Junior Shooters Wanted

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you or someone you know are between the ages of 14 and 19 and like to shoot, I have an offer for you.

I am the Louisiana Shooting Association director of junior highpower.

In connection with this I have access to NM AR-15 rifles and highpower equipment such as scopes, stands, mats and stools. I also have access to ammunition.

We are in the process of developing a junior highpower program and a junior highpower team for local, state and national competition. We are looking for interested juniors.

If you are interested in trying highpower, I will provide a rifle and all of the necessary equipment and ammunition as well as a coach for the princely sum of $5 (this is an LSA fee to cover rifle wear and tear). You only need to supply enthusiasm.

If there is enough interest, I will hold another junior clinic. for information on the last clinic, check out the link: http://www.nola.com/timespic/stories/index.ssf?/base/news-16/1190836846248820.xml&coll=1

Feel free to contact me at dzelenka@couhigpartners.com

Dan

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I thought that I might reactivate this thread. We are still looking for junior shooters.

Dan

PS we'll take adults too, but you have to buy your own ammo.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Do they have one for younger kids. My son is 7 and has been shooting the hell out of his AR. I would love to get him into something like this. Ill buy the ammo. Are all the matches in NOLA.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Would I be able to be a "junior"

I turned 20 yesterday :(. Don't think I'd be able to afford the ammo, but I'm an extremely competitive shooter.

PM if you would like to discuss it.

DAVE

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Unfortunately, I don't have anything for younger kids. There are 4H clubs that shoot smallbore and air rifle. It would be best to check out the clubs on the CMP website. www.odcmp.com. Our ARs weigh from 10 - 14 lbs. We find that the younger kids are not physically able to shoot from positon and they wear out as the day goes on. Keep your son interested and we look forward to having him on the team in the future.

The highpower matches are in Gonzales and Donaldsonville.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dave,

Technically you will be a junior until December 31st of this year. We are looking for younger shooters in order to form a team to compete at the Nationals. However, I would be happy to have you come out to Gonzales for a match. The ammo is on me. You will need to pick up the tab for the match and the gun ($5 each). We will see where we go from there.

Dan

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Dave,

Technically you will be a junior until December 31st of this year. We are looking for younger shooters in order to form a team to compete at the Nationals. However, I would be happy to have you come out to Gonzales for a match. The ammo is on me. You will need to pick up the tab for the match and the gun ($5 each). We will see where we go from there.

Dan

As long as the matches are within 2ish hours of Lake Charles/Sulphur I'm totally in. It costs me roughly $30 in gas to make a 2 hour trip one way, so I don't want to kill myself at the pump.

PM me with details, locations, and dates. I will try to take advantage of this as much as possible until December.

Also - these ARE open sight matches right?? I have a strong hatred towards optics and short range targets...........

Thanks a bunch - DAVE

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dave,

I may be able to hook you up with someone from over there to split costs. They are open sight matches. And the targets are actually short range (200 and 300 yards) and mid-range (600 yards). I hope that meets with your approval.

Dan

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Dave,

I may be able to hook you up with someone from over there to split costs. They are open sight matches. And the targets are actually short range (200 and 300 yards) and mid-range (600 yards). I hope that meets with your approval.

Dan

Holy crap, I've never shot 600 yards before!! Hell, I haven't even SEEN a 600 yard shot before!!

When I meant "short range", I was talking about the guys with $200 red dot sights on their rifles shooting at 50 yard targets :D

Would there be any way I could chip in costs to get some practice in?? I know I would be HORRIBLE out of the box, and it would make me more comfortable if I could run 100ish rounds through the rifle. My background with rifles is basically 100 yard shots with a 10/22, 150 yard shots with a crappy Remington Model 34, and 100 yard shots with an AK.

Also - didn't mean to come off as a smartass when asking about the distances and sight situation.

Thanks again - DAVE

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    We do it every week. It isn't as hard as it sounds if you learn the basics and practice them. We have people who can coach you. Perhaps Pangris from this board will chime in and describe how his 15 year old brother with no previous AR shooting experience fared.

The matches are at Donaldsonville on the 3rd Saturday of each month except August and at Gonzales on the 4th Sunday of each month. I recommend the Gonzales match for new shooters.

Dan

Don't worry about asking questions. It is the best way to learn.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Dan I may need to purchase some ammo for the next match.

Is their anyway you think I can get some trigger time to site this thing in? I would like to start the match this time with out chasing my zero!

Gonna see if I can break 400 this time...

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Every week?

Pretty much. If you take a look at the schedule, you can shoot a match nearly every weekend and two on some. In addition to the organized matches, Palo Alto members can shoot there anytime they want. We shoot there most weekends that we don't travel.

I can help you on ammo at the match. I believe that you will find that your new rifle is pretty well sighted in.

Dan

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    LOCAL HIGH POWER RIFLE SHOOTING SCHEDULE

EACH MONTH:

1ST SATURDAY
    Palo Alto – Donaldsonville, LA 60 shot 600 yd Prone Match
    Burns Range – Bogue Chitto, MS 50 shot Across the Course Match

2ND SATURDAY
    Pascagoula, MS 80 shot Across the Course Match

2ND SUNDAY
    Pascagoula, MS 60 shot 600 yd Prone Match

3RD SATURDAY
    Palo Alto – Donaldsonville, LA 80 shot Across the Course Match

4TH SATURDAY
    Golden Triangle – Beaumont, TX 80 shot Across the Course Match

4TH SUNDAY
    Ascension Parish Sheriff’s range – Gonzales, LA 50 shot 200 Yard Reduced Match

LAST SATURDAY
    Ft. Polk - Leesville, LA, 80 shot Across the Course Match or Vintage Rifle Match most months

High Power practice and Vintage Military Rifle Matches are held at Palo Alto on the 2nd Saturday of the month from time to time. These events will be announced.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Are the scores counted the same on the reduced range match?

Any body up for a car pool to the Pascagoula match this Sat and/or Sunday? or the Palo alto match next weekend...

I really would like to shoot the next match but would probably benefit from another Short course.

What does the Pascagoula, MS 60 shot 600 yd Prone Match entail?

What could I really expect using 75 gn bullets out to 600 yards? How much wind would zing em out the 9 ring?

Gonzales is about a hour, Palo Alto a hour and 20 min, and Bogue Chitto is just under 2 hours... the rest are to far with out getting a hotel.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Scores are counted the same for all across the course/reduced course matches. Mid range (600 yd) prone matches are counted seperately.

There is no Palo Alto match for August. There may not be one for Pascagoula either. Too hot and alot of shooters are at Perry (or just returned). It is hard to get motivated after shooting matches for 6 days straight.

60 shot 600 yd match is three 20 shot strings at 600 yards frome the prone position.

75 gr bullets at 600 are not that big of a problem if the wind is steady. when it changes velocityor direction or both is when higher BC bullets help. I don't know the answer to the second half of the question, but you could easily figure it out on a ballistic calculator. A good estimate with an 80 gr Sierra in .223 is about 1/2 MOA per mph of full value wind (or a little more).

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    To come out and shoot? No.

To take advantage of the junior offer? Yes. The LA Junior Program is for LA Juniors. One of its primary goals is to establish a state junior team. To be a member of the team, you need to be a resident.

I will still let you rent equipment and purchase ammo if you want to learn to shoot.

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom