LEO longarm question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Which is exactly why its not done here. Too many administrators are worried more about perception than getting the job done or officer safety, etc. An exception to this is when National Guard troops are deployed, such as they were in the airports for a long time after 9/11, or during disasters, etc. Most of them had/have their rifles. That is more due to the brass not trusting the rank and file with pistols more than anything else.

The Europeans have a generally more practical outlook about such things... up to a point. But, through the ages, Euro cops haven't had to use their weapons nearly as often as we do here, and as a result look at their iron as more of a badge of office than a life-saving tool.

Its a real dichotomy of values, in one regard. For instance, you don't see "regular" Euro cops with shotguns; ever. In Europe, shotguns are considered a purely sporting weapon, and their employment in an anti-personnel mode is viewed as barbaric. Go figure.

As to employing a shoulder gun in everyday patrol ops... try riding around in your car with one strapped up (doesn't matter what sort of sling you choose), getting in and out of the vehicle, writing tickets, working wrecks, answering non-violent calls for assistance... that long gun would get real old, in a real hurry.

Not to mention, you can't shoot me with my own gun if it is still in the holster. If you grab a rifle/SMG still slung, you can get control of it easier.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    My ex is a cop and I think she can only pull out her personal AR on certain situations. I had to laugh though. Last year she was out writing a ticket and her patrol got hit by a DUI driver. Everyone walked away uninjured and the driver that hit her patrol car was arrested by her as soon as the smoke cleared. I saw it on the news and called to check on her when I saw Rescue using the jaws of life to cut open the patrol car. It was destroyed. She laughed. "I'm fine, but the AR is trapped in the trunk and we've gotta her out to check for injuries!". The AR did survive with out even a scratch.:rofl:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    That's kinda what I was getting at. In Europe (2nd hand info, haven't been myself) its not uncommon to see cops carrying smg's (airports, etc. not so much patrolling). If an AR is a better weapon why aren't more cops carrying them. 3 point sling is no different than a holster. They'd be safer. The public would be better off if a shoot happened- more accurate and less overpenetration. And LEO's would project a more intimidating image. I'm thinking more of the downtown NOPD street cop than you rural guys, btw....

It's been 12 years, but when I was in France, the Police I saw(Paris City Police) carried Walther PPs and P5s in thumb-break holsters. The DeGaulle Metro station was patrolled by soldiers with FAMAS bullpups.

Why do LEOs need to project an "intimidating image" on a daily basis? They have a lot of duties that don't involve shooting or being shot at. Sure, there are special occasions where it's necessary, but for day-to-day work among the general public, that would just seem very "Soviet".

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I still have the flat sided in medium size.

I'm a huge fan of Saps and 'jacks. Nothing says stop that violent criminal behavior immediately like a whack on the old Mandibular Angle from the edge of a Sap. As Jelly Bryce said"....It brings the ones that won't."

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I'm a huge fan of Saps and 'jacks. Nothing says stop that violent criminal behavior immediately like a whack on the old Mandibular Angle from the edge of a Sap. As Jelly Bryce said"....It brings the ones that won't."

Me too VG.

Was a fan of the flat side though. Never owned a round one, but lots of folks did. Sucker punch to either side of the head, or no sucker for that matter, and it's pretty much lights out.

And the flat siders seemed to spread the impact out enough that cranial fractures were not prevalent. At least not that I ever saw or even heard about.

Anyone know of a specific statute or policy that forbids their use today? Just don't see them around so was it some type of injury study that stopped usage, PC Admin's, better impact weapons (which I doubt personally but...), what?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    It's been 12 years, but when I was in France, the Police I saw(Paris City Police) carried Walther PPs and P5s in thumb-break holsters. The DeGaulle Metro station was patrolled by soldiers with FAMAS bullpups.

Why do LEOs need to project an "intimidating image" on a daily basis? They have a lot of duties that don't involve shooting or being shot at. Sure, there are special occasions where it's necessary, but for day-to-day work among the general public, that would just seem very "Soviet".

Like I said, I was thinking more of officers having to go into either projects or run down apartment complexes or warehouses. Room clearing can be done with an AR. Accuracy is improved and overpenetration issues are reduced, minimizing lawsuits. I've heard bullet proof vests are becoming more common among the criminals. Why not make it safer for the officers?

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Or how about you can't do 99% of the things Cops have to do the most with a rifle in your hands or strapped across your chest.

Top Bottom