Knee Replacements ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Anyone that has had knee replacement surgery, could you please share recovery time for physical type work? Any other info would be great.

Grapeape

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2023
    Houma
    Anyone that has had knee replacement surgery, could you please share recovery time for physical type work? Any other info would be great.
    I haven’t had a knee replacement but have had shoulder replacement and the recovery time is about the same. You’re looking at 12+ weeks including physical therapy. Everyone is different in recovery time but that’s the average time you’re looking at.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Everyone is different when it comes to recovery. Things like age and health play a major factor in how quickly one might recover. It’s important during your recovery to make sure you do everything correctly that you can control. Things like staying properly hydrated, getting good nutrition, and getting good sleep play a major role. All you have is time so if you’re not on top of those things it’s no one’s fault but your own. You can do all the physical therapy and take all of the supplements in the world. If you’re putting crap into your body and drinking soda all day instead of water you’re not only hurting your health but your hurting your recovery. Best of luck during your recovery. Hope you get healed up sooner than later.

Also to consider how much $ are you willing to spend on recovering quickly. If you have some disposable income, looking into a doctor who provides therapy via peptides or growth hormone may be something to look into. Treatment like this is still expensive but a lot more affordable today than it’s ever been. With certain peptides or HGH recovery time can be reduced drastically.

Last edited:

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I haven’t had a knee replacement but have had shoulder replacement and the recovery time is about the same. You’re looking at 12+ weeks including physical therapy. Everyone is different in recovery time but that’s the average time you’re looking at.
    After 12+ weeks were you able to do heavy physical work?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Everyone is different when it comes to recovery. Things like age and health play a major factor in how quickly one might recover. It’s important during your recovery to make sure you do everything correctly that you can control. Things like staying properly hydrated, getting good nutrition, and getting good sleep play a major role. All you have is time so if you’re not on top of those things it’s no one’s fault but your own. You can do all the physical therapy and take all of the supplements in the world. If you’re putting crap into your body and drinking soda all day instead of water you’re not only hurting your health but your hurting your recovery. Best of luck during your recovery. Hope you get healed up sooner than later.

Also to consider how much $ are you willing to spend on recovering quickly. If you have some disposable income, looking into a doctor who provides therapy via peptides or growth hormone may be something to look into. Treatment like this is still expensive but a lot more affordable today than it’s ever been. With certain peptides or HGH recovery time can be reduced drastically.
    I appreciate the info, I’m gonna do everything possible to be smart about recovery. Money will be an issue but I do have some savings set aside so I will talk to the doctors about any and all recovery methods available.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    Yes eventually, don’t advise you to rush it though. Got to let it heal properly or you’ll be looking at doing it again sooner than you’d like
    This is what happened to a neighbor and good friend of mine. He is having a hard time recovering from the second surgery. On the other hand, my primary care giver who was an avid spin biker, recovered in about six weeks and returned to his office full time. My orthopedic doctor recommended riding a bike to relieve knee pain, it was very effective. My advice is to condition your knee prior to surgery, see YouTube for more info. Good luck!

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    This is what happened to a neighbor and good friend of mine. He is having a hard time recovering from the second surgery. On the other hand, my primary care giver who was an avid spin biker, recovered in about six weeks and returned to his office full time. My orthopedic doctor recommended riding a bike to relieve knee pain, it was very effective. My advice is to condition your knee prior to surgery, see YouTube for more info. Good luck!
    Great info, I love biking and it’s something I wanna do more of so it may be a perfect time to dust it off.
    I have a appointment coming up soon and will find out exactly what the plan is for me. The doctor I saw years ago wanted to do knee replacements but I had no health care and had to deal with it, however now I have health care and I’m starting to fall a lot more so I can’t put it off any longer.

Love2shoot

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Prairieville
    I have had 15+ knee surgeries and the final being a knee replacement. It is the best thing I ever did for my knee! I was walking in days before I even left the hospital. Dr Craig Greene in BR did it and he is incredible. Prayed with me before surgery and he was unbelievably helpful both preop and postop. I was doing physical therapy within a week and pain free and feeling awesome in 6ish weeks. Definitely recommend doing it under General anesthesia!

Attachments

• IMG_1453.png
      IMG_1453.png
      1.6 MB · Views: 65
    • IMG_1454.png
      IMG_1454.png
      1.6 MB · Views: 65

