LEO longarm question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The recent thread about 'what are you issued' brought up a question and rather than muddle that one up...
    Are LEO's limited as to when they can opt to carry a shotgun/ AR? Could you carry your AR every time you get out the car or are there guidelines on when/if?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Policy and Procedure Manual of each department will define the rules and regulations for that department only and they vary from one department to another.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    JP was issued AR's last year, I think the barrels are 14.5".

And I think it was a few months ago that one was taken from a patrol car, but I'm sure it was recovered.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009/07/jpso_recovers_stolen_assault_r.html

150 Colt M4 Law Enforcement rifles the Sheriff's Office purchased in April for $225,000. The rifles were supposed to give deputies more firepower to battle criminals, and the Sheriff's Office is scheduled to purchase 150 more weapons.

Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office recovers stolen assault rifle and arrests four
    Published: Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Col. John Fortunato, a JPSO spokesman, said the $1,500 rifle was recoved Tuesday night in the attic of an apartment at 1065 Tallow Tree Lane in Harvey. Police were led to the rifle by Sean Preston, 19, of 1536 Stumpf Blvd., who admitted to purchasing the gun for $100 from one of the two juveniles accused of stealing it.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Your question has been answered. Each department has it's own policy.

One department I was with, you could carry what you wanted and deploy at your descretion.

ANother, only issued rifle, but you had to do a use of force paper every time it came out of the car.

Like told before, it is different at every department. let you imagination run wild! From completely lax to makes no sense.

Last edited:

Jimmy Dean

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Yep. Kinda slow, like everything here. Been waiting on them to fix a plane so we can fly out to our site. SHould be leaving monday to go to the site.

damn aircraft maintnance guys...oh wait....I was one of 'em. I am sure they are working as hard as they can....(if there are any titty bar's around...that is where they will be instead of fixing that cursed plane, trust me)

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    only 870's for shotgun, personal is allowed. Rifle has to be AR type from one of the major manufactures. only sights allowed are eotech, aimpoint, or acog. Rifle must have a sling and preferably a light.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Back in the day, it was 12 guage, major manufacturer, with "twin action bars" (meaning then only Remington, Winchester, or Mossberg, with NO Ithicas).

Rifles were almost unknown for basic patrol but SWAT used, and deployed on patrol with Mini 14's.

Aaaaaahhhh. The Jurassic!

Saps, lead filled gloves, steel toed boots, radios in cars but not on belts, vests if you could afford them yourself (worked details to buy my first), reloaded ammo up to magnum levels, and NO camera phones. :)

Doc Holliday

I'm your huckleberry...
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Watson, LA
    No hand-held video, period. And a Buck 110 on the Sam Browne, in a flapped .45 magazine pouch, was necessary to be cool.

Most of the younger bucks here, real LEO or not, are not impressed with "the good old days"... but then, not having seen them, how can they know the difference?;)

Damn, I can remember that! Must make me a dinosaur, too.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I do remember a burglary cop I knew w/ NOPD carrying a 1911 back in the early 80's.

I also knew a MS state trooper that kept his 30/30 in his trunk...

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Back in the day, it was 12 guage, major manufacturer, with "twin action bars" (meaning then only Remington, Winchester, or Mossberg, with NO Ithicas).

Rifles were almost unknown for basic patrol but SWAT used, and deployed on patrol with Mini 14's.

Aaaaaahhhh. The Jurassic!

Saps, lead filled gloves, steel toed boots, radios in cars but not on belts, vests if you could afford them yourself (worked details to buy my first), reloaded ammo up to magnum levels, and NO camera phones. :)

You forgot the 36" night stick and the High Standard .22 Magnum Derringer in the back pocket.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The recent thread about 'what are you issued' brought up a question and rather than muddle that one up...
    Are LEO's limited as to when they can opt to carry a shotgun/ AR?

Could you carry your AR every time you get out the car or are there guidelines on when/if?

I do not think it would be prudent to display an AR in public when you get out of your unit unless the LEO reasonably believes that the potential for the use of deadly force exists.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    That's kinda what I was getting at. In Europe (2nd hand info, haven't been myself) its not uncommon to see cops carrying smg's (airports, etc. not so much patrolling). If an AR is a better weapon why aren't more cops carrying them. 3 point sling is no different than a holster. They'd be safer. The public would be better off if a shoot happened- more accurate and less overpenetration. And LEO's would project a more intimidating image. I'm thinking more of the downtown NOPD street cop than you rural guys, btw....

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    No hand-held video, period. And a Buck 110 on the Sam Browne, in a flapped .45 magazine pouch, was necessary to be cool.

Most of the younger bucks here, real LEO or not, are not impressed with "the good old days"... but then, not having seen them, how can they know the difference?;)

I still have my "slapjack"!

:D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom