up to protect the second amendment "constitutional right to hunt."

Both Heller and McDonald, two landmark cases lately for gun rights recently, were not brought on by the NRA at all. In fact, the NRA did everything they could to stop them, and then later joined when they thought the cases looked good.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Yes call them and express yourself. The NRA themselves do not make or approve the ads their associates use. They need to know about the underhanded tactics that are being used.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I agree. When they aren't using "sham wow" marketing, they are using scare tactics. You guys remember those infomercials from a few years ago that was basically 4 hours of guns being cut in half on a table saw?
    I support what the NRA stands for, but I just can't support their methods. They are tacky and classless, and I know that is what works, but I just don't like it.

Grim333

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Madisonvile, La.
    I find their marketing very annoying. I joined the NRA last June. Started getting renewal notices in the fall, and continued to get one every month, about 8 notices in all. I got on the computer last month, just before membership expired, and renewed. Shortly after, I received my new membership card and a request to sign up for an additional year. I got a second letter saying I had not renewed, and should do so immediately. And all this in addition to offers for insurance, training dvds, etc.

I'm going to call and see if they will back off a bit. I need only 1 renewal notice, a couple of weeks before expiration.

Top Bottom