Laser for G19???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    My dad just asked me to get a laser for his G19 as a Xmas present. I don't know anything about them. Please let me know what is the best and why.

Thanks in advance

Dan

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Botach, the shady shippers, have the TRL-2 laser & 135lumen light set up for $200. I have the TRL-1 light and freaking love it. Blade-tech makes an -extremely- sturdy and secure OWB Holster for them too.

I don't use lasers, others may have superior suggestions.

The problem with Botach, you never know if you're going to get it...even if they say it is in stock.

Other people sell it for about $250-$300.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    have you looked into the crimson trace ones? I would think that they still allow you to use any standard holster, unlike something slung from a rail.

Crimson%20Trace%20at%20IACP%20Miami%202005_6.jpg

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Botach, the shady shippers, have the TRL-2 laser & 135lumen light set up for $200. I have the TRL-1 light and freaking love it. Blade-tech makes an -extremely- sturdy and secure OWB Holster for them too.

I don't use lasers, others may have superior suggestions.

The problem with Botach, you never know if you're going to get it...even if they say it is in stock.

Other people sell it for about $250-$300.

TLR 1 is a good light and some like the TLR 2 with the Laser.

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    The TRL-1 is 15 lumens brighter than my carry light, and it is a very clean light, easy to use, great shine, lights up an area around the target enough to easily identify people/things, and the beam will blind a person and leave illusions for a bit if shined in the eyes. Its also extremely secure, even if used so it can be quickly attached & detached.

I was shooting at night earlier this week, G19 with XS Big Dots & TRL-1...it may as well have been in broad daylight.

Sorry for the thread drift-ish post.

I guess the reason why I boast it is that a good light is better than a good laser for home defense.

Maybe he just wants the laser as a toy, like I said...others probably have better advice, I don't really like them myself. Makes me feel like I'm carving a Turkey with an Exacto knife instead of my Santoku, lol.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    The only problem I have noticed with the CT grips is that it leaves a wider footprint if he intends to CC.
    **note** This is me just looking at it on paper, I have never tried to see what it looks like while in a holster on my person.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    This is the gun he keeps on the nightstand. He wants the laser and told me to figure out what is the best one.

By the way, his G19 is one of the older ones without the rail so a light on the gun would be out.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Well that sure changes things! Sounds like your options are the internal Lasermax (replaces the guiderod) or the Crimson Trace grips. I've heard a lot of good things about the Lasermax, but many folks are leary of messing with one of the most critical parts of the pistol.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    Every LaserMax guide rod that I've ever seen in a Glock has resulted in reliability issues with the pistol in less than 400rds.

The Crimson Trace unit has significant wandering zero issues.

LaserMax has a new Crimson Trace-like external unit, but I have zero experience with it.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I have a G23 with I would say in excess of 1500 rounds, no FTF or any issues WSO all with a Laser Max installed. The only draw back to the laser max is it is a switch to activate it and you can not do momentary on like you would be able to w/ other units. My wife has crimsion trace grips on her J Frame that allow momentary on which would be desireable in a home invasion IMO. Lasers work both ways.

Paul Gomez

www.Gomez-Training.com
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge, More or Less
    I have a G23 with I would say in excess of 1500 rounds, no FTF or any issues WSO all with a Laser Max installed.

That's impressive. Everytime that I've sent a guide rod back to LaserMax, they've replaced it and we start over. Like clockwork, they run for about 350 to 400 rounds and start exhibiting failures to go into battery and/or failures to extract. I've seen this on about 7 or 8 units over the last four years.

Top Bottom