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I have had 15+ knee surgeries and the final being a knee replacement. It is the best thing I ever did for my knee! I was walking in days before I even left the hospital. Dr Craig Greene in BR did it and he is incredible. Prayed with me before surgery and he was unbelievably helpful both preop and postop. I was doing physical therapy within a week and pain free and feeling awesome in 6ish weeks. Definitely recommend doing it under General anesthesia!
    Man you made me feel better and scared all in the same post lol. Glad it went well for you and hope you many pain free years thanks for sharing.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I know a guy who had both replaced and he was waking without assistance 2 days later.
    Worth saying though that he was a fitness freak and not a single pound over weight. That makes a difference.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I know a guy who had both replaced and he was waking without assistance 2 days later.
    Worth saying though that he was a fitness freak and not a single pound over weight. That makes a difference.
    I need to lose some weight myself, I’m currently working on cleaning up my diet. I’d like to lose about 30lbs before surgery.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    As someone who has had major back surgery I learned a few lessons the hard way. First off I had 2 level lumbar fusion an I put it off so long I could hardly work or even walk without pain. I wish I would have been in better shape before the surgery, but the pain I was in kept me from doing any more physical movement than necessary, Second like everyone said check all your options for recovery. I am a automotive tech and my job would NOT let me do much of anything for the whole year I was weight restricted. There were different levels of weight and movement I was allowed during the year of recovery, but my company was very cautious about me doing anything. So I sit here now sore and in mild pain from my body being somewhat "dormant" for this amount of time. Mind you I'm 59 now and just got released to do normal work so I'm trying to get back into shape which isn't easy.

Funny thing is I will probably be needing knee replacement soon myself and my Mom is going to have it done in Sept so I will have some knowledge of what happens and recovery times from her. So my take on this and from what everyone's telling you is: Get into shape first, loss weight if possible, eat healthy and these things should help you out. Good luck brother and keep us informed on things!

Attachments

• back pic.jpg
      back pic.jpg
      582.8 KB · Views: 58

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    As someone who has had major back surgery I learned a few lessons the hard way. First off I had 2 level lumbar fusion an I put it off so long I could hardly work or even walk without pain. I wish I would have been in better shape before the surgery, but the pain I was in kept me from doing any more physical movement than necessary, Second like everyone said check all your options for recovery. I am a automotive tech and my job would NOT let me do much of anything for the whole year I was weight restricted. There were different levels of weight and movement I was allowed during the year of recovery, but my company was very cautious about me doing anything. So I sit here now sore and in mild pain from my body being somewhat "dormant" for this amount of time. Mind you I'm 59 now and just got released to do normal work so I'm trying to get back into shape which isn't easy.

Funny thing is I will probably be needing knee replacement soon myself and my Mom is going to have it done in Sept so I will have some knowledge of what happens and recovery times from her. So my take on this and from what everyone's telling you is: Get into shape first, loss weight if possible, eat healthy and these things should help you out. Good luck brother and keep us informed on things!
    WOW! Hope you can get back to a normal work routine soon. One of my biggest concerns is being out of work for a significant amount of time, I actually love working and staying busy and I’m gonna go stir crazy being laid up. Everyone that know me is convinced I’m gonna screw up my recovery by overdoing it. However so many people has stressed the importance of proper recovery that I’m gonna stick to what the doctor says.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Yes, please do, I know it is tough, but the pain and longer recovery time isn't worth it. I was going crazy sitting around the house at Xmas time (6 months post op) and saw my neighbor had a water leak in his outdoor kitchen area so I figured he's out of town and I can surely go turn off a water valve. So long story short after many trips back and forth across his big yard to get tools to clean mud away from water valve I was walking across it and stepped in a sink hole about a foot deep and jarred my back so bad I spent Xmas in alot of pain. Do what the Dr says my friend, don't do what I did.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    after I had an ACL replacement I had to go to a check up to get cleared for work which was something I was worried about. That day the surgeon had a new young resident with him and while examining me he told the new kid that for guys like me that you sometimes have to give them the clear to go back to work sooner than you’d normally like to. Point is they understand about missing work but use your best judgment. If possible get your leg muscles as strong as possible before the surgery. That’ll help.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    after I had an ACL replacement I had to go to a check up to get cleared for work which was something I was worried about. That day the surgeon had a new young resident with him and while examining me he told the new kid that for guys like me that you sometimes have to give them the clear to go back to work sooner than you’d normally like to. Point is they understand about missing work but use your best judgment. If possible get your leg muscles as strong as possible before the surgery. That’ll help.
    Im not wealthy but I’ve saved up for this knowing the day would come that something would have to be done. Financially I’ll be fine taking off work for however long I need to however mentally it’s gonna take a toll on me because I truly love working but will follow orders and try my best to do everything right. It’s to the point that both knees randomly give out and I fall, the pain is bad but it’s been bad for years but I can’t keep going with the randomly falling I’m gonna end up getting hurt sooner or later.

Last edited:

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    I had a partial knee replacement about 11 years ago and my recovery time was about 12-16 weeks with PT 3x a week. I ride a desk at work, so I can't comment on physical work, but I would listen to your Dr regarding your progress and returning to work. Some things are still difficult, like squatting or kneeling on the knee that was replaced, but being pain free everyday is worth the few months of rehab. The therapists will have you up and walking as soon as you get out of recovery. If you're a smoker, quitting now will help you heal faster.

I'll suggest you take your pain meds on schedule, even if you don't think you need them. I skipped a couple of doses thinking I felt good, and regretted it pretty quickly. Once you get behind the pain, it's really really hard to catch-up and cost me another day in the hospital.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom