Japanese chef knife #2 A walkthru as I work on it - lots of pics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericlosh

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    Slidell LA
    Man that thing is amazing, what would something like that run cash wise. I think my old man would really like something like that(hes the cook of the family). If you could pm me, i may be able to save up some cash and work something out.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Yeah. Probably 175$ shipped. I hate to charge alot but I have a decent amount in materials with the ebony and stabalized koa plus all the other little things like sandpaper, grinder belts etc etc and around 30+ hrs of work into it.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Im gonna do something that most knifemakers especially full timers hate - break down the cost.

The stabalized koa was from a larger piece and was about 30$
    The Gaboon Ebony was a smidge over 10$
    the piece of 1084 steel was around 15-20$
    the copper piece lol was like 75 cents
    Sandpaper close to 10$ (I know this sounds like alot but remeber I sanded before heat treat and after and also sanded the handle up to 2000 grit
    I also used up 2 belts which is 5-10$
    The the misc stuff like buffing compound, electricity in the shop, other tool usage, acid for etch etc etc etc - well who knows Ill say 3.47$ lol

So added up im looking at something like 70-80$ add about 10$ for insured shipping on a big box I end up making 2-3$ a hr for the 30+ hrs into the knife. If I could afford to charge less I would but I have to sell knives to buy more materials and it seems gas is killing me on the shipping charges especially on steel. Im lucky to where I don't do this full time so don't have to maximize profit or make my knives pay for my machinery. Who knows maybe 10 years down the road I might be making world famous top of the line chef knives charging 300-800$ like others lol :rofl: Till then im happy to make just enough profit to afford more knife materials.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Don't apologize for a really great price on a hand-made knife.

Asking for a break down of costs on fora like Blade.Forum is considered tacky.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Don't apologize for a really great price on a hand-made knife.

Asking for a break down of costs on fora like Blade.Forum is considered tacky.

Yeah alot of makers dont like to post prices. Im kinda against it. Is 175 alot for a kitchen knife kinda is it alot for a custom made knife with some nice materials not at all.

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    Well, I was into the knife before, but I think the rounded handle really makes it beautiful. I prefer them over the traditional blocky style. Could you post a couple more pics of the whole knife?

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    Great work and thanks for posting! I admire someone who makes a quality, handmade product and does it right. Wish I had the time
    and expertise to do something like that.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    OK i really suck at photography tho its fun to take pics. My wife has a really nice camera and I tried some tricks and whatnot other blademakers suggested but the result are almost decent I guess. LOL anyway here we go. I will be selling this one - check the for sale forums if interested.

DSC_6023.jpg

DSC_6025.jpg

blastncast2

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Maurice, LA
    cbr900son - That is awesome. I'm a hands on person and like doing everything myself but have never attempted a knife. This post is terrific. I love it when people ask me "where did you get that?" and I can tell them "I made it". I will have to try this one day. Thanks for posting and excellent job.

I work in Broussard so if I get an itch and decide to make one....look out. I'm going to pick your brain, lol.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    cbr900son - That is awesome. I'm a hands on person and like doing everything myself but have never attempted a knife. This post is terrific. I love it when people ask me "where did you get that?" and I can tell them "I made it". I will have to try this one day. Thanks for posting and excellent job.

I work in Broussard so if I get an itch and decide to make one....look out. I'm going to pick your brain, lol.
    Your more then welcome to come and try your hand at making one yourself.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jbruning
    Top Bottom